• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Thad Matta. And just last week he put his house in Columbus on the market.

That would put Rex Walters or Childress as HC for the rest of the season. If Wake has a good season (.500 or better, mid pack ACC finish) under either one, how do you not keep him?

I'd go with Walters, personally.
But, INTERIM ONLY.

My worry if Walters (or anyone else really) was to go .500 or better as you said, the OWG/Pearl Clutcher Donors would begin to besiege the AD to remove the Interim tag from him (or whoever.)

The ONLY reason I'd prefer Walters as Interim is that he actually has some head coaching skills and experience. (It wasn't mid major world beating experience, but it's still okay for what we'd need) Plus, he does seem to honestly know defense. Somewhat.

Finally, full disclosure: I'd suggest Ernie Nestor first as I did last year if not for the fact he's looked completely checked out on the sidelines this year. I don't know what the particulars of his contract are, but the man seriously looks like he wants to go back into retirement.

Last edited:
An AD halfway worth his ridiculous salary would have been all over coach Mack before Louisville got him. That would have been a very good hire.

LULZ... Chris Mack wasn't coming back to Wake for $10M/yr regardless of who the AD was at the time.

People need to keep in mind that Manning was at best #4 or #5 on the list.

Hell - even Mike White gave us the heisman when he was still at La Tech and had never made one trip to the NCAA Tourney.

If Danny is fired in season, we will have an interim coach not a permanent one.

State is going to crush us dec 7, one game for basically a month. I hat is th time to move. FIRE HIM, that would make the job front and center and show that there is at least some level of accountability. Well an is gone. Not one sane person would view this team and say change isn’t necessary.

I will absolutely return to the Joel for a number of games if e make the move, it could be shock8ng how fast the fan base rallies. It cannot be worse.

The only reason people want to fire manning now is to reduce the fear that he won't be fired at the end of the year.

The only reason people want to fire manning now is to reduce the fear that he won't be fired at the end of the year.

I'd actually like him fired now for the chance that we might see some sane substitution patterns and player development by literally anyone else that we can build on for next year.

Also, the excitement (okay, it's relative) from anyone other than Manning coaching out the year could put some extra butts in the seats and bring in some money for the AD.

Only win i see on the remaining schedule is NCA&T.

Even when WF blows (and we blow), WF seems to find a way to slide out a win against State, which is entertaining if for no other reason than to watch State fans blow a gasket.

Nah. I like it because it allows us to "rebrand" and make a bunch of public statements about our recommitment to winning, our awesome new facilities, new AD, etc, etc. It gives us the rest of the season to do PR work and get our name out there for all of the potential coaches we'll be courting. A March of announcers talking about the opportunity at Wake rather than discussing whether Wake will be even be firing Manning. If we wait until April, we carry the optics of another awful season into the hiring process.

Agree that Rhodes should be on the short list. Among others, that could be under consideration; the program's perception has fallen so steeply that some/many of these guys may not be interested even if the money is better:

- LaVall Jordan Butler
- Kevin Willard Seton Hall
- Pat Chambers Penn State
- Travis Steele Xavier
- Craig Smith Utah State
- Steve Forbes ETSU
- Bob Richey Furman
- Richie McKay Liberty

I don't see anyone leaving X to come here. The days of Staak and Skip have gone..

An AD halfway worth his ridiculous salary would have been all over coach Mack before Louisville got him. That would have been a very good hire.

If I recall, a lot of people on this board didn't want Mack and felt he wasn't worth it. I disagreed, but hindsight is always 20/20

Why not Dave Odom as interim? He's worked with Nestor and Randolph/Brandon should respect him. Low threat to want to stick around. Wellman is not around to get in the way. Maybe even renew Timmy's interest in the program.

Why not Dave Odom as interim? He's worked with Nestor and Randolph/Brandon should respect him. Low threat to want to stick around. Wellman is not around to get in the way. Maybe even renew Timmy's interest in the program.

He's 77 years old and has been enjoying retirement for 11 years.

He's in good shape and could handle a few months. What's the worst that could happen?

We're going to beat State. C'mon, people.

He's in good shape and could handle a few months. What's the worst that could happen?

We piss off and drag down another Wake legend who doesn't deserve to be saddled with this shit show? What's the advantage? We just need a placeholder to sit on the bench. We've had an empty suit there for 5 years. Just need some loser to keep the seat warm while we go about the business of finding a new coach.

Low pressure. Ryan's upset of UVA would have been much more stressful. We'd have a great "getting the band back together" vibe. Would be a good movie.

Back