• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

July 26 - We Still Miss You Skip

RIP Skip

Nice to have so many thousands remember you fondly 15 years after your passing.

Skip would be 71, turning 72 in November.

Since Skip left:

- 15 seasons
- 221-244 overall
- 90-174 (ACC regular season)
- 2-15 (ACC Tournament - have not won a quarterfinal ACC Tournament game in more than 18 years)
- 3 NCAA bids (1-3 in the NCAAT)
- 1 NIT bid

The coach that succeeded Skip is now a convicted felon, and by essentially default, he was the best of Skip's next three successors. Saying a certain event changed the course of a athletic program is often over-used and overly dramatic, but not in this case. WF basketball went into the abyss on July 26, 2007.

and forever made my birthday a sad day :(

Since Skip left:

- 15 seasons
- 221-244 overall
- 2-15 (ACC Tournament - have not won a quarterfinal ACC Tournament game in more than 18 years)
- 1 NIT bid

The coach that succeeded Skip is now a convicted felon, and by essentially default, he was the best of Skip's next three successors. Saying a certain event changed the course of a athletic program is often over-used and overly dramatic, but not in this case. WF basketball went into the abyss on July 26, 2007.

YOU LEFT OUT THE NUBER #1 RANKING !!!

Skip was an all around guy. Bright. Funny. Enthusiastic. Miss him still

YOU LEFT OUT THE NUBER #1 RANKING !!!

Most importantly- he swung for the fences and showed us that LOWF could be over after the Odom days. Yeah it didn’t work out but it was fun believing we could get to the mountain 2003-2005

Since Skip left:

- 15 seasons
- 221-244 overall
- 1 NIT bid

Sad. Care to do the 15 years prior? Pretty stark contrast I'm sure.

WF basketball 1992-93 to the 2006-7 season:

- 15 seasons
- 318-161 overall
- 135-105 (ACC regular season)
- 10 NCAA bids (14-10 in the NCAA Tournament)
- Two ACCT titles

Since Skip left:

- 15 seasons
- 221-244 overall
- 1 NIT bid

Wake could not help that Skip passed away nor did it have great options in July, 2007. But what was allowed to happen for over a decade by Ron Wellman is absolutely unforgivable. Absolutely every mistake that could be made for TEN YEARS was made by that jackass. Hatch was complicit and apparently chose to look the other way while our flagship program was absolutely gutted. Still pisses me off to this day.

RIP Skip and thank you Lord for John Currie!

Well, time for my pint of Guinness in memory of Skip.

May he ever RIP.

Remembering Skip Prosser and all that he was to Wake Forest, our men’s basketball program, our athletic department, and college basketball as a whole.

He was everything that was good about college sports back then, an asset to the coaching profession, and a true mentor to young men.

Men like Skip Prosser are rare, but I do believe Forbes has similar energy and passion. I think Skip would approve of him.

Wake could not help that Skip passed away nor did it have great options in July, 2007. But what was allowed to happen for over a decade by Ron Wellman is absolutely unforgivable. Absolutely every mistake that could be made for TEN YEARS was made by that jackass. Hatch was complicit and apparently chose to look the other way while our flagship program was absolutely gutted. Still pisses me off to this day.

RIP Skip and thank you Lord for John Currie!

If you're saying we basically had to go with Dino, I'm not sure I agree. We could have named Dino the interim HC and conducted a national search. That's exactly what should have transpired.

Coaches we almost assuredly could have gotten: Jim Larranaga, Gregg Marshall, Bob Huggins (lol @ Wellman doing this), Lon Kruger, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett
Coaches who would have at least listened: Jay Wright, Mark Few

If you're saying we basically had to go with Dino, I'm not sure I agree. We could have named Dino the interim HC and conducted a national search. That's exactly what should have transpired.

Coaches we almost assuredly could have gotten: Jim Larranaga, Gregg Marshall, Bob Huggins (lol @ Wellman doing this), Lon Kruger, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett

I don't know and don't care at this point. What I can state as fact is that for 10+ years our basketball program was a complete and total shit-show and it was thanks to an egotistical and borderline incompetent AD.

And, no, I never said we "had" to go with Dino. I said our options were limited.

Our program was light years more attractive in 2007 than it is today- we were only 2 years removed from #1 ranking. None of those candidates would even pick up the phone today if we called them (assuming they were at their same spots as they were in 2007). We had 3 guys who are still earning a paycheck in the NBA today on the roster or coming the next year - JJ, Teague, and Ish - not to mention the AT&T class. Yes- they would have likely re-opened recruitment with a new coach but having 2 5 star guys and a 4 star committed is very attractive to a new coach. Yes- I know that we named Dino HC with no interim tag to keep AT&T - which I agreed with at the time. Lesson is you can�t bet future of the program on some 17-18 year old kids that may or may not pan out for a variety of reasons.

I will never forget where I was when I heard the news. Ruined a perfectly good vacation.
I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to meet him. It will be a moment I’ll never forget.
RIP Skip.

Our program was light years more attractive in 2007 than it is today- we were only 2 years removed from #1 ranking. None of those candidates would even pick up the phone today if we called them (assuming they were at their same spots as they were in 2007). We had 3 guys who are still earning a paycheck in the NBA today on the roster or coming the next year - JJ, Teague, and Ish - not to mention the AT&T class. Yes- they would have likely re-opened recruitment with a new coach but having 2 5 star guys and a 4 star committed is very attractive to a new coach. Yes- I know that we named Dino HC with no interim tag to keep AT&T - which I agreed with at the time. Lesson is you can�t bet future of the program on some 17-18 year old kids that may or may not pan out for a variety of reasons.

If only we had hired high point assistant coach Wes Miller.

I remember I was sitting in Panera when I heard the news that he died. I was in shock. Wake basketball has never been quite the same. The excitement he created around the program has not been matched since

I was at Pawleys Island. Like someone had knocked me down.

Back