• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan stepping away; Songaila steps in

It’s an interesting move. The top two assistants made lateral moves. They seemed to be clearing out for Becky Hammon to be the coach in waiting but this move puts that into question. It also suggests Pop is going to be around for awhile longer. Can’t see him leaving after one or two years of coaching with Duncan.

I thought Pop had said Tim was "coach of whatever he wants" after his retirement.

So now he is locked into some official capacity as assistant coach! Surprised, but if that is what Tim wants, hope it goes well for him.

This is great, and I'm very happy for TD, but I can't believe he wants to do this. I don't think I'd want that grind again if I were him. I'd just sit back somewhere in the USVI and enjoy my zillions.

Pop can teach him how to coach and then in 2 years he can come here bring us back to relevance (again)

Everyone dreams a bit

Tim is smart and hyper-competitive. With his playing career over, this may be the next best thing to get his competition fix. The great ones usually don't have the patience for the grind of coaching, but Duncan is a rare bird in every respect; so, maybe this is what he is looking for.

I will be curious if he goes on all road trips. I would imagine he will go the route of danny manning and be willing to be the last guy on the bench as he will have the least experience. Hope that is where the comparison of the two ends.

Of course he will. He’s the third assistant. Pop, Becky, Hardy, Duncan. He will be in the position Becky was last year. This isn’t a part time job. He’s a full time NBA assistant coach.

Of course he will. He’s the third assistant. Pop, Becky, Hardy, Duncan. He will be in the position Becky was last year. This isn’t a part time job. He’s a full time NBA assistant coach.

We'll see. You are being a bit too definitive for what has been released so far. Duncan has spent a lot of time at Spurs training facilities already post playing career in a totally unofficial capacity of big man coach or just a big body on the court helping other big bodies. I think it is a fair question will he go on the 20+ day rodeo away game set in its entirety and all those things.

We'll see. You are being a bit too definitive for what has been released so far. Duncan has spent a lot of time at Spurs training facilities already post playing career in a totally unofficial capacity of big man coach or just a big body on the court helping other big bodies. I think it is a fair question will he go on the 20+ day rodeo away game set in its entirety and all those things.

With Tim being an official assistant coach, he would be expected to do all the road trips, including the 20 day Rodeo one. Otherwise Pop would be operating with fewer resources than his opponent. That is unlikely.

Tim's "coach of whatever he wants" position let let him not travel. Official assistant coach position means he will be traveling.

yeah, but CP is still pretty engaged and has donated millions

what was the particular beef between Wellman and Duncan?

related to Odom?

related to Odom?

CP is also a hateable dude as has been discussed.

related to Odom?

Based on recollection of third hand information (likely on the boards a while ago), this is seemingly true. Duncan thought Odom was done wrong by Wellman and did not care for RW due to that.

Based on recollection of third hand information (likely on the boards a while ago), this is seemingly true. Duncan thought Odom was done wrong by Wellman and did not care for RW due to that.

Yep.

My theory is that Duncan will become more engaged with WF now that Wellman is out. Huge opportunity for Currie to re-engage Duncan.

Back