• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IF we increase our debt limit,

not a surprise for Trump/his team. he knows how to talk to his constituency and they definitely don't give a shit about the deficit

Does anyone have any clue on what our real plan is repay all this debt? If not, how can we consider borrowing money under those conditions?

In the absence of a plan to repay the loan, is it immoral to do so, or just irresponsible?

No. It’s an agreement to pay regular payments with another party content to accept those payments. It’s not about paying the whole thing off.

No. It’s an agreement to pay regular payments with another party content to accept those payments. It’s not about paying the whole thing off.

Mostly true. The national debt is made up of millions of separate US government bonds that each have their own maturity dates (10 year being a very common one). These are being paid off, and new ones issued, constantly. So I would amend your statement to say that the lenders are happy to receive the scheduled interest payments and they have full confidence that the US will pay off each individual instrument, in full, when it comes due. The best way to shake that confidence is to do dumb shit like have government shutdowns over walls and threaten to default over debt ceilings. If US debt is perceived as more risky, the interest rates could go up, and the debt service costs will start to eat up more and more of the taxpayer's dollar.

I'm against raising the debt limit, so I don't need to be advocating the plan to repay debt I'm against. My plan is not to borrow in the first plan. It's important to point out that my plans works.

If you're for borrowing the money, you have to be for paying it back. If you will an end, you must will the means to that end, eh teach?

I'm against raising the debt limit, so I don't need to be advocating the plan to repay debt I'm against. My plan is not to borrow in the first plan. It's important to point out that my plans works.

If you're for borrowing the money, you have to be for paying it back. If you will an end, you must will the means to that end, eh teach?

There’s a big difference, massive difference between paying it back and paying it all back.

Who is scared they aren’t going to get paid?

Agreed...simple, money in and money out. Increased debt decreases the value of your money. We learned that corporations cannot be trusted to support Americans or they wouldn’t have spent all the tax break on buying back their own stocks. The tax break ended up the sham most of us thought it would be.

The reality is it make a lot of sense to borrow when interest rates and cost of labor are low. The House GOP screwed us royally by not doing the $1-2T infrastructure deal in 11 or 12. We were at insanely low interest, real estate and labor costs.

Yep, Pubs have pissed away great opportunities to build shit and raise revenue over the past 8 years.

Funny,for 37 straight months I watched our government print and inject $85 billion a month into the economy under Obama/Yellen. 3.145 Trillion Dollars in 3 years and a month and all while moving interest rates NOT even a 1/4 point.

Yellen while Obama held the reigns “I have little concern over our countries debt load”

Yellen after Trump “The debt level is keeping me up late and causing me nightmares”

..and,of course, Trump came in and sparked a now ressurgent economy with the latest evidence being 315,000 new jobs and the lowest minority and female unemployment since the height of the Cold War.As an “abrasive” agent he has forced old,festering political differences to be confronted.His use of friction to exacerbate and highlight differences is a useful tool in an age of long winded policy junkets so laden with nuance that they render the participants impotent.We have seen this with North Korea and both sides of the aisle kicking the can down the road. We see it with China and both parties kicking the can (Politicians,business leaders and academics have been talking about “Chinese practices” for decades with no headway on taking action).You see it in Prison Reform with neither side ceding any ground and yet Trump forced the issue to get results.

Funny,for 37 straight months I watched our government print and inject $85 billion a month into the economy under Obama/Yellen. 3.145 Trillion Dollars in 3 years and a month and all while moving interest rates NOT even a 1/4 point.

Yellen while Obama held the reigns “I have little concern over our countries debt load”

Yellen after Trump “The debt level is keeping me up late and causing me nightmares”

..and,of course, Trump came in and sparked a now ressurgent economy with the latest evidence being 315,000 new jobs and the lowest minority and female unemployment since the height of the Cold War.As an “abrasive” agent he has forced old,festering political differences to be confronted.His use of friction to exacerbate and highlight differences is a useful tool in an age of long winded policy junkets so laden with nuance that they render the participants impotent.We have seen this with North Korea and both sides of the aisle kicking the can down the road. We see it with China and both parties kicking the can (Politicians,business leaders and academics have been talking about “Chinese practices” for decades with no headway on taking action).You see it in Prison Reform with neither side ceding any ground and yet Trump forced the issue to get results.

during the massive recession brought on by Republican leadership?

Agreed...simple, money in and money out. Increased debt decreases the value of your money. We learned that corporations cannot be trusted to support Americans or they wouldn’t have spent all the tax break on buying back their own stocks. The tax break ended up the sham most of us thought it would be.

We service our debt to stay current (thereby avoiding default), then prioritize the rest. That way we cut/tax once today, rather than having to cut/tax twice tomorrow. I'm not against raising taxe....sorry, "making revenue adjustments." It's better than borrowing without a plan to pay back...and it just might help us be more accountable for our choices, rather than continuing to mortgage our kids futures to pay for current discretionary spending.

Dumb coservatives seem oblivious to economic cycles and how to navigate them.

Dumb coservatives seem oblivious to economic cycles and how to navigate them.

1) Ruin economy
2) Lose election because economy is ruined
3) Blame incoming president for ruined economy
4) Obstruct any reasonable efforts to fix ruined economy
5) Run campaign about how your party can fix the ruined economy caused by Dem president
6) Win election
7) See #1

Rinse. Repeat.

Our ballooning budget deficit reflects an unhealthy democracy

By the Editorial Board

In a healthy democracy, the budgeting process reflects a reasonable balance between the resources available and policy priorities, both present and future. Leaders persuade voters to accept trade-offs in the public interest. In an unhealthy democracy, leaders pretend that resources are unlimited and compete for voter favor by promising the moon. They engage in magical thinking. They opportunistically abandon their party’s supposed fiscal principles, as the Republicans have done under Mr. Trump. Judged by these criteria, alas, democracy in the United States is not healthy.

Back