• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Others have pointed this out and I haven’t bothered to research so it seems true. Our offers seem heavily concentrated in the Top 50 and 150-300. We’ve gotten some guys in the middle but we recruit more top 50 guys than we should and way more low ranked guys earlier in the game.

Others have pointed this out and I haven’t bothered to research so it seems true. Our offers seem heavily concentrated in the Top 50 and 150-300. We’ve gotten some guys in the middle but we recruit more top 50 guys than we should and way more low ranked guys earlier in the game.

I’m not saying I agree with the strategy. I’m just saying I don’t think he’s not trying. I see plenty of offers and hear that they are out watching players.

But I guess it’s splitting hairs. I have no reason to try to defend the staff. The reasons don’t matter anymore. It’s a failure.

They're doing the bare minimum. What are they going to do? Not travel around the country on MSD's dime?

OMG, that's incredibly awful.

Rating: N/A

EF4YybjXoAE-o-a

the team average actually overrates artificially bc the last guy doesn’t even rank highly enough to have a rating and they just excluded N/A from the calculation

They're doing the bare minimum. What are they going to do? Not travel around the country on MSD's dime?

Maybe, but I'm not sure you or I have any way of confirming this is true. I'd have to be pretty close to the situation to judge if someone is just going through the motions.

The # of offers on 24/7 is at or above where it has always been and there are plenty of players in the Top 50, Top 100, Top 150, and beyond. It doesn't seem to skew any differently than in past years.

To me, it feels like the Top 50 offers are silly because I don't expect him to land any of those players... But he has in the past. He probably doesn't view it as any different this recruiting cycle. He does seem to come off as stubborn, at times... So maybe he really doesn't see a problem.

Maybe, but I'm not sure you or I have any way of confirming this is true. I'd have to be pretty close to the situation to judge if someone is just going through the motions.

The # of offers on 24/7 is at or above where it has always been and there are plenty of players in the Top 50, Top 100, Top 150, and beyond. It doesn't seem to skew any differently than in past years.

To me, it feels like the Top 50 offers are silly because I don't expect him to land any of those players... But he has in the past. He probably doesn't view it as any different this recruiting cycle. He does seem to come off as stubborn, at times... So maybe he really doesn't see a problem.

I guess he’s doing all he can then !

I guess he’s doing all he can then !

He has failed. I'll stop. For some reason, I guess it rustles my jimmies when people seem to blindly criticize everything instead of focusing on what truly sucks.

But the end result is the same... We need to move on.

The issue for me is how early we are accepting verbals from what should be desperation recruits.

What the offers list doesn't show is how the coaches use their time showing offered guys attention. Which ones are getting phone calls, texts, etc? The staff has only so much time. Are the using it wisely?

The issue for me is how early we are accepting verbals from what should be desperation recruits.
Which is the point. If they were putting in the work, they'd be going after the 50-150 guys hard until they signed. The guys who are just happy to have an offer from a school that doesn't require them to wash their own uniforms will still be there later.

Getting smashed by Boston College on the recruiting trail. Nice.

Getting smashed by Boston College on the recruiting trail. Nice.

By everybody. The FSU N/A is a JUCO with several good offers. Our recruiting is basically in a bottom tier by ourselves.

There is no recruiting pitch available.

Come to Wake. The coaching sucks. There is no way to know who will be coaching you by the time you graduate but, hey, it's D1 ball and who else is offering you?

There may be a better way to spin it but that's what you have to sell.

Blame Wellman. Nobody could recruit to a proven bad coach who will be let go as soon as those in charge feel like the numbers work.

There is no recruiting pitch available.

Come to Wake. The coaching sucks. There is no way to know who will be coaching you by the time you graduate but, hey, it's D1 ball and who else is offering you?

There may be a better way to spin it but that's what you have to sell.

Blame Wellman. Nobody could recruit to a proven bad coach who will be let go as soon as those in charge feel like the numbers work.

We do have that amazing new facility. I was lucky enough to get a tour of it and it is really impressive, but our dud of a head coach can't even use it to recruit.

We do have that amazing new facility. I was lucky enough to get a tour of it and it is really impressive, but our dud of a head coach can't even use it to recruit.

Once there is a new head coach, there should be a big recruiting weekend re-grand opening of the basketball portion of the facility.

What the offers list doesn't show is how the coaches use their time showing offered guys attention. Which ones are getting phone calls, texts, etc? The staff has only so much time. Are the using it wisely?

Old business axiom: "Don't confuse efforts with results".

Old business axiom: "Don't confuse efforts with results".

Effort needs to be focused on areas and recruits that optimize the reward for effort expended. Put the most recruiting effort into wooing the best guys who are likely to come to Wake. Put less effort into guys less likely to come to Wake and guys who are less likely to be big contributors if they come to Wake.

Wake has (in the past) significant success recruiting guys in the 50 - 150 range. With a steady pipeline of guys at those levels, big pushes into the top 25 guys don't hurt so much. Even success in getting top 25 players doesn't always guarantee success (e.g. AT&T class).

Back