• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Pit Fantasy Football League One - Edarem vs. Wolf in the 'ship

Up Schitt's Creek was none too happy yesterday

Potential Cam Akers revenge game. Look at his game log and he was worthless til about week 11 or 12 and was taking up a valuable roster spot. then, like Gronk, he got good much later on.

Round 1 is in the books:

giphy.gif

Here's what happened:

(1) bernbp5 72.66 – 106.92 (8) Lone Wolf
(4) Up Schitt's Creek 70.34 – 88.39 (5) Fighting Cocks
(3) Barca 96.12 – 38.81 (6) SD3
(2) DEACHAWK 74.78 – 102.82 (7) Edarem

Round 1 Awards
Because there are only 8 teams left (you could make the case that is how big the league should be but I digress), everyone gets their own personal award this week. For some, that is a blessing, for others, a curse. For SD3, maybe it's Maybelline. Here's your Round 1 awards:
  • The "Stop Calling It A Comeback" award goes to Lone Wolf who has transcended the comeback narrative he's been on since Week 8 and instead now has to be taken seriously as a contender for the title. After sweating out a frankly horrible Week 13 loss to hold on to the 8th seed, the Wolf showed it was nothing but a blip as he took down top seeded bernbp5 in dominating fashion behind monster performances from TY Hilton and Miles Sanders. The Wolf also benefited from bern's best player Travis Kelce being dependent on Wolf's own QB, Patrick "The GOAT-in-Waiting" Mahomes, meaning any success bern may get from Kelce would only have half as much impact. Which takes us to our next award...
  • The "Defense Doesn't Win Fantasy Championships" award goes to bernbp5 who, as stated above, was slightly neutered with his best player going up against that player's own QB. Sadly for bern, the rest of his skill players were unable to pick up the slack with dreadful performances up and down his team. The lone bright spot was the Washinton Football Team's defense who just narrowly missed out on outscoring Kelce and more than doubled every other player that played for bern in Round 1. The WFT's defense was young and dynamic this year and capable of putting up monster performances as we just saw, but without the rest of the team coming through when it matters, bern's excellent regular season ended in extreme disappointment with his first round loss.
  • The "Do I Call the Doctor Now?" award goes to Fighting Cocks who has been rock hard four going on four weeks now, surging up the standings over the last few weeks and winning commandingly in Round 1. In a 4/5 matchup that looked like it could be close, the Cocks took an early lead on Sunday behind WRs Tyreek Hill and Calvin Ridley and maintained it through the late games to seal the victory. It wasn't so long ago that Cock Watch saw the most impotent performance of the season but Cocks seems to have taken the little blue fantasy pill and continues to grow in stature. It must be noted though that for as great a performance as Cocks had this week, his failure to insert a defense in his lineup could have spelled disaster. Those are the small details that can deflate any fantasy playoff run, he'll have to keep it tighter going forward.
  • The "You've Been Chopped" award goes to Up Schitt's Creek who let Russ cook and had one of his main ingredients on her roster in DK Metcalf, but fell short (something, something soufflé? There's a joke here, I know it.) as her two Seahawks didn't get enough from the rest of the team. An up and down season from USC that finished strong might have given her reason to believe a playoff run was in the cards, but Russ's cooking can only go so far, at some point the rest of the team has to produce. Unfortunately, she had a similar issue to bern in that her defense was one of her bright spots. A bitter end to a season, but she did win the Pink Helmet Bowl this year though, so not an empty season by any means.
  • The "Taking Care of Business" award goes to Barca who managed to be the only top seed who performed as such in his complete decimation of SD3. The matchup was never in doubt as SD3 had all his cards on the table during the Sunday early slate and those cards were poor to say the least. Barca took a big lead during the Sunday late games and Josh Allen's SNF performance put the cherry on top of this annihilation. After a solid draft, Barca's team took a few weeks to really get going, but he has now won 7 of 8 games and appears to be as strong as ever, a great feeling to have going into Round 2. The other side of the matchup though...
  • The "Dishonor On You, Dishonor On Your Cow!" award goes to SD3. It's one thing to put up a sub-40 in the regular season when there are 12 other games to make it up. It's quite another to do so with everything on the line in the playoffs. SD3 picked a hell of a time to have his worst week of the season and first time scoring under 60 points since Week 3. Zero points from starting WR Devante Parker and a combined 18.35 points from the other 4 starting skill players wasn't even enough to defeat his own bench, let alone Barca. Starting QB Kyler Murray scored more than all other offensive players on SD3's team and thus receives credit for performing under pressure. But everyone else in SD3's lineup is now sentenced to the Bad Place. Making the playoffs in a league of this size and in this year of all years is a commendable accomplishment, but going out in Round 1 like this brings dishonor to us all.
  • The "Jack and the Beanstalk" award goes Edarem, the Giant Slayer himself. And how. Facing any of the top teams in Round 1 is always a nervy affair, there's a reason they are where they are. But few things in life are scarier than facing this DEACHAWK team, one that ran laps around most of the field in the regular season and was coming off a massive performance in Week 13. But this Edarem fellow, he wasn't fazed. He accepted the challenge and fought back and behind the (I can't believe this sentence is real) monster MNF performance from QB Baker Mayfield, Edarem took down the betting favorite DEACHAWK in Round 1. Special mentions to performaces from Cam Akers and the LA Rams defense who put a beating on New England to give Edarem the early lead, but this was the Baker show. Perhaps Baker's best game as a pro and he completely upended the 2020 Pit Playoffs and now Edarem has to be good betting value for a title. But with such a performance, there has to be someone who suffered at its hands...
  • The "Occam's Razor" award goes to DEACHAWK who must feel like this has been the year from hell despite his overwhelming points lead during the regular season. Dak and Joe Burrow both going down with devastating season-ending injuries is one thing, but to have to start two different NY Jets QBs multiple weeks just to plug the holes and STILL have the overall points lead and the 2nd overall seed in the playoffs is frankly amazing. But reliance on anything Jets-related has an expiration date and that date was Round 1. Needing a big performance from Sam Darnold to keep pace with Edarem's Rams-led onslaught, Darnold couldn't get it done and so ended DEACHAWK's adversity-riddled 2020 season. DEACHAWK, you're a quiet assassin and you deserved better from this year considering how insane your draft was. You have brought no dishonor upon anyone, especially yourself. A tip of the cap to you sir.
Round 1 GIFs (because why not...)
bernbp5:
giphy.gif

DEACHAWK:
giphy.gif

Barca:
giphy.gif

Up Schitt's Creek:
giphy.gif

Fighting Cocks:
giphy.gif

SD3:
giphy.gif

Edarem:
giphy.gif

Lone Wolf:
giphy.gif

Round 2 should be exciting with a couple of really fun matchups, good luck to those four teams!

fyi - i intentionally sat the steelers defense. game was over and points for doesn't matter at this point

no biggie. great write up as usual. thanks for putting that effort in

Last edited:
great season. tough to lose early but with Darnold at QB was not expecting much. One week late on Gardner coming back into the lineup.

Thanks to those who dropped Akers and the Rams defense. I couldnt have done it without you.

No write up this week, had to leave town and drive home, dad is in the hospital. Good luck to Edarem and Lone Wolf in the championship, condolences to Cocks and Barca.

Best wishes, Gooner. Stay safe and I hope he recovers quickly

No write up this week, had to leave town and drive home, dad is in the hospital. Good luck to Edarem and Lone Wolf in the championship, condolences to Cocks and Barca.

Damn, same. Tough week. My dad suffered a LAD heart attack and (thankfully) just got discharged yesterday. Best wishes, Gooner.

Best wishes to your dad.

Bad vibes for DaVante Adams who turned in one of his worst games of the year against the fucking Panthers.

Congrats!

Too bad I did so well this week. But still my best finish ever.

giphy.gif

And then there was one. Congratulations to our champion, Edarem, on a well-fought campaign and a deserved title. Just like we thought, the 7 and 8 seeded 7-6 teams that just scraped into the playoffs duked it out in Week 16. There is only one award to give out this week as we take a look at just how Edarem became our new champion:

Title Game Awards
[*]The "Freddie Mercury" award for being the champion and having no time for losers goes to Edarem. This year was a rollercoaster for our dear friend Ed. Sitting at 5-6 and really not having performed at all well in the middle of the season with 5 losses in 7 games, Edarem was on the outside looking in. But just in the nick of time, the schedule opened up with eventual 14th place redwing and 19th place Ph in Weeks 12 and 13, respectively. Two wins later and Ed had done just enough to hold off the chasing pack and sneak his way into the playoffs.

Unfortunately for Ed, awaiting him was the season-long juggernaut, DEACHAWK, but in some ways, this matchup was a blessing. DEACHAWK had had tremendous injury issues all year, and though he was able to patch things up and keep chugging, Week 14 presented him with a horrendous choice of Sam Darnold or Gardner Minshew. As it turned out, neither would have sufficed due to Baker Mayfield giving Edarem his first 100-point week since Week 4 and just like that, Edarem was in the semifinals.

Waiting for Edarem was another stiff test in Barca, probably the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs and the only higher seed to take care of business in Round 1. Having won 7 of 8 and destroying the soul of SD3 and possibly the souls of SD3's future children in Round 1, Barca was flying high and could reasonably have been considered the favorite to win the title. But another 100-point week led by another monster performance from a QB, this time rookie Jalen Hurts, was enough to fend off Barca's Josh Allen-led attack. Suddenly, Ed was in the finals and had to make an emergency call to the equipment team to send his home whites as waiting for him was 8-seed Lone Wolf.

In the finals, the high-flying, beat-'em-down attack disappeared for Edarem and a cagey affair took shape. Scrapping for every point and sweating through each matchup, Edarem took a small lead during the Sunday late slate and that was enough to seal the deal as surprise playoff MVP Jalen Hurts did just enough against the Dallas Cowboys to bring the trophy home to Edarem. My sincerest congratulations to you, Edarem, for winning the title and making sure that I can say that I beat the champ this year (please don't relegate me).

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday and that you all have a very happy new year (fuck 2020). Keep staying positive, keep testing negative, and we will see you all again next summer for the 2021 fantasy season!

Thanks for running this show Gooner, I know everyone really appreciated all the work you put in this season!

Stepped away for a few weeks and missed Gooner's closing. Lightning in a bottle. Glad to join the ranks of league champs. It was a nice consolation after losing the championship in my money league by .34 pts.

My first act as league champ is to put an end to all the nonsense talk about condensing this to two 10 team leagues. 20 teams is where its at and its how HTTD would want things to remain. RIP.

Back