• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bringing Death Penalty Back at the Federal Level After Two Decades

When will Barr and Trump say "Fuck, the law" and put The Squad on death row as "traitors"?

They're already illegally detaining and torturing American citizens, I definitely wouldn't put it past them:

Sad. Not a fan of the state killing people particularly where studies indicate there’s no real deterrent effect.

I’d say there is a decent chance that 1 of those 5 inmates did not do the crime for which he will be executed and I can guess what color his skin is.

Here are the five inmates from Fox News article:

Daniel Lewis Lee is scheduled to be executed on Dec. 9. Lee, a white supremacist, was convicted in May 1999 of murdering a family of three, including an eight-year-old girl. “After robbing and shooting the victims with a stun gun, Lee covered their heads with plastic bags, sealed the bags with duct tape, weighed down each victim with rocks, and threw the family of three into the Illinois bayou,” the DOJ said in a statement.

Lezmond Mitchell is scheduled to be executed Dec. 11. Mitchell was convicted in 2003 of stabbing to death a 63-year-old grandmother and, according to the DOJ, forcing “her nine-year-old granddaughter to sit beside her lifeless body for a 30 to 40-mile drive.” “Mitchell then slit the girl’s throat twice, crushed her head with 20-pound rocks, and severed and buried both victims’ heads and hands,” the Justice Department said.

Wesley Ira Purkey is scheduled to be executed on Dec. 13. Purkey was convicted in 2003 of raping and murdering a 16-year-old girl before dismembering, burning and dumping the girl’s body in a septic pond. “He also was convicted in state court for using a claw hammer to bludgeon to death an 80-year-old woman who suffered from polio and walked with a cane,” DOJ said.

Alfred Bourgeois is scheduled to be executed Jan. 13. He was convicted in 2004 of torturing, sexually molesting and beating to death his two-and-a-half-year-old daughter.

Dustin Lee Honken is scheduled to be executed on Jan. 15. He was convicted in 2004 of shooting and killing five people: two men who planned to testify against him, as well as a single mother and her two daughters.

Civilized states should not be executing people for many reasons, the paramount of which are moral considerations.

Other considerations: 1) executing innocent people, 2) disparate rates of execution based on race (for the same type of crime), and 3) no deterrence to greater population (states with the death penalty also closely parallel states with the highest murder rates - further per FBI most murders are not premeditated).

Only 1 of them is black, so I guess he has to be innocent !

Going full on racism here. Official member of the Trump cult. Someone get this guy his hood -- well deserved!

Junebug thinks the state should kill people because they might kill corrections officers or other inmates while they are in prison. That's why he thinks we should have the death penalty. Junebug is a lawyer.

So the reasons for the death penalty are financial and retributive? What are the other pro arguments?

I just returned from court. My client was sentenced to death. Fuck you, Junebug.

Back