• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Orlando

mako1331

Son of Mako's Mom
Reaction score
Y’all were on point with the San Antonio recommendations, pit pals, so here’s another travel query for you. The wife has a two day conference in Orlando, so I’m tagging along with her and will have a couple days to kill before we fly out to Mexico for our 10 year anniversary trip. She’ll be working all day, and the kids will be at home, so I didn’t really wanna be that creepy middle aged dude walking around Disney or Universal by himself. Is there anything worthwhile in Orlando, or would I be better served just hitting the pool and the gym for a couple days and maybe catching the new Tarantino flick?

If it were me I’d probably hang by the pool or head over to Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach.

Kennedy Space Center visitors center. Get the history of th US space program.

Merritt Island Wildlife refuge.

Cape Canaveral National Seashore.

My wife is from Orlando and I spend a lot of time there for work. If you aren't doing Disney / Sea World / Universal, the best thing for you to do is pool, gym, and the movies.

If you want to see a bit of DeacsATS history up close and personal, you can check out the dump that is Latitudes... A roof-top bar downtown where I met my wife 11 years ago. It is a shithole and will be completely empty during the week.

Other than that, enjoy your hotel and some relaxation.

where are you staying? Many of the resorts have pretty boss pools with poolside service, etc. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon chilling out poolside relaxing with a cold beverage in hand.

If you want to see a bit of DeacsATS history up close and personal, you can check out the dump that is Latitudes... A roof-top bar downtown where I met my wife 11 years ago. It is a shithole and will be completely empty during the week.

LOL we used to go there weekly during summer 2006, or so. I'm pretty sure Tuesday or Wednesday nights they had dollar everything. Real classy establishment.

LOL we used to go there weekly during summer 2006, or so. I'm pretty sure Tuesday or Wednesday nights they had dollar everything. Real classy establishment.

I went back a couple of months ago because I was staying at a hotel just down the street and I thought my wife would enjoy a picture of me drinking a beer in the exact spot we met roughly 11 years earlier.

It was empty. I don't mean that there were a few patrons milling about... EMPTY. Just me and the bartender (a UCF student who was very nice, but she obviously didn't give a shit about my little story). Granted, this was like 9pm on a Monday or Tuesday night, but geez.

If you went in summer of 2006, I can assure you it is EXACTLY the same. They have made zero changes. I am surprised it is still open.

If we had one day to do one park, which one and why?

If you have time to check out St Augustine, I recommend that. It's a bit of a drive, but it's my favorite part of north Florida.

If you have time to check out St Augustine, I recommend that. It's a bit of a drive, but it's my favorite part of north Florida.

I’ve only been a couple of times, but I have the opposite take. It’s not worth he 2 hour drive. Maybe it was where I was, but st. Augustine seemed mostly like a tourist trap place.

If we had one day to do one park, which one and why?

Sea World is pretty underrated - doesn't cost as much, isn't as busy, has shows and rides - didn't have to prepare in advance or pay some crazy money for line skip passes or whatever. Its also super close to I-drive, which is where most of the conferences are held.

If you want one of the major ones - Disney is great for little kids, Universal Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios is great for elementary and middle schoolers - just pick out the brands you prefer, Epcot is pretty fun for adults - boring for kids, Animal Kingdom is ok, but its a zoo with rides.

Epcot in summer is really damn hot. Not much shade, and the concrete basically serves as a convection oven.

Assuming crowd levels are normal to low, I always prefer a trip to Magic Kingdom just for the quintessential Disney experience.

At the park, get fast pass 100% worth it.

Kennedy Space Center is cool but like $60 per.

Don’t spend much time at Coco beach...so boring, a boardwalk and beach. Packed and dirty, in my experiences.

If it's just you- I'd do Discovery Cove. It's awesome- all-inclusive, never super busy. You can just chill, eat/drink, snorkel, take a nap under an umbrella all day

sea world is terrible

I like Sea World.

I liked it a lot better like 10 years ago when it was still owned by Anheuser-Busch and you could drink for free all day.

But no, I wouldn't do it if I were in Orlando for a day or two.

I’ve only been a couple of times, but I have the opposite take. It’s not worth he 2 hour drive. Maybe it was where I was, but st. Augustine seemed mostly like a tourist trap place.

agreed -- St. Augustine to me was just a bunch of old people around a kinda cool downtown square with bland bars and restaurants

Just saw an ad for Sesame Street at Sea World. We're going to Orlando in October and had planned on a couple days at Disney - any advice on if Sea World is worth it mainly for SS? Son will 2.

Back