• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

So we're the last visit? That's an interesting mix of schools. My assumption is that he may have already been to Lexington on so many unofficial visits he doesn't need to go back and waste an official.

He has 18 offers I can see. None from KY. And it is an odd mix. Including Yale, Brown, Penn .... and Louisville!

Mashburn and Pitino are very tight. They own many businesses together. No way this kid even visits Kentucky.

I could see him going to Minnesota to play for Richard Pitino.

So Pitino’s record will show he resigned.

Good enough for me.

Let’s hire him.

Mashburn and Pitino are very tight. They own many businesses together. No way this kid even visits Kentucky.

I could see him going to Minnesota to play for Richard Pitino.

Minnesota was a slight lean on what I saw. I was wondering why, but I didn't know the Pitino -Mashburn senior relationship was that tight. Makes sense now.

ETA:

With his Minnesota visit in early October, he may not get to Wake for Halloween. More likely, just mischief night.

Last edited:
After the first season it was apparent the only possible upside with Manning might be recruiting, well that ship has sailed and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. We got a guy with these offers...George Mason, Princeton, Rice, UNC-G, VCU, Wofford Facepalm

This is what happens when you give a guy a huge guarantee. You can basically give up on recruiting (and everything else) and still get paid.

I do find it funny that half the board was stroking it (at one time or another) about landing the hot coach of the moment from many of these mid-major programs...but we wouldn't want anything to do with any of their recruits. A lower-tier coach coming here is buoyed in their recruiting efforts by the fact that we're in the ACC, but a lower-tier recruit is probably going to be put at a disadvantage by the higher level of competition.

I'm scared about the future

This is what happens when you give a guy a huge guarantee. You can basically give up on recruiting (and everything else) and still get paid.

I do find it funny that half the board was stroking it (at one time or another) about landing the hot coach of the moment from many of these mid-major programs...but we wouldn't want anything to do with any of their recruits. A lower-tier coach coming here is buoyed in their recruiting efforts by the fact that we're in the ACC, but a lower-tier recruit is probably going to be put at a disadvantage by the higher level of competition.

I'm scared about the future

When he arrived at Wake, he wasn't some random "hot" mid-major coach. He was a coach who also had spent a decade recruiting top 100 talent at Kansas. His two pretty successful years at Tulsa made it look like he was ready to run his own program in a tougher league.

Unfortunately, nothing in his background has led to success at Wake. The indicators pointed to success, but except for a few brief flashes, success has not happened.

I suspect that in the recruiting world, Danny hasn't understood the difference between selecting top 100 players to go to a blue blood like Kansas and having to work really hard to get that level of recruit to come to Wake. It is a task to convince a high level guy that Wake is the place for him. Danny has mostly failed at that task.

When he arrived at Wake, he wasn't some random "hot" mid-major coach. He was a coach who also had spent a decade recruiting top 100 talent at Kansas. His two pretty successful years at Tulsa made it look like he was ready to run his own program in a tougher league.

Unfortunately, nothing in his background has led to success at Wake. The indicators pointed to success, but except for a few brief flashes, success has not happened.

I suspect that in the recruiting world, Danny hasn't understood the difference between selecting top 100 players to go to a blue blood like Kansas and having to work really hard to get that level of recruit to come to Wake. It is a task to convince a high level guy that Wake is the place for him. Danny has mostly failed at that task.

I didn't mean Danny in my second sentence (I don't recall much of the board being excited about Manning, or even that he was a hot coach of the moment), I was more referring to the schools listed in our recruit's other offers and the fact that people want / have wanted some of those coaches (VCU - we wanted Shaka, UNC G - people wanted/want Wes Miller, Wofford - some people were saying that coach's name before he went to VTech, George Mason - people wanted Larranga etc). But I agree with you on your point about failing to convince many Top 100 players to come here. It's a tall task but these random other schools seem to be able to do it... every year there is a random ass school with tons of great recruits. Georgia comes to mind as a random place I wouldn't have expected to have a Top 10 class coming in.

Except that they hired Tom Crean and are in a honeymoon period.

I didn't mean Danny in my second sentence (I don't recall much of the board being excited about Manning, or even that he was a hot coach of the moment), I was more referring to the schools listed in our recruit's other offers and the fact that people want / have wanted some of those coaches (VCU - we wanted Shaka, UNC G - people wanted/want Wes Miller, Wofford - some people were saying that coach's name before he went to VTech, George Mason - people wanted Larranga etc). But I agree with you on your point about failing to convince many Top 100 players to come here. It's a tall task but these random other schools seem to be able to do it... every year there is a random ass school with tons of great recruits. Georgia comes to mind as a random place I wouldn't have expected to have a Top 10 class coming in.

Manning's problem is not recruiting. He had a decent number of guys come through that are being payed to play.

He just can't coach a lick and now that people know this, he can no longer recruit anyone.

Manning's problem is not recruiting. He had a decent number of guys come through that are being payed to play.

He just can't coach a lick and now that people know this, he can no longer recruit anyone.

Stripped away of all of the over-the-top meanness, anger and criticism. This is a fair assessment of the current state of the basketball program. Over his time at WF, Manning hasn't been a terrible recruiter, but the lack of on court success has now made it harder to recruit. Undeniable.

During Bennett's first few years at UVA, he recruited on a low level, but because Bennett maximized the limited talent on hand, they were competitive; then because they were competitive, the program started drawing more talented players. WF has the had the opposite approach and regression resulted.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Mashburn will ever take his Wake visit, IMO he will commit on his visit to Minnesota

Yeah, this isn't really true.

It was well known that he didn't play a big role in recruiting at Kansas, and his time at Tulsa was nothing particularly special given the stature of that program. We hired him off of his name, his rep as a good developer as an assistant, and half of a season at Tulsa.

It was well known that he didn't play a big role in recruiting at Kansas, and his time at Tulsa was nothing particularly special given the stature of that program. We hired him off of his name, his rep as a good developer as an assistant, and half of a season at Tulsa.
Yeah, there were plenty of us who looked at his creds and questioned if he was ready. The folks who thought he was ready were likely just responding out of blind joy for [Redacted] being gone

Exactly. He seriously did look like a guy that might well blow up either next season or the one after. And, had that happened, Manning might've risen up out of our reach to get later. There really was a feeling/belief out there that we possibly "stole" one by getting Manning early.
I actually DON'T blame Wellman for taking that gamble.

I DO blame him for becoming stubbornly stupid by standing by his bet and doubling down on it after receiving one weak, minor payoff in that First Four appearance.

Last edited:
I still have nightmares of his dad absolutely abusing us in the NCAA's. I think we were down by 30 in the first half.

Back