• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

netflixnchildres

Reaction score
I started a thread 2 seasons ago, did some more polls at the end of last season, and now this will be the last DM replacement thread I will start because if he is still coaching in '20-'21 I'm done with Wake Forest Basketball forever (barring he makes some miracle Final 4 run). This thread will be a place for everyone to bring up and discuss potential coaches to replace Manning should Currie finally decide its time to save WFMBB in 2020. Feel free to post tweets, videos, podcasts, articles, observations, updates, etc. about any of the potential replacement candidates discussed in the thread. It will likely be more fun to follow replacement options than Wake Forest Basketball this year.

My top 5 realistic options in order:

1. Mike Rhoades
2. Matt McMahon
3. Steve Forbes
4. Wes Miller
5. Casey Alexander

Think with a rebuild of this magnitude coming, mid-major will be the only option. Been highly impressed with Rhoades and McMahon since I started following them more closely the past 7 months. Gave Forbes the edge over Miller because of his experience at the high-major level and that he was scouting high school basketball prospects while Wes was still in high school. Yes, Miller should be on a list of realistic options... look who Va Tech hired. Alexander gets the edge over some other guys at the final spot because he stays more current with positionless basketball, coaching trends, etc.

Let's see what McMahon does without Morant.

He was pretty mediocre his first two years.

Craig Smith has to be on the list.

Utah State was 1 coach removed from being a consistent 20+ win team

fxyp76.png

Matt McMahon is a good recruiter and a good X's and O's guy:

Came up under Steve Prohm and has made coaching watch lists for 7 years.

Craig Smith's first 2 years at SDSU: 31-34
Matt McMahon's first 2 years at Murray St: 33-31

McMahon has won his conference's regular season 3 out of 4 years. 2 conference tournament championships. 2 NCAA appearances, 1 NCAA win.
Smith won his conference's regular season 2 out of 5 years. 1 conference tournament championship. 1 NCAA appearance, no NCAA wins.

McMahon also has recruiting ties East of the Mississippi, Smith not so much.

That's a depressing list. #ThanksWellman

Didn't we have this thread about 4 months ago? Didn't work then, ain't gonna work now. Stick with the fball love, they deserve our support.

I started a thread 2 seasons ago, did some more polls at the end of last season, and now this will be the last DM replacement thread I will start because if he is still coaching in '20-'21 I'm done with Wake Forest Basketball forever (barring he makes some miracle Final 4 run). This thread will be a place for everyone to bring up and discuss potential coaches to replace Manning should Currie finally decide its time to save WFMBB in 2020. Feel free to post tweets, videos, podcasts, articles, observations, updates, etc. about any of the potential replacement candidates discussed in the thread. It will likely be more fun to follow replacement options than Wake Forest Basketball this year.

My top 5 realistic options in order:

1. Mike Rhoades
2. Matt McMahon
3. Steve Forbes
4. Wes Miller
5. Casey Alexander

Think with a rebuild of this magnitude coming, mid-major will be the only option. Been highly impressed with Rhoades and McMahon since I started following them more closely the past 7 months. Gave Forbes the edge over Miller because of his experience at the high-major level and that he was scouting high school basketball prospects while Wes was still in high school. Yes, Miller should be on a list of realistic options... look who Va Tech hired. Alexander gets the edge over some other guys at the final spot because he stays more current with positionless basketball, coaching trends, etc.

You are beating a dead horse It’s over. Sorry to see you go. Give it up and enjoy football.

Hah. That McMahon video is infinitely more interesting than anything I’ve heard Manning say, ever.

You teach these kids how to play basketball.

Considering there's already a conditional deal in place to hire Wes this thread is pretty pointless.

Considering there's already a conditional deal in place to hire Wes this thread is pretty pointless.
Since when?
Not that I 100% doubt that claim, I just want actual names and proof before I accept that.

Last edited:
Shaka is going to have a successful season at Texas and, therefore, will not be going anywhere.

The chance (for anyone) to pull him away from Austin has come and gone, I think.

Didn't we have this thread about 4 months ago? Didn't work then, ain't gonna work now. Stick with the fball love, they deserve our support.

Amazing the percentage of wake fans that still invest time and energy discussing wake basketball. Let it go, it's over. Let's focus on something that is actually successful and that is lead by the one we call CLAW.

Back