• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Don't disgree. Just lost faith in the leadership long ago. The changing of the guard had a shot at righting the ship. That one sailed... can't believe i am even reading this thread.

Manning is gone after this year if he doesn't win 15+ games IMO.

I understand cynicism given what Wake has been through the last decade but this type of post is just bullshit.

Pretty good chance that he's gone if we don't make the NIT/NCAAT...I think 15 wins is the minimum number required for him to have any real shot of staying another year.

15 wins in year 6 saves his job? Lawdy!

People keep assuming logic is in play here.

Well occam’s razor would suggest that

History suggests it's not. The only changed variables are a new AD (who considers the old, failure of an AD his mentor), and an incrementally lower buyout. While I've heard he's gone after next year too, at this point I'm in "believe it when I see it" mode. You know what Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

The truth is that, simply by virtue of the situation we're in and how we got here, we have proof positive of incredible incompetence at multiple levels. So yeah, it's completely fair for the realistic among us to operate under the presumption that logic is not governing major decisions at Wake Forest.

Here's what Alabama is being reported as paying Nate Oats

That is roughly the incremental cost of having a competent basketball coach above and beyond whatever it is that WF is contractually obligated to pay Manning - would have been a smart investment in Spring 2019 (or Spring 2018), and definitely in Spring 2020

I'm choosing to expect the absolute worst soul-crushing decision next spring (keeping Manning) because I don't want to be disappointed yet again.

That is roughly the incremental cost of having a competent basketball coach above and beyond whatever it is that WF is contractually obligated to pay Manning - would have been a smart investment in Spring 2019 (or Spring 2018), and definitely in Spring 2020

I'm choosing to expect the absolute worst soul-crushing decision next spring (keeping Manning) because I don't want to be disappointed yet again.

Not getting that guy when we could have may end up being the worst Wellman decision in a long line of atrocious decisions.

He's a bargain...

It probably already is.

Agreed. There's still always the chance that he doesn't do as well as expected at the next level (see: Shaka), but he was nearly as sure of a thing as was on the market and his ceiling, given his career path so far, doesn't have a cap on it yet.

If Manning's recruits turn out to be as good as Steph Curry and Jimmy Butler, then Wake might really surprise some people.

The most interesting part of this season will be watching the attendance. Lots of free tickets gonna be given out to pad the numbers. It would be awesome if someone here could go to a few games and do an actual, butts in seats count to compare to the announced numbers.

ETA: How sad is it that this is legit what I think will be the best part of the season. For the first time in my life I can't name our starting lineup. What a weird decade it's been for our basketball team.

Last edited:

I hear you. But the fact that you know it will be soul-crushing means you’re already setting yourself up for disappointment, and thus still possess a stubborn subconscious hope. If you can instead call that inevitable decision “neither here nor there,” and mean it, is when you’ve officially forfeited your fandom and allowed the dream to die.

This is the legacy of Wellman/Bz/Manning.

Wake Forest basketball has been redefined over the past decade as a perennial bottom dweller in the ACC that has a chance to make the first four once a decade or so. Expectations have never been lower for this program.

Having a defeatist attitude about Wake MBB is certainly not going to help turn the program around. If Currie thinks the fanbase doesn't give a shit anymore, why should he?

Having a defeatist attitude about Wake MBB is certainly not going to help turn the program around. If Currie thinks the fanbase doesn't give a shit anymore, why should he?

If the fanbase thinks Currie doesn’t give a shit anymore, why should we?

That's not how it works. The fan base has been beaten down for 10 years. This upcoming year is on Currie.

He owns all of the misery and hate that will be this shittastic season and the embarrassing recruiting effort that will set the program back for the next few years as well.

Back