• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Fixed your fix.

It doesn't take that long in basketball. Add Dave Odom's first recruiting class to what Wake has in non-graduating players, give them good coaching and you have a mid tier ACC team.

It doesn't take that long in basketball. Add Dave Odom's first recruiting class to what Wake has in non-graduating players, give them good coaching and you have a mid tier ACC team.

This. Hell you could add Danny Manning's first full class and good coaching and you'd have a mid-tier ACC team.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Commits - Watson/Bailey/Gibson/Adams

No sweat, just get a class with similar players to Rodney Rogers, Randolph Childress and trelonnie Owens after this ten year debacle and we’ll be fine.
We need rick pitino to tell us that “ Randolph ain’t walking through that door”

No sweat, just get a class with similar players to Rodney Rogers, Randolph Childress and trelonnie Owens after this ten year debacle and we’ll be fine.
We need rick pitino to tell us that “ Randolph ain’t walking through that door”

Wake got those guys following the Staak years. Without anything like the facilities Wake now has.

A good coach should have had Manning's 2nd team in the NCAA tournament. It doesn't have to take long.

I advise patience with a new coach. It will take three years to cycle out all the bad scholarships that Manning has given out. We have several played ranked over 300 on scholarship. We need to give a new coach 2 season the right the ship and we should expect results in season 3 and 4.

I advise patience with a new coach. It will take three years to cycle out all the bad scholarships that Manning has given out. We have several played ranked over 300 on scholarship. We need to give a new coach 2 season the right the ship and we should expect results in season 3 and 4.

Yes, no doubt. But it is also easy to spot a well coached team if you know basketball. Good defensive rotations. Ball movement and player movement on offense. Situational awareness. Substitution patterns. Results won’t matter for a few years, but it would nice to see signs of good coaching. In Manning’s lone “successful” season, you could see the struggle between talent and poor coaching. Sometimes talent overcame, too often it did not.

Yes, no doubt. But it is also easy to spot a well coached team if you know basketball. Good defensive rotations. Ball movement and player movement on offense. Situational awareness. Substitution patterns. Results won’t matter for a few years, but it would nice to see signs of good coaching. In Manning’s lone “successful” season, you could see the struggle between talent and poor coaching. Sometimes talent overcame, too often it did not.

I completely agree. Watching someone like Chris Mack at Xavier, it was clear how good of a coach he was. Other examples aren’t as obvious throughout the year, but couldn’t agree more that seeing the gaps between coaching and talent overall is pretty easy to spot. Letting Mack go to Louisville was almost as bad as hiring DM in the first place. We should have done whatever it took to get him here.

This may be unpopular but if somehow Currie grows a pair and ends the Mannikin nightmare early, with little other choice, I would love to see Randolph's passion unleashed with the young guys for the remainder of the season. I respect Ernie but Randolph has been a good Deacon soldier, yes part of the problem, but it would be great to help his future chances if he stays in coaching. DM is the taint, the radioactive slag heap we endure.

This may be unpopular but if somehow Currie grows a pair and ends the Mannikin nightmare early, with little other choice, I would love to see Randolph's passion unleashed with the young guys for the remainder of the season. I respect Ernie but Randolph has been a good Deacon soldier, yes part of the problem, but it would be great to help his future chances if he stays in coaching. DM is the taint, the radioactive slag heap we endure.

Randolph. Has. Been. On. The. Bench. Since. 2012.

Stahp

If and when a coaching change is made, the entire basketball staff needs to go. Leave no trace of anyone connected with Wake basketball in the past ten years.

Wake got those guys following the Staak years. Without anything like the facilities Wake now has.

FWIW Rodney's freshman season was the unveiling of the Joel.....so there was a marked improvement in facilities.

I completely agree. Watching someone like Chris Mack at Xavier, it was clear how good of a coach he was. Other examples aren’t as obvious throughout the year, but couldn’t agree more that seeing the gaps between coaching and talent overall is pretty easy to spot. Letting Mack go to Louisville was almost as bad as hiring DM in the first place. We should have done whatever it took to get him here.

Lewisville #2 in poll this week. Coulda, woulda shoulda been us. :(

There's a really good chance RC is a worse coach than DM. He has much less experience, his only mentors are [Redacted] and Manning, and our guards haven't exactly excelled.

We need to keep telling ourselves that... Despite the fact that Childress is a WFU legend, 100% of his coaching experience has come as an assistant to either Jeff [Redacted] or Danny Manning. No experience other than that. Thank you, Mr. WFU Legend for all you have done for us (and its a LOT) and we wish you well at your next coaching job should you choose to stay in the profession.

Back