• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bringing Death Penalty Back at the Federal Level After Two Decades

What types of cases do you envision the death penalty serves as a deterrent that aren’t planned crimes?

One of the inmates from Georgia on Death Row (not one of the 5) beat a federal prison guard to death with a ball peen hammer.

He was already serving LWOP. At his sentencing hearing he was given the opportunity to speak and told the jury the guard “died like a dog”.

Depending on how it is administered, it is neither cruel nor unusual.

There are due process guarantees that apply before the government may deprive someone of their life, just like there are due process guarantees that apply before the government may deprive someone of their liberty, but we’ve gone way overboard when it comes to the death penalty.

in a public square?

If there is a death penalty, any prosecutor and all cops who frame or are dishonest and put an innocent person on death row should have to replace that person in the death chamber. It's no different than contract killing,

They got paid to try to kill an innocent person and should pay with their lives. They, their PDs and cities should be held civilly liable as well.

The same should happen on all crimes. If a cop lies or frames someone for a crime, that cop should have to do the highest level of prison for doing so.

Depending on how it is administered, it is neither cruel nor unusual.

There are due process guarantees that apply before the government may deprive someone of their life, just like there are due process guarantees that apply before the government may deprive someone of their liberty, but we’ve gone way overboard when it comes to the death penalty.

giphy.gif

One of the inmates from Georgia on Death Row (not one of the 5) beat a federal prison guard to death with a ball peen hammer.

He was already serving LWOP. At his sentencing hearing he was given the opportunity to speak and told the jury the guard “died like a dog”.

Doesn't sound like that type of person would be deterred by an execution would they?

What moron gave a lifer a ball peen hammer?

Isn't there a saying that bad cases make bad law?

He probably would have been if he had previously been executed.

Oh, so again, we should have the death penalty to prevent the rampant murder of prison guards by death row inmates. To be on the safe side, anyone convicted of a violent crime should be killed by the state as well.

Doesn't sound like that type of person would be deterred by an execution would they?

Well, I read about more about the case and it appears that 3 guards testified about the impact it had on the discipline and morale in the prison. Inmates were warning guards that it might be “hammer time” soon or saying things like “You know I’ve already got life without parole.”

The underlying crime that led to his initial sentence was the rape and murder of his wife at Camp Lejeune where she was stationed with the Marines.

What moron gave a lifer a ball peen hammer?

Isn't there a saying that bad cases make bad law?

Another inmate who was allowed access to tools gave him the hammer to fix something in his cell.

RJ, in answer to your question, we have several good issues for the man's appeal. I'm optimistic that we can get it back to life without parole. However, I am in what is known as the "death belt".

I recall that when Obama Care was being discussed there were many Republican legislators concerned about so-called "death panels". If you really want to see what a death panel looks like, I would be happy to post an en banc photograph of the judges of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

BTW, a study in Alabama found that it costs $700,000 more to execute an inmate than to house him for life.

Back