• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Congratulations on buying yourself a relationship with a bottom tier ACC men's basketball coach.

No, Manning is the absolute bottom of the Conference...He's a tier by himself.

And yeah, thanks for all you do Mr. Shah, who I guess fashions himself as the "owner" of the Wake basketball program. Since you've been involved Wake has had the worst decade run in modern history. Wake is an extremely underperforming property.

Happy fucking Birthday bossman.

Wes, has what? 3 So Con regular season titles or 4?

The goal is not to hire the most qualified coach. That would be Bob Knight. The goal is to hire the one likely to do the most for WF over the next 30 years.

Would you take a guy who was night shift manager at a Motel6 for one year and make him top manager at Gaylod's Hotel in Opryland?

I'd put Manning in the bottom tier with Pastner and Christian, but that's obviously splitting hairs.

There have been recent coaches that were worse (Stallings), but it is hard to be as bad as Manning has been without losing your job... So comparing him to others is difficult.

I'd put Manning in the bottom tier with Pastner and Christian, but that's obviously splitting hairs.

There have been recent coaches that were worse (Stallings), but it is hard to be as bad as Manning has been without losing your job... So comparing him to others is difficult.
It's not really that difficult...

You just have to have the jackasses we have in charge.

Wes, has what? 3 So Con regular season titles or 4?

The goal is not to hire the most qualified coach. That would be Bob Knight. The goal is to hire the one likely to do the most for WF over the next 30 years.
At this point, I now think you are either, HoF Wes, his Dad, or another blood relative of HoF Wes'.

It's truly the only real explanation for your constant shilling in the face of demonstrably proven facts to the contrary in regards to HoF's record.

Would Wes succeed at Wake? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I DO think Wes would have a passion for the job; I have little doubt about that. Regardless, you obviously have some unspoken private agenda to keep pushing for this bad idea.

P.S: That additional bit about Bobby Knight? Fuck off with that; Bobby Knight was P.O.S from the word Go. And, by and large, every disciple of his is an Capital "A" Asshole too.

Last edited:
At this point, I now think you are either, HoF Wes, his Dad, or another blood relative of HoF Wes'.

It's truly the only real explanation for your constant shilling in the face of demonstrably proven facts to the contrary in regards to HoF's record.

Would Wes succeed at Wake? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I DO think Wes would have a passion for the job; I have little doubt about that. Regardless, you obviously have some unspoken private agenda to keep pushing for this bad idea.

P.S: That additional bit about Bobby Knight? Fuck off with that; Bobby Knight was P.O.S from the word Go. And, by and large, every disciple of his is an Capital "A" Asshole too.

in 29 years at Indiana, Bobby Knight missed the post season once. He won 11 Big Ten Titles, won 20 or more games 22 times, went to five Final Fours, and won three National Championships. But he was a piece of shit.

Danny Manning, by all accounts is a perfectly nice guy, who couldn't coach a 9-10 year-old girls YMCA team.

I guess we're looking for something in between those two.

When I see DR dusting off this tired argument I just read his posts in my head using the voice of Johnny Cochran delivering the Chewbacca defense.

My point was missed. I would not hire Bob Knight in 2019. He is CLEARLY the most qualified available Coach. That does not make him a good hire. We aren’t looking for qualifications. We are looking for results past 2020. That’s Wes Miller. And Wojo. And Kelsey.

But in 2009, HOF Wes would have been a terrible hire.

DR, why can't you admit your trying to equate his experience to K and Deano when they were hired at Duke and UNC was completely without merit and factually wrong.

My point was missed. I would not hire Bob Knight in 2019. He is CLEARLY the most qualified available Coach. That does not make him a good hire. We aren’t looking for qualifications. We are looking for results past 2020. That’s Wes Miller. And Wojo. And Kelsey.

Fuck Wojo.

He wouldn't have made it to last season at Wake. He would have been fired after Year 4 or 5. There's no logic to think an inexperienced coach in bad conference would have done as well or better in the ACC.

Danny Manning parlayed sucking ass and lucking into John Collins into an eight figure contract extension. At Wake Forest, anything's possible.

How do you call being one of the first to see JC's talent "lucking into"?

Danny has failed here, but he did understand JC's promise.

Danny Manning parlayed sucking ass and lucking into John Collins into an eight figure contract extension. At Wake Forest, anything's possible.

Manning had a team with a future perennial all-star and five guys who will have solid to long pro careers and won 11 games.

Manning had a team with a future perennial all-star and five guys who will have solid to long pro careers and won 11 games.

This. Then again, RChill said he played up to his expectations for year 2.

It is funny to look back on that roster with the benefit of some hindsight, but if you look at the HS rankings of those players it's pretty similar to what we'll put out on the court this season.

That's not a defense of Manning... 100% agree that season was disappointing when you see what JC, CMM, Doral, BC, and even Dinos have done since then.

One can accept someone not doing well. What makes Danny really bad is that he has basically quit on the program. That can never be acceptable.

Fuck it. DonaldRoss is right. UNCG is the better program. Hire Wes.

Back