• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IF we increase our debt limit,

We need to raise taxes because I want people to see how much government they are getting. Once they realize how much they owe, maybe they will come to their senses.

This stems from the argument that the conservatives/libertarians need to "starve the beast." Well, it ain't going to happen. Let's see if the voters really want to pay for all the programs emanating from Washington.

We need to raise taxes because I want people to see how much government they are getting. Once they realize how much they owe, maybe they will come to their senses.

This stems from the argument that the conservatives/libertarians need to "starve the beast." Well, it ain't going to happen. Let's see if the voters really want to pay for all the programs emanating from Washington.

The recent Minnesota experience suggests that's not a good idea.

They were without a government for 2 weeks and people are going half nuts because they can't get fishing licenses and such.

The debt limit is what investors (nation states, institutional investors and individuals) are willing go in for. We will reach the point, without question, where these 18 month to 2 year clashes will become meaningless. We are pretty damn close as it is.

Only in our crazy ass government could you conceive the spender setting their own credit limit.

Is $1T a lot over the course of 10 years? Doesn't seem like a lot.

25-30% increase in current deficit per a year, but those don’t matter anymore

Says the man who claims $100/month can make a Democrat a Republican

Well I've been trying to start the world's greatest Laser Tag business, and just waiting on em to fix the tax code before I started my true passion.

Remember when 'pubs gave a shit about the debt? Fucking hypocrites.

Deficits only matter if a LibDem is in the White House. If it's a Republican, deficits suddenly become irrelevant to the conversation...until the next LibDem gets elected president.

I wish jhmd was around to comment on his commentary from 2011 now that the Dow is at 24,000 and unemployment is at 4.1%.

His plans in 2009, 2011 or 2013, would have caused recessionary pressure on the economy and would have caused more suffering. Austerity doesn't work when an economy is trying to recover.

Last edited:
Deficits only matter if a LibDem is in the White House. If it's a Republican, deficits suddenly become irrelevant to the conversation...until the next LibDem gets elected president.

Some of us used to be Pubs (past tense) for just that reason. Our deficits will become a problem even if the Republicans in general aren't talking about them anymore.

I wish jhmd was around to comment on his commentary from 2011 now that the Dow is at 24,000 and unemployment is at 4.1%.

His plans in 2009, 2011 or 2013, would have caused recessionary pressure on the economy and would have caused more suffering. Austerity doesn't work when an economy is trying to recover.

Who benefitted from the Dow being at 24,000?

Wait a minute...are you saying we should actually decide policy based on the context of each situation and not on tribal dogmas? What a novel idea.

Yep, we haven't paid off our debt since the mid 40s and we haven't had a plan to either, and somehow the financial armageddon that the deficit hawks have been preaching since that time has not come to pass. It just shows a complete lack of understanding of marcoeconomics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...ver-ever-has-to-pay-back-all-its-debt/272747/

rubiosmile.gif

I don’t understand his economics either.

As Grassley said, we need to cut taxes and run up the debt in order to stimulate growth to pay off the debt. :plos:

Back