• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Equifax Data Breach Settlement - Get Yo Money

tigerswood

Reaction score
I did it too. I thought I was lying by saying I "have" credit monitoring, but actually I do just by signing up for credit karma. So it seems like the steps for those to follow are:

1) See if your data was breached
2) If so and you have credit monitoring, then proceed. If you don't have credit monitoring, you can sign up for the free one like Credit Karma
3) Write down the claim number or take a picture of it. (I forgot to do this step)

Too many people are going to claim the $125 and everyone will end up with like $17.

Equifax got off so light.

Gonna be sweet when all the data from people submitting claims gets breached.

Too many people are going to claim the $125 and everyone will end up with like $17.

Equifax got off so light.

147 million affected. $425 million to spread out. If everyone took it (which they won't) it would be less than $3 in a one lump payment.
I assume that's taxable income :)
Maybe the free monitoring might be the better option, unless they automatically renew it and stick it to you in 4 years.
Things that make you go hmmm.

Gonna be sweet when all the data from people submitting claims gets breached.

And then they get off by claiming you waived your rights to protection by going for the cash. Kind of how I see this playing out. After I claimed the cash, of course.

147 million affected. $425 million to spread out. If everyone took it (which they won't) it would be less than $3 in a one lump payment.
I assume that's taxable income :)
Maybe the free monitoring might be the better option, unless they automatically renew it and stick it to you in 4 years.
Things that make you go hmmm.

At least $575 million and up to $700 million.

But some people who had to deal with identity theft will get much more than those who don't. What I'm saying is don't stop putting money in your 401k.

I'm gonna buy .0001 of a bit coin and let it ride until retirement.

Are y'all not also claiming $25/hr for time spent in the second section? Up to 10 hrs doesn't require documentation or evidence. $250 more for my time spent ordering credit reports, reviewing credit reports, monitoring credit activity, etc.

The site is run by the settlement administrators, though, it's all good! Perfectly safe and secure!

They should have moved the decimal place. The fine should have been $4B+.

The credit bureaus are corrupt and basically unregulated. The concept that your credit score is X is a myth. It changes by who is checking you out and how they weight the report. These variances can be dramatic.

The groups that ruins more peoples' credit than anyone else are doctors and healthcare companies. Doctors are, by far, the worst. They sell their AR to companies who then screw people at alarming rates. You could have a charge-off without even knowing it.

Are y'all not also claiming $25/hr for time spent in the second section? Up to 10 hrs doesn't require documentation or evidence. $250 more for my time spent ordering credit reports, reviewing credit reports, monitoring credit activity, etc.

Well you're also signing that you actually spent time doing all of that.

Well you're also signing that you actually spent time doing all of that.

It's pretty feasible to spend at least 10 hours doing that, I probably spent 4-5 hours just researching and locking my credit at all 3 agencies (including having to actually send one request by mail because the online portal didn't like what I was putting in), and then another 4-5 over the course of the next couple years monitoring manually and worrying about temporary unfreezes and freezing back for loan/mortgage stuff (which was the real PITA).

It's pretty feasible to spend at least 10 hours doing that, I probably spent 4-5 hours just researching and locking my credit at all 3 agencies (including having to actually send one request by mail because the online portal didn't like what I was putting in), and then another 4-5 over the course of the next couple years monitoring manually and worrying about temporary unfreezes and freezing back for loan/mortgage stuff (which was the real PITA).

Oh definitely. I just meant that if you didn't actually spend much time doing it, you shouldn't say you did (may ask for documentation later - likely not but still not something you wanna have out there if you didn't do it). I took the question to mean that if you didn't need documentation why not just put it down.

Back