• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ICE arrests nearly 700 in immigration raid in MS

Ha. The unemployed, opiate using, welfare receiving, Mississippians described in that article are not going to see a fucking bat signal and say to themselves "they need me, it's my time," and sign up for a deboning job on the line at the chicken plant.

What the article gets right is that the cost of labor will dramatically increase if such a large portion of the unskilled/general labor pool is lost. In the end, the Mississippi family that is barely scraping by (the consumer) now bears the true cost of this mess. That cheap meal they used to rely on is now more expensive. The bargain shirts they used to buy are more expensive. And many of them voted for exactly this.

And that is truly the most cynical and hypocritical part of the entire debate. We've all been benefitting from this aspect of the economy for likely our entire lives. The companies and consumers save on labor costs, and vilify the workers.

Other than the color of their skin, and the fact that they might not speak English, why is anyone against people coming to the US, working the shit jobs that no one wants to do, and then paying taxes?

Other than the color of their skin, and the fact that they might not speak English, why is anyone against people coming to the US, working the shit jobs that no one wants to do, and then paying taxes?

No idea. None. Give them legal status and a path to citizenship.

Would just like to reiterate that abolishing ICE was the right message in 2016, and its even more necessary now.

Not very good clue readers I see, even though I directed you to the right paragraph. I’ll try to be more clear. The first clue, and I apologize for inferring this was in the article, is that you are all morons. Again, apologies. The second is “ongoing criminal matter.” The third, which relates to the last, is that ICE is run by Customs folks and has been since consolidation who don’t like to touch legacy INS stuff unless it will bring headlines. It has to be big and solid to get a sniff. That one isn’t so easy to figure out. And if you think they just employ Latinos, refer back to my first clue. Also see the part about squeezing for info, which I suspect will be the case here.

As an aside, I have long advocated making these kinds of jobs easier to obtain legally, with the caveat that enforcement be strict after changes are made and that this type of job not be tied into a path for citizenship. That should be reserved for jobs requiring high skills and/or education. Doesn’t matter really what I believe though. Dems have gone completely off the rails and GOP is either what the Dems used to be a few years ago or a blanket enforcement monolith lacking any ideas in actual policy. Whatever sells to the tubes.

Why don’t you want people who want to live and work here to have a path to citizenship? Sounds like your issue isn’t the legal/illegal distinction. Odd.

You’re totally right. It doesn’t matter what you believe.

They're starting to crack down on restaurants in LA more visibly of late. The cheaper food is nice, but stiffing the workers on minimum wage sucks. Also, a fair amount of taxes are avoided. The owners often steal the tips, too. On the flip side it costs about $18 to get a hamburger these days at a normal scale reasonable restaurant with minimum wage about to be $15 in a year or two.

https://la.eater.com/2018/10/5/17942844/southern-california-thai-restaurants-labor-laws-violation

Last edited:
Not very good clue readers I see, even though I directed you to the right paragraph. I’ll try to be more clear. The first clue, and I apologize for inferring this was in the article, is that you are all morons. Again, apologies. The second is “ongoing criminal matter.” The third, which relates to the last, is that ICE is run by Customs folks and has been since consolidation who don’t like to touch legacy INS stuff unless it will bring headlines. It has to be big and solid to get a sniff. That one isn’t so easy to figure out. And if you think they just employ Latinos, refer back to my first clue. Also see the part about squeezing for info, which I suspect will be the case here.

As an aside, I have long advocated making these kinds of jobs easier to obtain legally, with the caveat that enforcement be strict after changes are made and that this type of job not be tied into a path for citizenship. That should be reserved for jobs requiring high skills and/or education. Doesn’t matter really what I believe though. Dems have gone completely off the rails and GOP is either what the Dems used to be a few years ago or a blanket enforcement monolith lacking any ideas in actual policy. Whatever sells to the tubes.

meh

It’s almost like we should work towards effecting bipartisan legislative that will better address border security, the needs of ‘merican employers, and guest workers. While providing reasonable protections for citizen and guest workers.

I’m looking at you, 113th house.

Border security doesn’t matter.

As long as there’s demand for cheap labor, the supply will find a way through.

pig gonna pig

Whenever anyone fucks imply/infer up, I can’t bring myself to objectively listen to the rest of their argument.

Back