• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Turner was born and raised in VA. ACC country. DeCuire is from Seattle and played at Montana.

Turner has been an assistant in the ACC and Pac 10. DeCuire the Pac-10 and Colonial conference.

Turner was an NBA assistant (for the Warriors) and has coached hoop in Turkey, Lithuania and China (international recruiting) as part of the NBA's outreach program. DeCuire has never affiliated with an NBA team or coached abroad.

Montana made the NCAA tournament ten times before DeCuire took the job there (his alma mater).

UC-Irvine had no basketball success before Turner took the job. He is the only coach to take UCI to the NCAAs (and he has won a game in the tournament).

Turner would not be my first choice, but the guy has coached at all of the key levels of basketball, and took over a program with a total of 3 NIT bids in its basketball history (no NCAA bids) and has built the best program in the Big West Conference (they will again win the Big West regular season, and be the #1 seed in the conference tourney - so, he is taking UCI to the NCAAs or NIT again). Turner has a solid resume, and connections at all levels of basketball. The fact that he has a WF connection is nice, but at best, a minor factor why he is a candidate.

Raised in Roanoke. IIRC, he played HS ball with George Lynch of UNC. I thought Turner was a leading candidate for VT before Buzz fell into the Hokies' lap.

Wake should have hired Wes Miller when Skip died in 2007. So what if Wes had just graduated college and had yet to coach. Everyone who knew him could tell how smart he was and what a great coach he’d be. Wake would have won 7 national championships by now if they’d have just listened to me!!

Raised in Roanoke. IIRC, he played HS ball with George Lynch of UNC. I thought Turner was a leading candidate for VT before Buzz fell into the Hokies' lap.

Correct - They played together at Patrick Henry. Believe they won a state championship

changes nothing name redacted beat #4 dook in his last year --- symmetry

If anything, the dook win shows how badly coached and underachieving the team has been to be in 14th place this late in the season.

Manning will be WFU coach until 2021. This gives Currie cover to burn down the buyout. Wellman cut an incredibly dumb deal. We all have to live with it.

Actually Wake was "full" as well. However, Itzil Cohen, an international player from Israel, decided he would rather fly fighter jets for the Israeli Air Force instead of playing basketball in America. And just like that, Odom had a vacant scholarship right about the time RoRo got his qualifying SAT score.

No. Rogers committed in the fall of his senior year - in fact I am pretty sure he did so before Childress did. I went to see Rogers play in a holiday tourney in Raleigh (Penny Hardaway and Sean Bradley also played in it) his senior season, and he was definitely committed to Wake by that point. He didn't get a qualifying SAT score until the spring. I just found an article about Cohen not coming to Wake from Aug 25 1990. Rogers was committed to Wake by probably at least 9 months by that point.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19900825-1990-08-25-9008240369-story.html

This game doesn't give anybody cover. We are still a sub .500 team at the bottom of the ACC.

changes nothing name redacted beat #4 dook in his last year --- symmetry
Bz didn't have potentially $10-$12M guaranteed left on his contract. Not the same. If we get a little hot, beat ND, maybe UNC on the road, and then an ACCT game...tight buttholes come mid-March.

Wake should have hired Wes Miller when Skip died in 2007. So what if Wes had just graduated college and had yet to coach. Everyone who knew him could tell how smart he was and what a great coach he’d be. Wake would have won 7 national championships by now if they’d have just listened to me!!

Sokolove is to RJ as deac29 is to DR.

You folks are a trip. One game won’t impact Currie’s decision. Enjoy the win and stop worrying. If we got on a big run here at the end maybe that impacts Currie but I don’t think any of us expect that to happen. We will finish with a losing record and in the bottom third of the league. That doesn’t save his job.

Everyone relax, Currie has already made the decision, a few games aint changing it. If Currie has already put his feelers out to other coaches that hes gonna make a change then a few wins wont matter. this to go along with what sportsnut posted saturday about what he heard and i dont think we have anything to worry about. Manning should be gone.

I honestly don't understand why you would want someone with a similar record...not a better one... that doesn't have ties to Wake. That, in my opinion, makes no sense. If you are arguing Forbes or Anthony Grant (or someone like that) and other mid-major guys, I get it. But if we are parsing the minutia of resumes for very good candidates, I don't understand for the life of me why the scale would tip to someone who has no idea about Wake over someone who does. Weird.

Plus that Montana recruiting success would be hard to replicate.

Back