• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pud Foster retiring after 19 season.

The Wake game has been designated as Bud Foster Day. Emotions will play a role, one way or the other. Time will tell what will be the other storylines.
ETA: If you're a Wake fan wanting to attend, better get your tickets early. The Hokie Nation loves Bud and will turn out in force. It likely wouldn't be a sellout if he wasn't retiring but should now be one. It will not be another 6 - 3 OT game.

Last edited:
Foster’s 2006 defense almost de-railed our Orange Bowl season.

IIRC, they put on a clinic for how defensive backs could come up and support to stop the run.

They hit so hard, some of which might now be helmet to helmet, they knocked out Kevin Harris, and we looked intimidated on our own field.

Still a good tape to watch since for several weeks that fall, nobody was scoring on VT.

IIRC, they put on a clinic for how defensive backs could come up and support to stop the run.

They hit so hard, some of which might now be helmet to helmet, they knocked out Kevin Harris, and we looked intimidated on our own field.

Still a good tape to watch since for several weeks that fall, nobody was scoring on VT.

The Kevin Harris hit was absolutely helmet to helmet and resulted in a fumble.

Last edited:
Foster was a fantastic DC and had some pretty darn good Ds. Their recruiting classes have traditionally been ranked in the 20-30 range, yet they have ended up with some top 10 rankings and won some ACC titles. He deserves much of the credit. He also has the rep for being quite the wild guy off the field.

The game didn't mean anything to us (had to beat Maryland the next week regardless) so we rested several guys. Paid off.

The game didn't mean anything to us (had to beat Maryland the next week regardless) so we rested several guys. Paid off.

This is accurate, but I hated that we lost that game so badly. That was one I really wanted to win that year and I remember feeling that we got exposed on a few fronts.

This is accurate, but I hated that we lost that game so badly. That was one I really wanted to win that year and I remember feeling that we got exposed on a few fronts.

Wake got "exposed" because the fifth (or was it 6th?) string running back was playing.

It was a completely meaningless game. I don't even think Idlette dressed along with others.

The Kevin Harris hit was absolutely helmet to helmet and resulted in a fumble.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY. No one would have NOT fumbled.
Was also a pretty dirty hit IMHO and probably a big factor in changing of the rules later. He was out for some games but came back and was a big factor in winning the WFU-Navy Bowl game in old RFK Stadium. (very cold day!)

it was also lame as hell because all those neck Tech fans forged tickets and were let into the student section. we had to stand on the damn bleachers while a bunch of Tech rubes were standing on the ground, and yet the ushers or police didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Foster was a fantastic DC and had some pretty darn good Ds. Their recruiting classes have traditionally been ranked in the 20-30 range, yet they have ended up with some top 10 rankings and won some ACC titles. He deserves much of the credit. He also has the rep for being quite the wild guy off the field.

Met his girlfriend at Ocean Annies in Myrtle Beach around 2005. She was smoking HOT.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY. No one would have NOT fumbled.
Was also a pretty dirty hit IMHO and probably a big factor in changing of the rules later. He was out for some games but came back and was a big factor in winning the WFU-Navy Bowl game in old RFK Stadium. (very cold day!)

Wrong year. He got hurt in 2006. Orange Bowl.

Wrong year. He got hurt in 2006. Orange Bowl.

I stand corrected, mixed up years. Thanks. I did attend both those games. That hit (VT) was directly in front of me. Seems like he was injured badly and took a long while to come back strong. But my recall is he was crucial in the win over Navy in the Eagle Bank Bowl. I was very happy for him, and the team, that COLD day.

Back