• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

I haven't been in a hurry to fire Manning like so many are. On a sports radio show today heard a discussion about the massive rebellion brewing in Tallahassee about Willie Taggart's failure to show any signs of a turnaround in FSU football. And my first reaction was, yea it was a bad hire, get rid of him. The same thing happened to Miami football hiring MarK Richt. Then I paused and wondered if I could have made those decisions. Nah, at least not well. It's very easy to critique from afar and very hard to decide to cut the cord on a major hire like those, or WFU basketball, without any guarantees of a solution. That's the problem. No guarantees. I'm definitely leaning toward replacing Manning if there aren't any signs of real change in our program this season. 5 years should be enough to establish a positive direction. But I'm not at all convinced that any of the replacement names that have ever shown up in our board discussions are guarantees of greater success. I think we suffer from many obstacles in addition to "poor coaching". Our best run of recruiting under Skip Prosser never produced more than a couple of ACC regular season successes. We should be careful to remember that aside from UNC, Duke, and UVA of the last 6-8 years no team in the ACC has sustained success. You can argue about FSU, Miami and VT having some improvement, but VT and Miami were blips based on recruiting, and FSU has taken well over a decade to get to their level. Somehow we've got to establish some level of stability that we can build on. It's not easy to achieve, let alone maintain, a high success level in any Power 5 major sport. Ask the SC Trojans, ND football, Michigan football, Syracuse basketball, Md basketball, Arizona basketball, UCLA basketball, Texas football, Tennessee football, and many more. Fire 'em and then hire 'em doesn't guarantee anything even if you have a pedigree.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo...
your take is that, because success is not a given in any situation, there's no reason to ever fire a shit coach because a successful replacement isn't guaranteed to be hired so no one should bother.
Because that's what your text wall leaves one concluding.

And that's definitely not a successful conclusion.

I’d rather go for a 5% or 10% chance at success than a 100% chance of failure. Manning out.

The only thing you have to lose by getting rid of Manning is money. Any coach in America can match his record.

I haven't been in a hurry to fire Manning like so many are. On a sports radio show today heard a discussion about the massive rebellion brewing in Tallahassee about Willie Taggart's failure to show any signs of a turnaround in FSU football. And my first reaction was, yea it was a bad hire, get rid of him. The same thing happened to Miami football hiring MarK Richt. Then I paused and wondered if I could have made those decisions. Nah, at least not well. It's very easy to critique from afar and very hard to decide to cut the cord on a major hire like those, or WFU basketball, without any guarantees of a solution. That's the problem. No guarantees. I'm definitely leaning toward replacing Manning if there aren't any signs of real change in our program this season. 5 years should be enough to establish a positive direction. But I'm not at all convinced that any of the replacement names that have ever shown up in our board discussions are guarantees of greater success. I think we suffer from many obstacles in addition to "poor coaching". Our best run of recruiting under Skip Prosser never produced more than a couple of ACC regular season successes. We should be careful to remember that aside from UNC, Duke, and UVA of the last 6-8 years no team in the ACC has sustained success. You can argue about FSU, Miami and VT having some improvement, but VT and Miami were blips based on recruiting, and FSU has taken well over a decade to get to their level. Somehow we've got to establish some level of stability that we can build on. It's not easy to achieve, let alone maintain, a high success level in any Power 5 major sport. Ask the SC Trojans, ND football, Michigan football, Syracuse basketball, Md basketball, Arizona basketball, UCLA basketball, Texas football, Tennessee football, and many more. Fire 'em and then hire 'em doesn't guarantee anything even if you have a pedigree.

Let me be the next to jump all over the Fusiondad10 hot take, pointing out that Mark Richt went 9-4 his first year at Miami, 10-4 his second year with an ACCCG and Orange Bowl appearance, and 7-6 his third year.

It was one thing to show some patience when Manning got Wake into the NCAA Tournament (even if just barely) and he seemed to be developing players (Collins, Moore)and recruiting (Sarr, Hoard et al). None of that is happening. Players don't look like they are improving, recruiting is outside top 100 and historic numbers of losses are in the record books.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. It's time to do something different. Like get a new basketball coaching staff.

It was one thing to show some patience when Manning got Wake into the NCAA Tournament (even if just barely) and he seemed to be developing players (Collins, Moore)and recruiting (Sarr, Hoard et al). None of that is happening. Players don't look like they are improving, recruiting is outside top 100 and historic numbers of losses are in the record books.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. It's time to do something different. Like get a new basketball coaching staff.

I'm not a fan of Manning, but I'm not sure that's a fair statement. The three returning players we had last year (Childress, Chaundee, and Sarr) have all shown improvement during their time at Wake. Part of it may be an increased role, but their efficiency and advanced metrics also improved. A bigger problem is all the attrition and the horrible recruiting - even strong improvements by those three aren't enough to save the team from being surrounded by garbage coaching and subpar teammates (note - I like Sharone, and Hoard obviously was an above-average player, despite all his faults).

A guy Danny offered just committed to App State:

Manning's prior relationship may give him the inside track on this recruit if he ends up entering the transfer portal in a few years.

Seriously though - and maybe I have not been paying attention - is there A SINGLE POSTER who is on the record as believing Manning can get Wake into the top levels of the ACC?

I am pretty sure we are all at the bedside of our dying Uncle, not particularly beloved - in fact, he borrowed money from each member of the family to invest in a fleet of Korean Taco trucks in Des Moines and Ames Iowa, and big shocker, it appears to have all gone belly up. Now, we are just waiting for his demise so that we can circle back around to see if we can get back any of the money he owed each of us.

In an ideal world, neither of these things are necessary or happening.
In an ideal world, neither of these things are necessary or happening *for us at Wake Forest.*

If we get our ideal world, we shouldn't be such dicks about the Eads kid, if he so chose, going to play for Manning wherever Manning winds up as an assistant coach.

Mind you, if it does happen here, we got wayyyyy bigger problems than we do now.

Last edited:
Seriously though - and maybe I have not been paying attention - is there A SINGLE POSTER who is on the record as believing Manning can get Wake into the top levels of the ACC?

I am pretty sure we are all at the bedside of our dying Uncle, not particularly beloved - in fact, he borrowed money from each member of the family to invest in a fleet of Korean Taco trucks in Des Moines and Ames Iowa, and big shocker, it appears to have all gone belly up. Now, we are just waiting for his demise so that we can circle back around to see if we can get back any of the money he owed each of us.

Besides Fusion?

To be fair, the kid also had offers from Nevada and OK State. He said he liked the atmosphere in Boone. Guess he's just not into country club casual.

Surprised his father's alma mater (KY) isn't slated for a visit.

It would be somewhat ironic (or karma) if he came to Wake and helped Wake beat KY, considering KY put a massive beatdown on a pretty good Wake team in the early 90's.

Surprised his father's alma mater (KY) isn't slated for a visit.

It would be somewhat ironic (or karma) if he came to Wake and helped Wake beat KY, considering KY put a massive beatdown on a pretty good Wake team in the early 90's.

So we're the last visit? That's an interesting mix of schools. My assumption is that he may have already been to Lexington on so many unofficial visits he doesn't need to go back and waste an official.

We were in the mix to get his dad before senior chose KY.

Back