• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

If Currie thinks the fanbase doesn't give a shit anymore, why should he?

And it's not about what Curry thinks. It's a fact. Apathy and annual average loss totals are the only things peaking, at levels not seen since late Staak.

He knows it. And he knows it's his job to fix it.

I hear you. But the fact that you know it will be soul-crushing means you’re already setting yourself up for disappointment, and thus still possess a stubborn subconscious hope. If you can instead call that inevitable decision “neither here nor there,” and mean it, is when you’ve officially forfeited your fandom and allowed the dream to die.

This is the legacy of Wellman/Bz/Manning.

I know this:

UVA was in the shithouse before Tony Bennett came along - a complete disaster of a program. Now we know someone who would have argued incessantly over minutiae regarding whether UVA's level of shithousery was exactly the same as WFU's current level, but for argument's sake, it was close enough. And with one hire, UVA completely turned their fortunes around. So it could happen to WF. It could. That's the sliver of hope that I can't let go of.

But I have no confidence that WF, even when it does finally free itself from Manning, will be able to make an inspired hire anywhere in that ballpark

I know this:

UVA was in the shithouse before Tony Bennett came along - a complete disaster of a program. Now we know someone who would have argued incessantly over minutiae regarding whether UVA's level of shithousery was exactly the same as WFU's current level, but for argument's sake, it was close enough. And with one hire, UVA completely turned their fortunes around. So it could happen to WF. It could. That's the sliver of hope that I can't let go of.

But I have no confidence that WF, even when it does finally free itself from Manning, will be able to make an inspired hire anywhere in that ballpark

I am not sure those in charge at Wake are aware there is a problem that needs fixing.

I hear you. But the fact that you know it will be soul-crushing means you’re already setting yourself up for disappointment, and thus still possess a stubborn subconscious hope. If you can instead call that inevitable decision “neither here nor there,” and mean it, is when you’ve officially forfeited your fandom and allowed the dream to die.

This is the legacy of Wellman/Bz/Manning.
Great post!

That's an exciting practice. Good energy, coaches making some noise, involved. Fun.

Physically, they look like the Denver Nuggets. Is that Torrey Craig out there? Will Barton?

We cannot compete with teams like East Tennessee State and Murray State as they have better talent and coaching right now.

I have no idea how Manning practices but the fact they choose to tweet out very lame practice clips is telling.

I have no idea how Manning practices but the fact they choose to tweet out very lame practice clips is telling.

You have an idea, just look how he coaches and his record. No team as bad as Wake under Manning has anything near an efficient practice consistently.

I know this:

UVa, however, had also made a massive upgrade in their stadium situation while looking for that one key hire. But yes, in college sports you are always one hire away from a new trajectory.

UVa, however, had also made a massive upgrade in their stadium situation while looking for that one key hire. But yes, in college sports you are always one hire away from a new trajectory.

The good news is that the only change in trajectory is up, but can we get a coach to put us on that path? My trust is dwindled down to near nothing.

talked to somebody this week who would know. said they didnt have the money for the buyout. tried to get him to take less but got the obvious response.

talked to somebody this week who would know. said they didnt have the money for the buyout. tried to get him to take less but got the obvious response.

I can't believe there wasn't some restructuring of the buyout that would have worked for both sides. Manning must really believe he can resurrect his reputation with a few more good years. At least he has confidence in himself, as misplaced as it seems to be.

I just don't see how that's possible with all the money Wake has and all the money all the alumni has. Do we need to start a gofundme or what?

I just don't see how that's possible with all the money Wake has and all the money all the alumni has. Do we need to start a gofundme or what?

I would send a few bucks to a gofundme if that got rid of Manning.

I can't believe there wasn't some restructuring of the buyout that would have worked for both sides. Manning must really believe he can resurrect his reputation with a few more good years. At least he has confidence in himself, as misplaced as it seems to be.

Manning knows this is his last job as a head coach and he won't give it up with out a fight. That is the mark of a true champion.

Bullshit. He's tanking. Doing nothing on the recruiting trail. Doesn't seek out guidance from other coaches. Just making sure he does the bare minimum to fulfill his contract, pocketing all the cash, and setting his son up for the next job. Manning knows he'll never coach again.

How is that possible?? Does Wake not have a law school?

We can't get someone to tie that up in court for 10 years? Wake could counter sue for non-performance.

Not to mention that the cost of holding on to Manning is far more than that buy-out.

Back