• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ICE arrests nearly 700 in immigration raid in MS

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score

At the same time Trump was telling El Paso how he loves Hispanics, he was destroying Hispanic families.

The lines "the operation had already traumatized the Latino community" and "people are terrified" tells you all you need to know about why they did this. It's blatant intimidation and fear tactics. Trumpites want immigrants from Latin America to leave the US (legal as well as illegal, truth be told), and these types of raids are designed to bully and scare them into doing so. I would expect a lot more of these "raids" as we move into the election year - it's throwing more red meat to Trump's base. "See what we're doing to scare all of the Hispanics out of the USA? #maga!"

In response to Highland Deac, I don't disagree with you. But I do think it's bad politics. My guess: 25% of the country loves this, 50% hate it. Building the wall (even if Mexico doesn't pay for it) is far more popular. The images of distraught children - who are completely innocent victims - cannot possibly be good for Trump. This is very sad.

I've said this multiple times, but once again. If this were really about "rule of law," and if the administration and the right actually gave a shit about "illegal" immigration, they would be going after the employers 10x as hard as the employees. Imagine a system where the drug user faces harsher penalties than the dealer. Not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

Sandy Hook and the aftermath should have told you that this country doesn’t care about children as much it pretends to.

In response to Highland Deac, I don't disagree with you. But I do think it's bad politics. My guess: 25% of the country loves this, 50% hate it. Building the wall (even if Mexico doesn't pay for it) is far more popular. The images of distraught children - who are completely innocent victims - cannot possibly be good for Trump. This is very sad.

I've said this multiple times, but once again. If this were really about "rule of law," and if the administration and the right actually gave a shit about "illegal" immigration, they would be going after the employers 10x as hard as the employees. Imagine a system where the drug user faces harsher penalties than the dealer. Not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

I'm not so sure your 25% isn't closer to 40%. I can only imagine how Fox is selling the raid. Ugh.

But in addition to all the families and children who are being traumatized, this is also going to cause a strain on local government agencies, especially schools and social services departments, and I can't imagine that local governments in MS are exactly flush with cash. Mass ICE raids traumatize immigrants, create hardships for local governments and disrupt local economies. It's horrible from every perspective.

Why do you think this isn’t the first step in an action against the plant?

I can’t tell if you’re just trolling.

"ICE leadership claimed its crackdown is focused on employers and employees equally as part of a balanced approach to worksite enforcement, but the data show that the majority of arrests in 2018 were of workers.

The 113 members of management charged with criminal violations in 2018 increased 82 percent from the previous year, but the 666 workers charged with criminal violations increased by 812 percent. The number of "administrative arrests" – those for basic immigration violations that are predominantly used against workers – spiked from 172 in 2017 to 1,525 in 2018. The 121 federal indictments and convictions of managers in 2018 represented a 10-year low for the agency."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/11/donald-trump-targeted-more-worksites-undocumented-immigrants-immigration-and-customs-enforcement/2263656002/

Again, I asked where Junebug has seen "commensurate action" taken. Even in extreme (and very rare) cases where criminal charges are brought against ownership/management, that will likely be resolved with payment of a penalty or fine. Meanwhile, the families of these workers are being torn apart and permanently damaged.

Businesses are often owned by fewer people than they employ. Of course the number of employees impacted by an increased emphasis on enforcement will be smaller than the number of employers. Also, criminal charges are just one method of enforcement. Fines against employers can also be — and are — levied.

He also posted the percent increase over the previous year.

And fines are not comparable to tearing families apart. In fact, the fines help pay to tear families apart.

Whats insane to me is that plants like these most likely won't be able to operate without an illegal workforce.

For those who don't know there are most likely spots in hell people would rather be than in a "chicken farm/plant". People working there deserve medals not to be deported, a large part of Americas economy relies on this workforce. It is counter productive to our economy to stop it. Hard truth is the doped out legal workforce in Miss. would rather be living on government assistance and shooting poison in theirs arms, then busting there ass for honest pay in one of these places.

Last edited:
Whats insane to me is that plants like these most likely won't be able to operate without an illegal workforce.

For those who don't know there are most likely spots in hell people would rather be than in a "chicken farm/plant". People working there deserve medals not to be deported, a large part of Americas economy relies on this workforce. It is counter productive to our economy to stop it. Hard truth is the doped out legal workforce in Miss. would rather be living on government assistance and shooting poison in theirs arms, then busting there ass for honest pay in one of these places.

I agree with all of this. It wasn't that long ago that uncollected produce rotted all over Alabama because the undocumented workforce was scared away.

I consider myself a moderate. I believe in entitlement reform because I've seen the downside of the current system, but still believe in a safety net to get people back on their feet. If the anti-immigration crowd wasn't purely racist, and were actual conservatives, they would be embracing people who came here simply to work, without a safety net, welfare, access to medicaid, etc. Somehow, they make it here on hard work and strong family support. Meanwhile, we have a bunch of fucking losers acting like they would be CEO of Wells Fargo if it weren't for the illegals holding them back. Fuck them.

Seems that red states make up the bulk of states with highest percentage of citizens on welfare.

I agree the white trash methhead community that votes red in Mississippi would definitely rather stay home and get high on the dole.

As for the bolded have spent a ton of time in meat processing plants throughout the midwest and west coast and the working conditions are not as bad as you describe at all, and there was an almost constant USDA presence onsite. The facilities are heavily regulated in terms of safety and working conditions. The people working on the line that I interacted with were cheerful and liked their jobs. just sayin'

Last edited:
And I gave you one. Is the link not showing up on your screen?

And you ignored counterpoints to your claim it was comparable.

I agree the white trash methhead community that votes red in Mississippi would definitely rather stay home and get high on the dole.

As for the bolded have spent a ton of time in meat processing plants throughout the midwest and west coast and the working conditions are not as bad as you describe at all, and there was an almost constant USDA presence onsite. The facilities are heavily regulated in terms of safety and working conditions. The people working on the line that I interacted with were cheerful and liked their jobs. just sayin'

Who knew WakeandBake was in league with BIG CHICKEN?

Should call you ShakeandBake from now on.

Back