• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

2014–15 Wake Forest 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 Wake Forest 11–20 2–16 13th
2016–17 Wake Forest 19–14 9–9 10th NCAA Division I First Four
2017–18 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 13th
2019-20 Wake Forest 12-15 5-12 14th

Wake Forest: 65–93 (.411) 24–66 (.267)

Unbelievable. Between this overall stat, Wilbekin and now BC being the only two players to spend four years under Manning and our roadd ACC W/L record...I mean...holy fucking hell. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

My brother was at Wofford/ETSU last night and says Forbes is a hot head and screamer compared to sleepy Danny but gets results. Wofford was up 13 at the half. However Forbes made adjustments (unlike sleepy) and clamped down on defense in 2nd half and Wofford folded under the pressure. To me this is exactly what Wake needs. Forbes has split with Furman this year and swept Wes. Has also beaten LSU. They have lost to Pack and have a bad loss to Mercer but beat them the 2nd time around.

Curie knows this guy from Knoxville and I think he has to be odds on favorite at this point.

Me likey

Unbelievable. Between this overall stat, Wilbekin and now BC being the only two players to spend four years under Manning and our roadd ACC W/L record...I mean...holy fucking hell. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

Sounds like termination for cause material.

2014–15 Wake Forest 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 Wake Forest 11–20 2–16 13th
2016–17 Wake Forest 19–14 9–9 10th NCAA Division I First Four
2017–18 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 13th
2019-20 Wake Forest 12-15 5-12 14th

Wake Forest: 65–93 (.411) 24–66 (.267)

If we lose out, Manning will finish with a 65-97 (.401). [Redacted] was 51-76 (.402).

If we lose out, Manning will finish with a 65-97 (.401). [name redacted] was 51-76 (.402).

That would be wrong because that only counts his first 5 years and the rest of this season. Doesn't count what already happened this season.

source.gif

Andrew Yang would be a significant improvement in basketball coaching

no idea how much Andrew currently knows about basketball

Niko Medved from Colorado State got a shout out on ESPNU radio this afternoon. They praised him for getting CSU relevant and nearly beating San Diego State a few weeks ago.

Is anyone else kind of in panic mode right now?

We just beat Duke by double digits last night for the first time in years. Great crowd, tons of students celebrating afterwards.
Now, we could very easily win 14 or 15 games and also an ACC tourney game. I think that could very well happen.

What do we think it would take for him to stay next year? Or do you think Currie already has his mind set no matter what happens. This win to Duke was amazing don’t get me wrong. But there was a bad feeling in my stomach that this is exactly what our program didn’t need.

A lot of folks are still looking at this the wrong way. If he stays for another year, it's not because of the Duke win, which was great by the way. If he leaves, it's not because of the difference of being .500 or four games under .500. The only way winning would have played into this equation is if he put this team in the NCAAT.

It's a financial issue. It was at the end of last season, and it will be again at the end of this season. We'll know one way or the other within the next few weeks. In the meantime, just enjoy all the Wal-Mart TarHole and Dookie tears.

That would be wrong because that only counts his first 5 years and the rest of this season. Doesn't count what already happened this season.

source.gif

Thanks. I guess it was cut and pasted from his Wikipedia page which doesn’t even include this season.

.407 if we lose out
.413 if we win a regular season game and lose on ACCT Tuesday
.411 if we lose out in the regular season and win one ACCT game.

We’ve already covered this.

Thanks. I guess it was cut and pasted from his Wikipedia page which doesn’t even include this season.

.407 if we lose out
.413 if we win a regular season game and lose on ACCT Tuesday
.411 if we lose out in the regular season and win one ACCT game.

He can’t fall below redacted. Damn, there goes any suspense for the season. I’d totally be into an ACC tournament game that determined who would take the ultimate title in futility.

Check your math. Manning is at 108 losses and counting.

He has to be one of the few coaches in Wake history to have triple digit losses at Wake.

Also probably one of few in all college basketball to have 100 or more losses at one school. And I would guess that almost all the rest are successful coaches who slowly accumulated the losses over decades.

He can’t fall below redacted. Damn, there goes any suspense for the season. I’d totally be into an ACC tournament game that determined who would take the ultimate title in futility.

Duke win put him over the top. Otherwise, he'd be at .402 if he lost out.

He has to be one of the few coaches in Wake history to have triple digit losses at Wake.

Also probably one of few in all college basketball to have 100 or more losses at one school. And I would guess that almost all the rest are successful coaches who slowly accumulated the losses over decades.

Yep. By comparison, Roy Williams had 101 losses in 15 years at Kansas. Bill Self has 109 in his 17th season at Kansas. Manning could have more losses at Wake in 6 seasons than the two coaches who took over his alma mater after he won the championship in 1988.

Jeff Goodman Coaching Carousel article: https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-cheat-sheet-for-2020-02-27-2020/

Stars off with "FIVE BURNING QUESTIONS"... One of which is "Will John Beilein return to college hoops?" Says Wake Forest & Boston College could be in play.

THESE GUYS ARE TRENDING OUT: Smart (Texas), Christian (BC), Manning (WFU)

Danny Manning, Wake Forest | Everyone loves Manning, but he just hasn’t gotten it done in Winston-Salem. He made the First Four in 2017, but he has just 15 ACC wins in his other four seasons prior to this year, and is 5-12 this season — which is still 14th in the 15-team ACC even after the big win over Duke earlier this week. Ron Wellman is gone, so look for fairly new AD John Currie to make a move despite Manning’s large buyout. UNCG’s Wes Miller, Texas’ Shaka Smart and maybe even Seton Hall’s Kevin Willard are a few names to watch here.

HIGH-MAJOR COACHES TO WATCH: Smart, Willard, Hurley (Az St), Bennett, Chambers, Pitino (Minny)

1) Shaka Smart, Texas | There’s a good chance that Smart gets out prior to a move being made at Texas, or is able to land quickly even if he is let go. Keep in mind that Smart was an assistant at Clemson from 2006-08, while Wake Forest, Boston College and even DePaul could also all be in play.

3) Bobby Hurley, Arizona State | He’s on track to take the Sun Devils to the NCAA tourney for the third consecutive season, which is something that hasn’t been done since the early 1960s. I’m not sure exactly where Hurley would land, but he’s an East Coast guy who played in the ACC — and there should be a few ACC jobs open.

MID-MAJOR COACHES TO WATCH:

1) Steve Forbes, East Tennessee State | He’s 126-43 in five seasons at ETSU, and has an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2017 on his resume. He’s recruited at the high-major level, has coached in the JUCO ranks and has both southern and midwestern ties. Forbes will be a hot name for just about any opening this carousel.

2) Wes Miller, UNCG | He’s obviously enjoyed plenty of success in the SoCon, and it doesn’t hurt that he played at North Carolina. He’s a heck of a coach. But what could give him an advantage over everyone else at Wake Forest is that the Deacons’ practice facility is the Miller Center — named after Wes’ father, Ken.

3) John Becker, Vermont | He deserves a bigger job after what he’s done in Burlington. Becker has won 70 percent of his games, has taken Vermont to the NCAA tourney two of the past three seasons and has dominated the America East.

Under "UNEMPLOYED AND LOOKING" he mentions Matta is not included because he'll be incredibly selective if he decides to return.

So lots of WFU mentions... Thought was worth passing along.

Kevin Willard falls in the bucket of coaches like Russell Turner and Bobby Hurley, where they are probably very good coaches, but I just can't get excited about the potential for them to be our next coach.

Kevin Willard falls in the bucket of coaches like Russell Turner and Bobby Hurley, where they are probably very good coaches, but I just can't get excited about the potential for them to be our next coach.

Willard is younger than them and will make his 5th straight NCAAT. It would be hard to do better.

Back