• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

in! forbes is great and we'll be able to fire him if he sucks unlike miller and kelsey!

I like Forbes as well but there is no rhyme or reason to Wake firing someone.

This giant stiff has 6 years and counting. The dysfunctional BZ got 4.

Yet a coach that wins 2/3 of his games and has a win in the NCAA's and a top 10 incoming class is fired.

Let's just get the best guy we can and not worry about how badly Wake will screw up the firing.

Because we keep hearing how much the administration likes and respects Danny Manning and how he runs his program, I tend to think that we’ll only look at candidates with squeaky clean resumes.

That eliminates Forbes. That eliminates Pitino, who is a pipe dream of mine but never a real possibility for Wake. I’m sure it eliminates others I’m not even thinking of.

That Hoard video. Damn, he is good. What a joke.

And Collins at PF with motivated Devin Thomas at Center is what I call a dominating front court. Instead...

Doesn't matter too much who it is except for 4-5 year from the firing date down the road. The first three years we will likely be bad as we will lose most of the players on this team and likely the recruits (not that this is a reason to keep Manning) so the next guy will have a monumental rebuild on his hands. It will take several years to rid the stink from this program and start getting legitimate ACC level recruits again.

For those craving a older coach with a track record, consider UGA's decision to hire Tom Crean (who some coveted for the WF job). After firing Mark Fox, UGA committed to pay Crean $3.25 million a year for five years, plus incentives. UGA also committed to pay almost $1 million a year for Crean's assistant coaches. Realize it's only year 2 for Crean at UGA, but they are 3-23 in the SEC under Crean, including blowing a 20 point 2nd half lead to ordinary Mizzou last night. This is with top 5 lottery pick Anthony Edwards who will be long gone as soon as the UGA season ends in the SEC tourney; seems unlikely that UGA is going to better next year without the best NBA prospect in the SEC. Crean is going to get at least two more years to turn around the UGA program, but if UGA had it to do over again, they would've/could've hired a younger coach for a fraction of the financial commitment, and the Dawgs prospects would likely be better. Couldn't be worse.

For those craving a older coach with a track record, consider UGA's decision to hire Tom Crean (who some coveted for the WF job). After firing Mark Fox, UGA committed to pay Crean $3.25 million a year for five years, plus incentives. UGA also committed to pay almost $1 million a year for Crean's assistant coaches. Realize it's only year 2 for Crean at UGA, but they are 3-23 in the SEC under Crean, including blowing a 20 point 2nd half lead to ordinary Mizzou last night. This is with top 5 lottery pick Anthony Edwards who will be long gone as soon as the UGA season ends in the SEC tourney; seems unlikely that UGA is going to better next year without the best NBA prospect in the SEC. Crean is going to get at least two more years to turn around the UGA program, but if UGA had it to do over again, they would've/could've hired a younger coach for a fraction of the financial commitment, and the Dawgs prospects would likely be better. Couldn't be worse.

I'll take older coach with a track record over our last hire, an older coach without a track record. It could and is definitely worse in Winston-Salem.

WORSE? How could things get any worse? Take a look around here, We're at the threshold of hell.

Doesn't matter too much who it is except for 4-5 year from the firing date down the road. The first three years we will likely be bad as we will lose most of the players on this team and likely the recruits (not that this is a reason to keep Manning) so the next guy will have a monumental rebuild on his hands. It will take several years to rid the stink from this program and start getting legitimate ACC level recruits again.

The current players and recruits aren't exactly hard for a good coach to replace.

WORSE? How could things get any worse? Take a look around here, We're at the threshold of hell.

i felt you couldn't get worse than redacted. i didn't hate the manning hire. hell i didn't care - it was a change, so i was in favor. boy was i fucking wrong.
however, i can say with utmost confidence - beyond a shadow of doubt - you literally can't get fucking worse than mannequin. someone may suck as much but you can't get fucking worse

Which older coaches do you mean? Matta? Beilein? I get your overall point, but it is important to recognize that Tom Crean is not even close to Thad Matta or John Beilein. So it's likely not the age thing, but that he ain't that good a coach.

Matta and Crean are younger than Manning. I wouldn’t call them older.

Too much Kelsey talk, not enough Matt McMahon talk. Eastern KY/Western NC roots. Young. About to lead his team to three straight NCAA tourneys.

Good gracious...another random dude. Barely over .500 and then Ja Morant shows up and he magically makes the tournament. So 4 years of HC experience and no P6 assistant experience is someone we should be talking about more than Pat Kelsey? No way. One thing he does have going for him is no Wake Forest ties... which is apparently a good thing to some on here. :rolleyes:

Back