• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan stepping away; Songaila steps in

I know this will come as a shock to some, but it is entirely possible that posters on this message board, having gone to Wake Forest, might know other students who attended at the same time. Those other students might include Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, Riley Skinner, Allison Rushing, Josh Gattis, Drew Brown, or whomever else might be in the news. And knowing those people personally, these posters may choose not to share all information they know due to those relationships.

No shock to me. I know or have known a number of the folks listed, and certainly knew some of the athletes "in the news" while at Wake. Only one of them reads message boards, much less has any idea who I am on the message boards. The idea that there's some great secret that has survived 23+ years and a rando on OGB knows all the juicy details but can't say anythign is the part I find shocking.

Now whether it is advisable to make comments indicating that certain posts are factually inaccurate while refusing the state what is inaccurate is another story.

This place is full of people claiming to know things about Duncan, Dino, Shaka, etc, but they can never say anything because of their "very important sources".

No shock to me. I know or have known a number of the folks listed, and certainly knew some of the athletes "in the news" while at Wake. Only one of them reads message boards, much less has any idea who I am on the message boards. The idea that there's some great secret that has survived 23+ years and a rando on OGB knows all the juicy details but can't say anythign is the part I find shocking.

This place is full of people claiming to know things about Duncan, Dino, Shaka, etc, but they can never say anything because of their "very important sources".

Our culture won't allow us to talk.

To know his is to hate him.

To not know him is to hate him from afar.

Yea, I have always loved how he could take a single losing season of a coach he did not like {Greer} and find a reason to trash a career like 3 ACC titles & 600 wins yet his own hire [Rem] can fall flat on his face and stay for 5 seasons. Or something like the career of GDO where 20 win seasons were the average & 2 ACC titles were also thrown in there [no small feat] and he takes a 5th place finish, which we haven't seen in the past 10 seasons and nothing hardly seems wrong to him. And we won't even go into his women's basketball program results.

Tim Duncan joins Spurs staff as an assistant coach

I'm under no obligation to tell you. I'm just telling you the Odom thing is only a part of the reason. I was told in confidence and respect that.

:jerkoffmotionintensifies

Yea, I have always loved how he could take a single losing season of a coach he did not like {Greer} and find a reason to trash a career like 3 ACC titles & 600 wins yet his own hire [Rem] can fall flat on his face and stay for 5 seasons. Or something like the career of GDO where 20 win seasons were the average & 2 ACC titles were also thrown in there [no small feat] and he takes a 5th place finish, which we haven't seen in the past 10 seasons and nothing hardly seems wrong to him. And we won't even go into his women's basketball program results.

I love that you went with braces {} and brackets [] when simple parentheses were the right choice.

I'll go on record saying "solid post."

Back to TD’s gig as a full-fledged assistant coach.

I assume Pop’s gonna make TD do a bunch of those in-game interviews with the sideline reporter.

[h=4]The 11 best things about Duncan’s return to the bench[/h]
[h=4]5. Tim Duncan has to wear a suit, like, every day[/h] Bwahahaha no more jorts with long-sleeve tropical print button-downs, my man. (In reality, Duncan became a much more snappy dresser in his later years in the league. I miss island casual Tim, to be honest.)

[h=4]4. Best assistant coach ever[/h] We ran through the ranks and determined that there has never been a better NBA player than Tim Duncan serve as an assistant coach. Guys like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson went straight into head coaching jobs when they took the bench. Bill Russell was a player-coach. No. 2 on this list might be, like, Patrick Ewing? Think about it: in a league where any number of players have gone straight into head coaching jobs fresh out of the league, one of the five best players ever is taking an assistant coach job. It’s wild.

[h=4]3. How the Spurs describe Duncan’s path in the press release[/h] The top three most wonderful things about Duncan becoming an assistant coach are all from the Spurs’ master-class press release announcing it. (That’s right: this wasn’t leaked, the Spurs and Duncan got to announce it on their own terms. Spurs gonna Spur.)

First, here’s how Duncan is described in the release: “Duncan, a 1997 Wake Forest graduate, played 19 seasons with the Spurs before retiring in the summer of 2016.”

That’s it! Nothing about the five rings, the two NBA MVPs, the three Finals MVPs, the 15 All-Star nods, the 13-year streak on the All-NBA and All-Defense teams. In a league where every achievement is screamed from the rooftops, this is just hilarious.

Timmy stepping away from full-time coaching.

Now begins Forbes' biggest recruiting task yet. Get Timmy on the staff

I'm just going on record with a fuck you. Childress wanted to come home. He was saddled with shit coaches. So fuck you. I hope he gets a chance to learn how to coach from legit coaches. Did i mention fuck you?

Now begins Forbes' biggest recruiting task yet. Get Timmy on the staff

(copied from Twitter):

Dave Odom in February:

He said, 'Coach Popovich has asked that I assume the role of assistant coach for a year.' And he said, ‘You know how much I don’t want to do that.’

And I said, ‘Really?’

He said, ‘I really don’t know what to do.’

I said, ‘Well let me tell you what to do: You do it. The guy gave you 20 years, you give him one.’

(If not clear: Tim Duncan didn't want to be a coach for one season until Dave Odom (and likely others) told him to do it. He's not going to be a coach. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen.)

I'm just going on record with a fuck you. Childress wanted to come home. He was saddled with shit coaches. So fuck you. I hope he gets a chance to learn how to coach from legit coaches. Did i mention fuck you?

Truth hurts I guess. He hitched his wagon to two of the worst losers ever. Our guard play (his coaching) has been terrible during that period. Did I mention I don't give a fuck about your opinion?

Last edited:
Back