• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bringing Death Penalty Back at the Federal Level After Two Decades

Donkeys think of criminal justice in terms of fairness to criminals. I think of criminal justice in terms of fairness to victims, their families, and society at large. Criminals have rights, obviously, but their rights take a backseat to the interests of the people they have harmed.

Load of shit. First of all, no one believes you have empathy for victims and society as a whole given your politics. Second, sitting on death row, again, is a severe punishment.

Donkeys think of criminal justice in terms of fairness to criminals. I think of criminal justice in terms of fairness to victims, their families, and society at large. Criminals have rights, obviously, but their rights take a backseat to the interests of the people they have harmed.

Progressives tend to place more of an interest in fairness to criminals than conservatives. It’s just a matter of what weight different people give different interests

What % of the vote did Johnson get? it is an embarrassment that Donald Trump got elected President, but he wouldn't have if either the GOP or Dems put up a decent opposition candidate.

A: 3.28%, zero electoral votes.

Johnson and Stein got plenty of votes in states that put Donald over the top though. And it’s hard to say the GOP didn’t put up a decent opposition candidate when ever major republican on the national scene ran. There were over 15 people entered. Though I suppose I do agree with that point to some degree: there are no good GOP candidates period.

If there's no alternative to having the death penalty then I'm fine with having specific judges handle death penalty appeals so long as we do not sacrifice any part of a thorough process for speed.

Again though I find it troubling from a governance perspective that the state is killing anybody - due process or not.

If there's no alternative to having the death penalty then I'm fine with having specific judges handle death penalty appeals so long as we do not sacrifice any part of a thorough process for speed.

Again though I find it troubling from a governance perspective that the state is killing anybody - due process or not.

I think there are very limited circumstances where it should be applied and I think the bar for imposing it should be incredibly high. There cannot be any doubt.

For example, if Bin Laden has been captured rather than killed, I think that’s a pretty clear example. Even there the flip side is that you are creating a martyr and just inciting future violence.

Yeah I agree. Like I said, if the state executes one innocent person then IMO it isn't worth it for 100 Dylan Roofs or Bin Ladens.

The time suck of death penalty appeals is rarely the guilt or innocence of the accused. It’s almost always the due process holdings from the SCOTUS’s death-is-different jurisprudence.

Plenty of the due process holdings are there to ensure that the guilty is actually guilty. They aren't just hoops for the sake of hoops.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight but junebug’s...eagerness? excitement? for the death penalty is strange and off-putting. Like I get you’re in favor of the death penalty but you post like you’re loading a 1790s musket hoping you’ll be picked for the firing squad if it gets reinstituted.

The time suck of death penalty appeals is rarely the guilt or innocence of the accused. It’s almost always the due process holdings from the SCOTUS’s death-is-different jurisprudence.

What is the maximum amount of innocent people executed by the state that you consider acceptable?

And death is different and should be treated as such. It's the only permanent state that the government can enforce where there is no reversal chance.

Sig asks a good question. Since you seem to believe that the appeals process should be expedited along with what appears to be the belief that the courts should not treat a death sentence any differently from any other punishment, how many innocent people is it okay for the state to kill to satiate your blood thirst?

But what if I'm sure the person did it?

Another question is whether you believe that it's okay for the state to execute an actually innocent person if a jury of their peers convicted where all due process is met.

I would rather 100 guilty men walk free than execute a single innocent man.

But, again, the delays in death penalty cases do not typically relate to guilt or innocence.

Can you provide examples of discrete appeals issues that cause delays that don't relate to guilt or innocence? Or do you simply mean the delays take place because the courts are overworked and the appeals process takes a long time to play out?

Progressives tend to place more of an interest in fairness to criminals than conservatives. It’s just a matter of what weight different people give different interests

NAH - the Tunnels has made it clear that most, if not all, conservatives are uneducated evil white supremacist nazi's. Even minorities and those of the jewish faith who dare to hold any conservative opinions are white supremacist nazi's.

And everyone knows the Tunnels Left is comprised of the best, brightest, and most successful who are never wrong.

NAH - the Tunnels has made it clear that most, if not all, conservatives are uneducated evil white supremacist nazi's. Even minorities and those of the jewish faith who dare to hold any conservative opinions are white supremacist nazi's.

And everyone knows the Tunnels Left is comprised of the best, brightest, and most successful who are never wrong.

I certainly wouldn't expect the best and brightest to put an apostrophe in Nazis so that's a starting point.

Finally, he gets it. I fully expected conservatives with some decency to come out hard against Trump. I think Amash is the only one who has. So, yeah. It's Trump's party now -- completely. And we know what that means.

South Korea and Japan hang death row inmates. China shoots them in the head (not joking). Seemed relevant.

South Korea and Japan hang death row inmates. China shoots them in the head (not joking). Seemed relevant.

and Tibet? You guessed it....

frank-stallone.jpg

Back