• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Speaking of Massoud, Les saw a practice recently and was blown away by him. He was hitting shots from everywhere. He was shocked by how well he played. Could be a real impact player.

I said something similar months ago and got shit for it - I suppose because a lot of us want us to suck so bad next year that even the idea of frosh gold is off-putting. Not sure. We should be okay on regime change even if Massoud is gold. He'll be a frosh and we have yet to see Manning coach himself out of a paper bag.

So do people think Massoud is going to be better than Hoard or every other decent player under Manning who played on 11 win teams?

So do people think Massoud is going to be better than Hoard or every other decent player under Manning who played on 11 win teams?

No.

But I don't think you can predict this season's W/L by just taking 11 as a baseline, subtracting Hoard and adding Massoud to come up with a lower number.

I do agree that Massoud would have to be pretty damn special to overcome Manning's coaching deficiencies, though.

My biggest concerns for this upcoming season (and there are many, even forgetting about Manning) are Chaundee's health and our lack of size/strength in the frontcourt.

Better than Hoard but not as good as Collins. Also, at least a 3-year player. The kid is tough. And can shoot from outside. Hoard was soft, and couldn't shoot from outside. Since Manning can't coach to work harder than they naturally work - he has little to no motivation skills - the fact that Massoud's motor seems to be as close to elite as we've had since Collins walked out the door will provide a lot of help early IMO.

Better than Hoard but not as good as Collins. Also, at least a 3-year player. The kid is tough. And can shoot from outside. Hoard was soft, and couldn't shoot from outside. Since Manning can't coach to work harder than they naturally work - he has little to no motivation skills - the fact that Massoud's motor seems to be as close to elite as we've had since Collins walked out the door will provide a lot of help early IMO.

Wow. Very lofty expectations.

No.

But I don't think you can predict this season's W/L by just taking 11 as a baseline, subtracting Hoard and adding Massoud to come up with a lower number.

I do agree that Massoud would have to be pretty damn special to overcome Manning's coaching deficiencies, though.

My biggest concerns for this upcoming season (and there are many, even forgetting about Manning) are Chaundee's health and our lack of size/strength in the frontcourt.

Manning has won 11 games in 3 of his 5 seasons. That's a baseline especially since he did that with much more talented teams.

Wow. Very lofty expectations.

Yeah. Apparently Massoud is going to be better than our most productive freshman under Manning.

It seems some may be coming around to Massoud being a Top 50 or better talent.

If he is a top 50 or better talent, he'll be gone after next season.

Maybe he can be as good as Travis McKie!

It's not just Massoud for Hoard. WF returns 4 starters and adds Andrien White who is 22, can shoot and has already scored over 1,000 points in his college basketball career.

It's also that almost every ACC team lost a lot more than WF did last year. The conference will not be as strong as last year.

Understand that there is very little reason for optimism about the basketball program given the last decade, and have every reason to expect that WF will find maddening ways to blow winnable games because that's has been Manning's MO, but barring injury or another murder by a member of the coaching staff, this team is better relative to the conference and the schedule than any Manning team except for the 2016-7 NCAA play-in team. The team will win more than 11 games, but not as many as it should.

If he is a top 50 or better talent, he'll be gone after next season.

Maybe he can be as good as Travis McKie!

This reminds me of when Redacted was rubbing Tyler Cavanaugh on the back and telling him he is just as good as Ryan Kelly. Dream big, coach!

If watch Massoud's tapes, you see his excellent court vision, a silky smooth shot, good handles for a 6'8(6'9) guy, nice passing and good footwork. He's a natural SG, but today SG/SF is basically the same position. He can play D and is very smart.

i'd be pumped for Massoud if the rest of the team didn't stink

Possibly our worst collection of big men since the 80's?

Possibly our worst collection of big men since the 80's?

We've got Sarr, Okeke, Oguama and Ingrahm for the 4 and 5 spots...but don't worry, Massoud will lead us to 12 wins!

We've got Sarr, Okeke, Oguama and Ingrahm for the 4 and 5 spots...but don't worry, Massoud will lead us to 12 wins!

That's so much better than Kitley, Medlin, Wise, it's not even funny.

This reminds me of when Redacted was rubbing Tyler Cavanaugh on the back and telling him he is just as good as Ryan Kelly. Dream big, coach!

The funny thing about this is that they ultimately ended up pretty similar. Kelly has been out of the NBA for a few years and plays in Spain. Cavanaugh just signed with a team in Germany.

I'm not hung up on win totals... The team could very well be better this year, but the schedule looks tougher (largely due to the additional ACC games and less cupcakes).

The nightmare scenario is a slightly better team that is still objectively shitty, but somehow Manning hangs on another year because progress (and contract).

Back