Page 1 of 29 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 575

Thread: Danny Manning replacement search thread

  1. #1

    Danny Manning replacement search thread

    I started a thread 2 seasons ago, did some more polls at the end of last season, and now this will be the last DM replacement thread I will start because if he is still coaching in '20-'21 I'm done with Wake Forest Basketball forever (barring he makes some miracle Final 4 run). This thread will be a place for everyone to bring up and discuss potential coaches to replace Manning should Currie finally decide its time to save WFMBB in 2020. Feel free to post tweets, videos, podcasts, articles, observations, updates, etc. about any of the potential replacement candidates discussed in the thread. It will likely be more fun to follow replacement options than Wake Forest Basketball this year.

    My top 5 realistic options in order:

    1. Mike Rhoades
    2. Matt McMahon
    3. Steve Forbes
    4. Wes Miller
    5. Casey Alexander

    Think with a rebuild of this magnitude coming, mid-major will be the only option. Been highly impressed with Rhoades and McMahon since I started following them more closely the past 7 months. Gave Forbes the edge over Miller because of his experience at the high-major level and that he was scouting high school basketball prospects while Wes was still in high school. Yes, Miller should be on a list of realistic options... look who Va Tech hired. Alexander gets the edge over some other guys at the final spot because he stays more current with positionless basketball, coaching trends, etc.

  2. #2
    Let's see what McMahon does without Morant.

    He was pretty mediocre his first two years.

    Craig Smith has to be on the list.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU Lurker View Post
    Let's see what McMahon does without Morant.

    He was pretty mediocre his first two years.

    Craig Smith has to be on the list.
    Utah State was 1 coach removed from being a consistent 20+ win team



    Matt McMahon is a good recruiter and a good X's and O's guy:


    Came up under Steve Prohm and has made coaching watch lists for 7 years.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU Lurker View Post
    Let's see what McMahon does without Morant.

    He was pretty mediocre his first two years.

    Craig Smith has to be on the list.
    Craig Smith's first 2 years at SDSU: 31-34
    Matt McMahon's first 2 years at Murray St: 33-31

    McMahon has won his conference's regular season 3 out of 4 years. 2 conference tournament championships. 2 NCAA appearances, 1 NCAA win.
    Smith won his conference's regular season 2 out of 5 years. 1 conference tournament championship. 1 NCAA appearance, no NCAA wins.

    McMahon also has recruiting ties East of the Mississippi, Smith not so much.

  5. #5
    That's a depressing list. #ThanksWellman

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    That's a depressing list. #ThanksWellman
    Not as depressing as our current head coach

  7. #7
    Pat Kelsey. Eddie Payne.

  8. #8
    Didn't we have this thread about 4 months ago? Didn't work then, ain't gonna work now. Stick with the fball love, they deserve our support.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    I started a thread 2 seasons ago, did some more polls at the end of last season, and now this will be the last DM replacement thread I will start because if he is still coaching in '20-'21 I'm done with Wake Forest Basketball forever (barring he makes some miracle Final 4 run). This thread will be a place for everyone to bring up and discuss potential coaches to replace Manning should Currie finally decide its time to save WFMBB in 2020. Feel free to post tweets, videos, podcasts, articles, observations, updates, etc. about any of the potential replacement candidates discussed in the thread. It will likely be more fun to follow replacement options than Wake Forest Basketball this year.

    My top 5 realistic options in order:

    1. Mike Rhoades
    2. Matt McMahon
    3. Steve Forbes
    4. Wes Miller
    5. Casey Alexander

    Think with a rebuild of this magnitude coming, mid-major will be the only option. Been highly impressed with Rhoades and McMahon since I started following them more closely the past 7 months. Gave Forbes the edge over Miller because of his experience at the high-major level and that he was scouting high school basketball prospects while Wes was still in high school. Yes, Miller should be on a list of realistic options... look who Va Tech hired. Alexander gets the edge over some other guys at the final spot because he stays more current with positionless basketball, coaching trends, etc.
    You are beating a dead horse Itís over. Sorry to see you go. Give it up and enjoy football.

  10. #10
    Broderick Hicks
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Big Lick, NC
    Posts
    3,526
    Hah. That McMahon video is infinitely more interesting than anything Iíve heard Manning say, ever.

    You teach these kids how to play basketball.

  11. #11
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,831
    And you people think Iím a masochist.

  12. #12
    Considering there's already a conditional deal in place to hire Wes this thread is pretty pointless.

  13. #13
    Boomer Boy
    Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,070
    Come on, you guys. Give Danny a chance.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    ... if he is still coaching in '20-'21 I'm done with Wake Forest Basketball forever.
    Keep it this simple if you value your sanity.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesSokolove View Post
    Considering there's already a conditional deal in place to hire Wes this thread is pretty pointless.
    Since when?
    Not that I 100% doubt that claim, I just want actual names and proof before I accept that.
    Last edited by shogun6066; 07-16-2019 at 10:36 PM.

  16. #16
    Is Shaka Smart really unrealistic?

  17. #17
    depends if hatch fucks him again

  18. #18
    Boomer Boy
    Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,070
    Quote Originally Posted by atldeac23 View Post
    Is Shaka Smart really unrealistic?
    I would hope not. I donít think Shaka was unrealistic when we made our last hire and the Shaka market has changed since then.

  19. #19
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,831
    Shaka is going to have a successful season at Texas and, therefore, will not be going anywhere.

    The chance (for anyone) to pull him away from Austin has come and gone, I think.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsmed86 View Post
    Didn't we have this thread about 4 months ago? Didn't work then, ain't gonna work now. Stick with the fball love, they deserve our support.
    Amazing the percentage of wake fans that still invest time and energy discussing wake basketball. Let it go, it's over. Let's focus on something that is actually successful and that is lead by the one we call CLAW.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •