• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Congrats to Manning on putting together a top 25 nationally ranked recruiting class.

Updated first post... Sticky?

My two immediate thoughts:

1- This is a quality commit at a time when I didn't think Manning would be able to bring anyone in. He's not a top 100 guy, but he's gone from 300+ to Top 150 in the last couple of months. It's also noteworthy that he comes from Ayo's Morgan Park HS in Chicago, so you have to think we were on him early when we were recruiting Ayo. Nice to see that pay off.
2- This is kind of like Massoud in 2019, in that he's the only notable recruit we're bringing in. It is going to put a lot of pressure on Watson to be a contributor from day one when he may not be that kind of a player.

And the obvious... 99% of us are hoping that Manning will not be the coach in 2020-21. So you have to wonder what happens here if/when he's fired.

From what I could gather from various sources, Quadry Adams will visit in early Sept, probably the 6th-7th and Cam Hayes in late September with the 20th being the likely date. Marcus Watson a 6'1 155 PG from Chicago will visit Oct 4-5th. With 2 ships evidently open still for 2020, I look for Adams to likely take one of them and the other to be between Hayes and Watson, whichever commit first I would imagine

Props to sportsnut, as this came out of nowhere.

I like this commit for several reasons.

1. He is a tough competitor, as they tend to be, coming from Chicago
2. His quickness has been noted by everybody in scouting (and hence his rise in the rankings) He is quick on quick
3. Led the whole EYBL in assists at nearly 10 per game, prototypical true point guard
4. Played with Mac Irvin Fire one of the habitually most successful programs in the EYBL
5. This is a breakthrough for us in the Chicago recruiting area and Illinois thought they had him locked up

I have to think this commit was due to Rex Walters as he played at Northwestern before transferring to Kansas and has lots of contacts up there, both in Chicago and with Mac Irvin Fire ( I think he is going to be a very valuable addition to the coaching staff for however long they are here) With Adams likely to commit on his visit, this probably closes the door on our chances with Cam Hayes. If Adams does commit (and I expect him to) the backcourt will have a speed demon and distributor at PG and a very good shooter and athletic kid at the 2G. Question will be can Manning put together a coherent plan of offense and defense to take advantage of them? The jury is still out on that but history does not give us reason to be overly optimistic.

Updated first post... Sticky?

My two immediate thoughts:

1- This is a quality commit at a time when I didn't think Manning would be able to bring anyone in. He's not a top 100 guy, but he's gone from 300+ to Top 150 in the last couple of months. It's also noteworthy that he comes from Ayo's Morgan Park HS in Chicago, so you have to think we were on him early when we were recruiting Ayo. Nice to see that pay off.
2- This is kind of like Massoud in 2019, in that he's the only notable recruit we're bringing in. It is going to put a lot of pressure on Watson to be a contributor from day one when he may not be that kind of a player.

And the obvious... 99% of us are hoping that Manning will not be the coach in 2020-21. So you have to wonder what happens here if/when he's fired.

Morgan Park is where Torry Johnson's dad works too. Star of that team is Adam Miller, top 30 player. Overall not a bad commit since Digimon Adventure was no PG of the future. He will need to become a better free throw shooter and 3 point shooter, as he only shot 60% from the free throw line and 21% from 3 in EYBL this year.

Morgan Park is where Torry Johnson's dad works too. Star of that team is Adam Miller, top 30 player. Overall not a bad commit since Digimon Adventure was no PG of the future. He will need to become a better free throw shooter and 3 point shooter, as he only shot 60% from the free throw line and 21% from 3 in EYBL this year.

remember - ish couldn't shoot either his first few years (and arguably all 4 years) but we'd all take him again

No one on our projected roster (or current roster) can shoot. No reason to lay off the PG to guard someone else.

WELCOME TO WAKE MARK JACKSON JR!!!! MANNING"S NBA CONNECTIONS PAY OFF AGAIN

Interesting offer list for a "top 20" PG. He's either on the rise and going to be hard to hang onto as others take notice, or there's something about his game that coaches are picking up on that the ratings folks aren't. Based on the articles above, it sounds like it may be the former.

Offer List:
Wake - 174
Chicago State - 351
Illinois - 84
Oakland - 187
Valpo - 220
Wiconson-Green Bay - 185

No one on our projected roster (or current roster) can shoot. No reason to lay off the PG to guard someone else.

You are horribly misinformed. Massoud is an elite shooter from all accounts, plus White and Brandon can shoot reasonably well.

[FONT=&]Interesting offer list for a "top 20" PG. He's either on the rise and going to be hard to hang onto as others take notice, or there's something about his game that coaches are picking up on that the ratings folks aren't. Based on the articles above, it sounds like it may be the former.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]
Offer List:
Wake - 174
Chicago State - 351
Illinois - 84
Oakland - 187
Valpo - 220
Wiconson-Green Bay - 185[/FONT]

Yes it is an eclectic list for sure but he is on the rise and others could still jump in before he signs his LOI, we shall see.

[FONT=&]Interesting offer list for a "top 20" PG. He's either on the rise and going to be hard to hang onto as others take notice, or there's something about his game that coaches are picking up on that the ratings folks aren't. Based on the articles above, it sounds like it may be the former.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]
Offer List:
Wake - 174
Chicago State - 351
Illinois - 84
Oakland - 187
Valpo - 220
Wiconson-Green Bay - 185[/FONT]

He's on the rise. Was 300+ just a couple of months ago. No idea what that means in terms of his actual skill level or what it says about recruiting rankings, but that's a fact.

His offer list is that of a guy ranked 300 and that won't really change since he has committed to Wake now.

I like this commit for several reasons.

1. He is a tough competitor, as they tend to be, coming from Chicago
2. His quickness has been noted by everybody in scouting (and hence his rise in the rankings) He is quick on quick
3. Led the whole EYBL in assists at nearly 10 per game, prototypical true point guard
4. Played with Mac Irvin Fire one of the habitually most successful programs in the EYBL
5. This is a breakthrough for us in the Chicago recruiting area and Illinois thought they had him locked up

I have to think this commit was due to Rex Walters as he played at Northwestern before transferring to Kansas and has lots of contacts up there, both in Chicago and with Mac Irvin Fire ( I think he is going to be a very valuable addition to the coaching staff for however long they are here) With Adams likely to commit on his visit, this probably closes the door on our chances with Cam Hayes. If Adams does commit (and I expect him to) the backcourt will have a speed demon and distributor at PG and a very good shooter and athletic kid at the 2G. Question will be can Manning put together a coherent plan of offense and defense to take advantage of them? The jury is still out on that but history does not give us reason to be overly optimistic.

I kinda like this commit. His tapes have a Taron Downey feel and looks to be an excellent passer (although we need to find some front court talent for him to pass to). Has to be a tough "street fighter" to survive/thrive on the playgrounds of Chicago.

Back