• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Mike Rhoades hasn't finished higher than 5th in his conference in his college coaching gigs.

Agreed, we must do better than Mike Rhoades. It's been sixteen years since he's had any post season success. PASS

Agreed, we must do better than Mike Rhoades. It's been sixteen years since he's had any post season success. PASS

Post-season success? WF needs someone to rebuild the program to a competitive level. At this point, not that worried if the coach may struggle to get WF beyond the 2nd round the NCAA tournament.

As far as post-season success goes with Rhoads: after Rhoads took multiple teams to the D3 tournament, he took the Rice job and got them to the post-season in his third year. Rice isn't exactly a place where even Coach K would have post-season success. Rhoads then took the VCU job, and he's only coached two full years there. Not a big enough sample size to claim that Rhoads system somehow doesn't work in the post-season. As Tony Bennett and Jay Wright showed, given the one and done format really not fair to judge "post-season success" in a small sample size. If a coach can get his team to the post-season, post-season success will come.

OTOH, I think Manning could do a pretty good job with this team in the D3 tournament.

Multiple teams? He coached at one school.

After early success at Randolph-Macon, he had six years with one post season win there.

We need someone with current success and hopefully some P5 experience.

Travis Steele is not leaving Xavier to come to Wake Forest. Please. This isn't 20-30 years ago.

It's not even been 20 years since we did pull a coach from Xavier. I never thought in my lifetime that Wake basketball would be this bad. My lasting image of last night was of seeing Manning looking utterly clueless and unemotional as his team walked past him in defeat.

Putting aside the question of whether Wake is a better job than Xavier, Steele shouldn't be on the list. As a HC, he has one above-average season at Xavier (.500 in conference) and that's it.

We aren't going to draw the interest we did ten years ago, but this is still the ACC and Wake is still a very desirable gig. We can get a coach with a good track record. We just need an AD who can close the deal on said coach.

Wake's new facilities and ACC money will attract plenty of interest as soon as the men's basketball head coaching job is open.

Putting aside the question of whether Wake is a better job than Xavier, Steele shouldn't be on the list. As a HC, he has one above-average season at Xavier (.500 in conference) and that's it.

We aren't going to draw the interest we did ten years ago, but this is still the ACC and Wake is still a very desirable gig. We can get a coach with a good track record. We just need an AD who can close the deal on said coach.

I'm wondering what is the current CFB comparator to the current state of Wake MBB (10 years of sustained futility with one outlier). Biff, what say you?

Noles issues with their football coach search should be a note of caution for advocates of firing Danny before spring.

I don't see any currently unemployed coach who would take the Wake job now.

I'm don't want any coach who would bail on his team during the season.

That would put Rex Walters or Childress as HC for the rest of the season. If Wake has a good season (.500 or better, mid pack ACC finish) under either one, how do you not keep him?

I am willing to take the pain for the next three+ months and jump on the carousel in the spring.

The next three months are homework time for Currie. Line up the funds. Evaluate replacement options. Prepare pink slip for delivery at conclusion of Wake's ACC Tournament "run."

[/B]

I'm wondering what is the current CFB comparator to the current state of Wake MBB (10 years of sustained futility with one outlier). Biff, what say you?

I don't know man. We're historically bad. I might throw Rice football out there. They had a 10-4 year in 2013 where they lost the Liberty Bowl 44-7 to a Dak Prescott MSU team, but that was in the midst of three straight bowl games. David Bailiff coached there 11 years and went 57-80 with a 3-1 bowl record.

What's so incredibly bad with this Wake team is that they constantly lose to really bad teams, which only happens every now and then in CFB.

Don't be surprised when "fan apathy" is floated as the primary reason for a lackluster hire

Noles issues with their football coach search should be a note of caution for advocates of firing Danny before spring.

I don't see any currently unemployed coach who would take the Wake job now.

I'm don't want any coach who would bail on his team during the season.

That would put Rex Walters or Childress as HC for the rest of the season. If Wake has a good season (.500 or better, mid pack ACC finish) under either one, how do you not keep him?

I am willing to take the pain for the next three+ months and jump on the carousel in the spring.

The next three months are homework time for Currie. Line up the funds. Evaluate replacement options. Prepare pink slip for delivery at conclusion of Wake's ACC Tournament "run."

If Danny is fired in season, we will have an interim coach not a permanent one.

Yes, but if that interim coach wins a couple of games, they might get the permanent gig. Just play Manning out and get on with the future.

922-Cones.jpg

We can get this guy and his staff pretty cheap. $10 from Amazon and no buyout for all of them. Would improve upon our current staff tenfold.

An AD halfway worth his ridiculous salary would have been all over coach Mack before Louisville got him. That would have been a very good hire.

The new coach will have a decent first year core in Chaundee, Mucius, Massoud and Sarr. I think Neath could be a solid player with good coaching. The cupboard won't be completely bare.

If Currie cans DM after this season.

Back