• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Remember when people vehemently denied the Goodman report last season? Manning's gonna still be owed $10M-$12M after this upcoming season. Just don't expect anything other than the worst anymore.

I was one of those people. I still don’t believe the contract is fully guaranteed. But clearly the buyout is a lot higher than it should be.

I find it amazing that posters who’ve actually passed the bar exam haven’t recommended something like this. Seems so simple.

I like the idea but what implications would it have on attracting a future big name coach? Not that that’s going to happen anytime in our near future.

Unforgiveable that the previous administration allowed itself to get into a situation where it had no negotiating leverage with respect to Manning's contract. Total amateur hour.

Remember this when Wellman is feted at every homecoming from now until he dies and WF falls all over itself talking about what an AMAZING leader he was.

Sadly, this is how too many people think today.

A person of character should not fleece a non profit institution of higher learning just because they were able to take advantage of a senile feeble minded AD.

Manning may be within his legal rights but that does not change the fact that he is stealing from his employer while destroying what he was charged with building.

There is no honor in that.

There is no honor in not paying someone what you legally owe them, either.

Remember when people vehemently denied the Goodman report last season? Manning's gonna still be owed $10M-$12M after this upcoming season. Just don't expect anything other than the worst anymore.

This might be optimistic. Goodman stated a six year and $18,000,000 extension. There could be five years remaining.

The extension was reported to be until 2024-25.

It seems like the big donors could buy him out, but they still think Manning can do the job. Either that or they're trying to bullshit us because they're cheap.

The extension was announced two years ago after three years of service. That does not mean it began at that point in time. Many extensions begin at the conclusion of the original contract. That is why they are called extensions. Manning got at least four years on the original contract. It could have been five years. The timing of Goodman's leak may not be a coincidence. It may indicate what remains.

Since Wake Forest refuses comment on the contract, it is all speculation at best. When Wellman and basketball are the topic, history suggests to expect the worst case scenario.

Extensions are reported by the length the contract is extended. When the extension was announced, Goodman reported it was through 2024-25.

Extensions are reported by the length the contract is extended. When the extension was announced, Goodman reported it was through 2024-25.

I went back and read the announcement from Nov. of ‘17 and saw the same thing. He’s under contract through ‘24-25. That would mean buying him out right now would cost $18M

Danny sure is kissing Mit Shah’s rear on Twitter today.

As long as Mit Shah is supporting Manning, it will be difficult for Wake to raise the funds necessary to buy out Manning's contract. If Mit isn't leading that effort, or a the very least not opposing it, IMHO, it is unlikely that the big money people will come up with enough cash.

As long as Mit Shah is supporting Manning, it will be difficult for Wake to raise the funds necessary to buy out Manning's contract. If Mit isn't leading that effort, or a the very least not opposing it, IMHO, it is unlikely that the big money people will come up with enough cash.

Seems so unlikely that the skills to succeed in life to that extent would have a blind spot big enough to think Manning has any chance to succeed.

My guess is those that have already given and seen there money tossed away like garbage do not want to give more again.

I would question their judgement if they did.

Seems so unlikely that the skills to succeed in life to that extent would have a blind spot big enough to think Manning has any chance to succeed.

My guess is those that have already given and seen there money tossed away like garbage do not want to give more again.

I would question their judgement if they did.

Are you familiar with professional sports franchise owners? That’s all you need to know to break the assumption that rich guys automatically have the skills to manage sports or anything else besides the industry in which they got rich. And if they came from money, they may not have any skills besides making more money.

Are you familiar with professional sports franchise owners? That’s all you need to know to break the assumption that rich guys automatically have the skills to manage sports or anything else besides the industry in which they got rich. And if they came from money, they may not have any skills besides making more money.

I believe Mit made his fortune in the hotel business. However, as part owner of the Atlanta Hawks, you would think somebody there might whisper in his ear about Nanning's lack of success at Wake.

It seems to me that to earn a pretty decent fortune, you have to be a respectable judge of character.

Otherwise, someone would have separated you from that fortune.

It seems to me that to earn a pretty decent fortune, you have to be a respectable judge of character.

Otherwise, someone would have separated you from that fortune.

Some of the most wealthy people in America have personalities and moral/character issues that got them to the top. Most of the people I've met with extreme wealth are assholes if you get to know them.

Back