• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homecoming Hotels

awakegirl

Reaction score
Hi! I did a search, but couldn't find a specific thread on Winston hotels. If there is one already, I apologize.

I am taking my sons to Winston for the first time ever for Homecoming. We are staying with a friend in Raleigh for one night, but I thought it would be fun to stay in Winston for one night so that I could have some time outside of the game to show them around campus, etc. My "go to" hotels that I know if in town are all booked and I'm cautious about booking blindly. My kids are 4 and 6, so doesn't have to be anything outrageously fancy by any means, but clean, safe, etc.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Last edited:
The Kimpton is where I usually stay. Should be good for a kid, they have a pretty fun little game room setup in the basement.

The Kimpton is where I usually stay. Should be good for a kid, they have a pretty fun little game room setup in the basement.

If available, The Kimpton would be a great option. Graylyn would also be fun.

Hotel Indigo opened downtown this year. Hanes Mall area has a bunch of options. Holiday Inn on Miller Street isn't that far from campus and definitely won't qualify as outrageously fancy.

Thanks! I tried the Marriott, Kimptin and Indigo and all are booked. GSO might be where we end up! Thanks for the suggestions!

I despise the Hanes Mall area, but I'd look there before GSO. Several reasonably priced hotels out there with many nearby food options.

Thanks! I tried the Marriott, Kimptin and Indigo and all are booked. GSO might be where we end up! Thanks for the suggestions!

Did you try Graylyn? It's a fun location for kids - lots of outdoor space to run around, plus, free ice cream!

Hotel Indigo opened downtown this year. Hanes Mall area has a bunch of options. Holiday Inn on Miller Street isn't that far from campus and definitely won't qualify as outrageously fancy.

And it's just up the hill from the Cloverdale Kitchen, one of my favorite breakfast places.

Did you try Graylyn? It's a fun location for kids - lots of outdoor space to run around, plus, free ice cream!

I would assume if they're having to look in GSO for hotels that Graylyn is long booked up

Wrong, Cagney's is far superior.

No experience with Cagney's so I can't compare. The Cloverdale Kitchen's laid-back neighborhood atmosphere would be good for small kids and it won't bust a budget.

Might try house through Air BnB etc. Got a nice house (3 bedrooms) for barely more than hotel cost in neighborhood near Hanes Mall.

ETA:

That house had a very nice fenced in back yard and a playroom with available toys for various ages of kids. It was in a very quiet neighborhood, on a cul de sac. It was only a few blocks to a major street, so an easy drive to get to other places.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Necrobumping this thread for homecoming 2022 questions. After not having been back to MSD since a few months after graduating, I was really hoping to make it back this year. However, I just found out I can’t get time off from work that week.

The best I can probably do is leave early afternoon on that Friday, and I need to be back home on Sunday. Google maps says it’s 7 hours by car (going through Atlanta and Charlotte). I could fly directly into Charlotte, but flying to GSO means a connection. Functionally, I’d be there for just Saturday.

Apart from the game, what are the major activities that happen on Saturday? Sunday morning? Would I feel like I really missed out if I’m not there on Friday? If I’m mostly there for the game, am I better off going a different weekend that’s easier for me to handle schedule-wise?

Thanks.

Necrobumping this thread for homecoming 2022 questions. After not having been back to MSD since a few months after graduating, I was really hoping to make it back this year. However, I just found out I can’t get time off from work that week.

The best I can probably do is leave early afternoon on that Friday, and I need to be back home on Sunday. Google maps says it’s 7 hours by car (going through Atlanta and Charlotte). I could fly directly into Charlotte, but flying to GSO means a connection. Functionally, I’d be there for just Saturday.

Apart from the game, what are the major activities that happen on Saturday? Sunday morning? Would I feel like I really missed out if I’m not there on Friday? If I’m mostly there for the game, am I better off going a different weekend that’s easier for me to handle schedule-wise?

Thanks.

Party So Dear, and Reunion Class Parties are both on Friday.
Saturday will be football game, alumni tailgate, festival on the quad.
Sunday is usually the service of remembrance then worship service lead by an alum and/or Dean Walton.

Back