• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Because nobody is dumb enough to want to further a stupid decision when they can immediately curry favor for making a change (so long as they are able to do so within reasonable financial constraints)

That would have made a lot of sense last year.

That would have made a lot of sense last year.

It was going to cost a shit ton of money to do so. I think we should have done it anyway because it's bad for the brand long term, but given the poor position Currie stepped into it makes more sense than people want to admit. It's still sad that it got to this point.

The ACC seemingly has more craptastic programs right now than at any time in its history.

WF, GT, BC and Pitt are all terrible. Mike Brey has earned the benefit of the doubt, but ND went 3-15 last year and signed exactly zero recruits from the incoming 2019 class; could not believe it when I saw that the Irish went 0 for the 2019 recruiting season. Feel like Miami is heading in the wrong direction with the Adidas investigation and with Larranaga turning 70 this year. VT is essentially starting from scratch have lost their top 5 players from last year, and with a late start in recruiting due to Buzz's late change to A&M. In the past, there might have been 1 or 2 bad programs and the rest of the ACC could literally beat anyone else in the league (or the country) at any point. Not the case any more.

UVA, UNC, and Duke are on another level right now, and FSU and L'ville have competency and continuity, but the rest of the ACC is a hot mess right now. Really sad. Just not a competitive league.

In the totally misleading but mildly interesting category(which probably would make an interesting thread), I noticed that 5 of the 15 losingest college MBB coaches (over their entire careers) were head coaches at one time or another at a school now in the ACC. VT had 2 of the bottom 22. FSU had 2 in the bottom 7 (Pat Kennedy and Hamilton). You have to have a lot of staying power to reach the levels of losses reflected on that list. Ironically, John Beilein has the same number (325) as Gale Catlett, who he replaced at WVU. Cliff Ellis is leading in losses and as long as he keeps coaching, he'll be hard to catch.

In the totally misleading but mildly interesting category(which probably would make an interesting thread), I noticed that 5 of the 15 losingest college MBB coaches (over their entire careers) were head coaches at one time or another at a school now in the ACC. VT had 2 of the bottom 22. FSU had 2 in the bottom 7 (Pat Kennedy and Hamilton). You have to have a lot of staying power to reach the levels of losses reflected on that list. Ironically, John Beilein has the same number (325) as Gale Catlett, who he replaced at WVU. Cliff Ellis is leading in losses and as long as he keeps coaching, he'll be hard to catch.
I'd be interested in seeing that list. Could you link it or start a new topic?

It was going to cost a shit ton of money to do so. I think we should have done it anyway because it's bad for the brand long term, but given the poor position Currie stepped into it makes more sense than people want to admit. It's still sad that it got to this point.

how much, exactly, is the shit ton of which you speak, and what's the change in the price tag for spring 2020 vs. spring 2019?

Manning isn’t going anywhere anytime soon with Wellman 2.0 running the show.

how much, exactly, is the shit ton of which you speak, and what's the change in the price tag for spring 2020 vs. spring 2019?
I don't know exactly, but it was being claimed by some here and elsewhere, that the buyout would drop by something in the neighborhood of 3 million next spring.
Now, take that with a grain of salt, of course. I have zero knowledge if that's a true fact or number at all. I just have a pretty good memory. /shrugs

Tim just took s job as an assistant coach in SA.

Hmmmmmmmmm

I don't know exactly, but it was being claimed by some here and elsewhere, that the buyout would drop by something in the neighborhood of 3 million next spring.
Now, take that with a grain of salt, of course. I have zero knowledge if that's a true fact or number at all. I just have a pretty good memory. /shrugs

I remember those posts too

I want to see what numbers says since he is speaking as if he has insight.

I'd be interested in seeing that list. Could you link it or start a new topic?

Sorry. My antiquated computer won't let me post a link at the moment. The list is at the basketball-reference.com site.

I remember those posts too

I want to see what numbers says since he is speaking as if he has insight.
We can give Numbers some business, but after reading his blog, I think he might have *some* insight.

At least better than me. Lol

Isn’t his salary around $3M/year? Sounds like there isn’t a much of a buyout, we’ll just be a year closer to the end of his contract.

Isn’t his salary around $3M/year? Sounds like there isn’t a much of a buyout, we’ll just be a year closer to the end of his contract.

The only information on Manning's contract is one report. That report will be partially (annual salary) vetted when Wake's federal tax filing is released this summer. If it is correct, Wake will still owe Manning $12 million after completion of the 2019-2020 season.

Supposedly Mit Shah is supportive of Manning. It would be a bad look for Ken Miller to put significant funds toward a Manning buyout with his son a prospective replacement. That takes two deep pockets out of the resource pool. Who does that leave to fund the buyout?

Former Wake players now in the NBA?
Bob McCreary???
Don Flow?????????

Currie will need to do some serious money management to handle the situation. Wake could be paying two BB coaches full salaries for four years.

No chance those that have steered this ship off a cliff pay 2 coaches full salaries over the remainder of Manning's contract. He either accepts a lower buy out or he's here longer than just this year.

No chance those that have steered this ship off a cliff pay 2 coaches full salaries over the remainder of Manning's contract. He either accepts a lower buy out or he's here longer than just this year.

At some point, if the donors won't step up, Currie needs to throw Manning's contract on the corporate AMEX and know he'll be able to pay it off with increased revenues that result from making a good hire.

So the buyout drops because we are paying him to be a bad basketball coach for yet another season. Great. What a deal.

Back