• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan stepping away; Songaila steps in

Or yet. He’s Tim Duncan. He can do any job with the Spurs he wants. Maybe they asked him to step in for a season after Udoka and Messina left. Who knows.

or yet? Basically said he did it as a favor.

Yeah he’s got tons of years of ‘productivity’ in any number of fields and one of them could definitely still be coaching.

Tim just needs to work at his garage and chill. Dude made nearly $250M in his playing career. Enjoy retirement, find some charitable causes to get involved with, and travel (when we can again).

What ever happened with his lawsuit against his former “financial advisor”?

I guess he's underrated, but the list of modern era Wake bigs better than Darius is Rogers and Duncan. I'll listen to an argument for Collins, but Darius is the best post scorer I've seen at Wake. He could shoot the three as well. Nowadays he'll shoot 1 or 2 a game.

Collins was better. Which is not a slight against Songaila- Collins was just really good. The fact that he only had 1 amazing season at Wake (as opposed to 4 good to great seasons by Songaila) doesn't diminish that fact. As a sophomore, Collins put up 19/10 on 63% shooting from the field. Songaila's only year close to that was his senior year, when he did 18/8 on 53%. I can't imagine what a Sr. John Collins would have done, especially given his development in his first 2 years in Atlanta.

But otherwise, I agree that in is Duncan/Rogers/Collins/Songaila for Wake post players since 1990, with Williams being 5th. If you expand back to 1980, I'm not sure how folks like Anthony Teachey, Kenny Green, and Chris King would slot in. I watched them, but not enough to have an opinion.

Collins was better. Which is not a slight against Songaila- Collins was just really good. The fact that he only had 1 amazing season at Wake (as opposed to 4 good to great seasons by Songaila) doesn't diminish that fact. As a sophomore, Collins put up 19/10 on 63% shooting from the field. Songaila's only year close to that was his senior year, when he did 18/8 on 53%. I can't imagine what a Sr. John Collins would have done, especially given his development in his first 2 years in Atlanta.

But otherwise, I agree that in is Duncan/Rogers/Collins/Songaila for Wake post players since 1990, with Williams being 5th. If you expand back to 1980, I'm not sure how folks like Anthony Teachey, Kenny Green, and Chris King would slot in. I watched them, but not enough to have an opinion.

Yeah, but Songaila played on much better teams. He played with Josh Howard, Robert Okelley, Craig Dawson...songaila had to carry less of a load, so his scoring and rebounding appeared less. Collins’ best teammates were the clock, maybe?

It’s probably a silly argument. Collins was great so was Songaila.

I remember senior year Songaila being a far better defender than sophomore John Collins

My memory is probably inflating the difference, and I believe coaching played a role (I think Manning needed Collins' offense so much, that played a role in Collins appearing indifferent at times defensively)

Both of those guys were tremendous scorers, though

Songaila had one of the best dunks by any Wake player against NC State his freshman year. Started from around the hash mark and went flying down the lane.

Songaila had one of the best dunks by any Wake player against NC State his freshman year. Started from around the hash mark and went flying down the lane.

Favorite dunks in Wake history is probably deserving of its own thread. My nomination is John Buck's breakaway against Dook.

Favorite dunks in Wake history is probably deserving of its own thread. My nomination is John Buck's breakaway against Dook.

Jeff Teague has reserved multiple spots in the top 10.

Rusty Larue dunking an alley oop in his final home game (24 pt win against UNC) has got to be in there.

Back