• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Danny wants to corner the market on small combo guards.

Exactly. He seriously did look like a guy that might well blow up either next season or the one after. And, had that happened, Manning might've risen up out of our reach to get later. There really was a feeling/belief out there that we possibly "stole" one by getting Manning early.
I actually DON'T blame Wellman for taking that gamble.

I DO blame him for becoming stubbornly stupid by standing by his bet and doubling down on it after receiving one weak, minor payoff in that First Four appearance.

Eh... that doesn't really match w/ my recollection. If people thought that Manning would be out of our reach after 17, 21, ~25 wins at Tulsa then I think they are probably wrong. I doubt he would have been in line for bigger jobs at that point unless he did something special in the tournament in theoretical year 3.

Eh... that doesn't really match w/ my recollection. If people thought that Manning would be out of our reach after 17, 21, ~25 wins at Tulsa then I think they are probably wrong. I doubt he would have been in line for bigger jobs at that point unless he did something special in the tournament in theoretical year 3.
This.

When he arrived at Wake, he wasn't some random "hot" mid-major coach. He was a coach who also had spent a decade recruiting top 100 talent at Kansas. His two pretty successful years at Tulsa made it look like he was ready to run his own program in a tougher league.

Unfortunately, nothing in his background has led to success at Wake. The indicators pointed to success, but except for a few brief flashes, success has not happened.

I suspect that in the recruiting world, Danny hasn't understood the difference between selecting top 100 players to go to a blue blood like Kansas and having to work really hard to get that level of recruit to come to Wake. It is a task to convince a high level guy that Wake is the place for him. Danny has mostly failed at that task.

I want to add another "this is not true" to the pile. I did a deep dive into Manning's recruiting in one of the early Manning recruiting threads if somebody wants to dig it up, but Danny Manning was always a questionable hire from a recruiting perspective.

Deaconblue, why did you even bother posting this? None of it is true.

I want to add another "this is not true" to the pile. I did a deep dive into Manning's recruiting in one of the early Manning recruiting threads if somebody wants to dig it up, but Danny Manning was always a questionable hire from a recruiting perspective.

Deaconblue, why did you even bother posting this? None of it is true.

I was one of the first to bring up Manning's name here after {redacted} was canned. My recollection is the response was more a collective yawn than outright disapproval or cautious optimism.

I was one of the first to bring up Manning's name here after {redacted} was canned. My recollection is the response was more a collective yawn than outright disapproval or cautious optimism.

So this is all your fault? You gave Wellman this idea.

Lifetime ban.

So this is all your fault? You gave Wellman this idea.

Lifetime ban.

Haven't the last 5 years of Wake BB been punishment enough? And besides, when did Wellman ever take advice from a non-member of the Deacon Club?

Haven't the last 5 years of Wake BB been punishment enough? And besides, when did Wellman ever take advice from a non-member of the Deacon Club?

True that. Nathan Hatch likely sowed that wild seed in Ronnie.

Danny's most glaring deficiency is a lack of charisma/energy/extroversion. This prevents him from: selling the program to big recruits, exciting the fanbase, accurately teaching players and motivating an under-talented team into winning.

Danny's most glaring deficiency is a lack of charisma/energy/extroversion. This prevents him from: selling the program to big recruits, exciting the fanbase, accurately teaching players and motivating an under-talented team into winning.

Most good coaches are good salesmen. They are extroverted and love being in front of the mic to promote the program and players. Danny is not that guy. He is a good assistant but does not have the personality to promote a winning environment as head coach that is for sure.

I don’t know. I don’t think Dean, K, or Bennett are big time extroverts. Plenty others too. There are different styles.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Quadry Adams (G) Commits; Watson/Bailey/Gibson make 4

Right, I’d like it if he could sell the program more, but if he could convey useful information to his players, even in his boring fashion, that would be enough for me. His most glaring deficiency is that he cannot do that.

Right, I’d like it if he could sell the program more, but if he could convey useful information to his players, even in his boring fashion, that would be enough for me. His most glaring deficiency is that he cannot coach.

FIFY

Back