• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Now that is something Wake would do. Hire someone to get publicity rather than get the best coach.

Isn't that how we got Manning?
Yeah, let's go hire someone who has never recruited a single day in her life and has limited/no connections to people that have in order to build a staff! That seems like the ticket!

Last edited:
Cool story, except at Tennessee and Wichita State where he helped recruit 8 top-100 players. He's been scouting high school players since Adidas ABCD camp was a thing. BTW that same line of thinking really worked well with Nate Oats, who landed a 4* top 100 player his first year at Alabama.
Yep. That "won't fit because _____ only recruits JuCos" is 99% BS any time it's brought up about pretty much any coaching candidate, IMO.
It's lazy and biased thinking.

He was on staff when Pearl got in trouble for hosting a BBQ for a recruit (purposely violating NCAA rules) and then encourage the recruit & his family to deny it ever happened. I haven't seen any reports as to whether Forbes was involved in the actual violations or was just caught up when Tennessee cleaned house of Pearl's influence.
Also, isn't Pearl's BBQ "Violation" not even a violation anymore? I think I remember something about that from our speculations last year.

Bless all of our hearts. We just keep having the same conversations with the same names over and over again. For years. And yet nothing ever changes. Check that: the ONE TIME something exciting could have potentially happened within this ten year span of misery, we chose an arguably WORSE coach than the one we fired. We're so shellshocked. Bless all of our hearts.

Yeah, this thread is becoming miserable given we're still over a month away from when Manning could get fired. No offense to anyone specific, and I'm including myself in this, but there really isn't anything to talk about. At the very least, it is exciting to think about Manning getting fired and finally moving on from this mess.

We need some new names to appear with March runs (not that I want to hire a guy that has a one-year run), some mid-season firings (or clarity on other potential openings), or Thad Matta to hold a press conference saying he's ready to coach again.

Otherwise, we're just going to keep recycling the same names/arguments until mid-March.

In our previous two searches, the recycled names would have been better than the new names we actually hired.

I totally want Marshall if he can recruit another guy with a name as cool as Fred VanVleet !

Also, isn't Pearl's BBQ "Violation" not even a violation anymore? I think I remember something about that from our speculations last year.

Well the bigger violation was the intentional coverup and lying about it, which is still a NCAA violation. Pretty sure that if Pearl had just admitted the BBQ thing, the penalties would have been pretty trivial.

In our previous two searches, the recycled names would have been better than the new names we actually hired.

Absolutely. Mostly all the names we talked about were good coaches that should have been considered. Both times Wellman pulled unqualified candidates from left field.

If Wellman had just ran polls on this board and taken any of the top 3, Wake would still be a top 25 program. Never forgive Wellman.

Virginia Tech fans talked a lot about him on their boards when they were hiring this past offseason.

Similar to HOF Wes' connection to Wake, Mike Young grew up near B-burg and watched a lot of games at Cassell. He didn't have a family member who was a big VT donor, however. I think most VT fans are extremely happy with the unanswered prayer.

Similar to HOF Wes' connection to Wake, Mike Young grew up near B-burg and watched a lot of games at Cassell. He didn't have a family member who was a big VT donor, however. I think most VT fans are extremely happy with the unanswered prayer.

Somehow I think Young is gonna get VT into the Dance in year 1. They currently sit at 14-5 and have a lot of winnable games left. Honestly I don't know how we can argue against any of the names on this thread, any of them. Look at what we currently have. Its hard for me to understand how Manning qualifies as a coach. I'd take Forbes, Miller, Ritchey, Rhoades, and a bunch of others vs what we currently have.

VPI needs a lot of wins to make the tourney given their OOC schedule (third easiest in the country). They basically have state’s issue from last year and the committee has scrutinized OOC games recently. I think they may need 21 wins to get in

Somehow I think Young is gonna get VT into the Dance in year 1. They currently sit at 14-5 and have a lot of winnable games left. Honestly I don't know how we can argue against any of the names on this thread, any of them. Look at what we currently have. Its hard for me to understand how Manning qualifies as a coach. I'd take Forbes, Miller, Ritchey, Rhoades, and a bunch of others vs what we currently have.

1st year coach at freaking VT with a team that had an exodus of players, yet they have a legit chance at making the tourney. Just makes you shake your head given our current situation.

Toilets in the parking lot!

It would actually work better now with the explosion of social media. It would be trending worldwide.

The more outrageous something is. The more it gets covered.

Hell, it would probably end up as a meme for all crappy teams.

It would actually work better now with the explosion of social media. It would be trending worldwide.

The more outrageous something is. The more it gets covered.

Hell, it would probably end up as a meme for all crappy teams.

Doubling down!

It's a good way to maximize your winnings.

Sports and news networks do have 24 hours of programming to fill. Free, funny content is a plus for them.

We could even piggyback on Wake's own Sam Ervin's work on the last impeachment. :cool:

We didn’t think things could get any worse than [Redacted] and then they did. I don’t know who the right coach is but ‘better than manning’ is an extremely low bar to beat and it is not guaranteed we will beat it.

VPI needs a lot of wins to make the tourney given their OOC schedule (third easiest in the country). They basically have state’s issue from last year and the committee has scrutinized OOC games recently. I think they may need 21 wins to get in
I believe that the official term for it is called "Pulling a Greenberg." VT fans have plenty of experience in this area.

I believe that the official term for it is called "Pulling a Greenberg." VT fans have plenty of experience in this area.

The lifetime achievement award in this has been Jim Boeheim. He is the Usain Bolt and Muhammed Ali combined of weak schedules.

Back