• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Yeah. It was late afternoon. 50-75 people showed up from the photos I've seen. Some dude I don't know had a cool dunk and we announced the "official" DJ of Wake Forest sports. Good times were had by a few.

Two folks told me 'maybe 50'....held in Reynolds ?

Two folks told me 'maybe 50'....held in Reynolds ?

Yup. Looks like more than 50, but less than 80. Lots of cheerleaders and staff type folks in the stands as well.

More importantly, DJ Hek Yeh, our new OFFICIAL GAME DAY DJ, kept the house rockin'...

I commend you, Racer. You're keeping Wake basketball alive on the boards.

I commend you, Racer. You're keeping Wake basketball alive on the boards.

I miss Wake basketball. I grew up fighting the good fight against all the UNC, State and Duke fans despite having no family with any college affiliations. Hate how unnecessarily it has been ruined by highly paid adults who failed miserably at their jobs without any consequences.

I miss Wake basketball. I grew up fighting the good right against all the UNC, State and Duke fans despite having no family with any college affiliations. Hate how unnecessarily it has been ruined by highly paid adults who failed miserably at their jobs without any consequences.

It truly is despicable and sad. All of this could have been avoided.

Wellman was afraid of "pushing the envelope" and doing what had to be done to compete in the modern day ACC. I don't think he realized that everyone was cheating to some degree, the NCAA didn't/doesn't care and that u*NC was going to skate on all charges. He felt if he kept our noses clean and socks on straight that we would somehow be better off at the end of the day...Look at us now.

Wellman was afraid of "pushing the envelope" and doing what had to be done to compete in the modern day ACC. I don't think he realized that everyone was cheating to some degree, the NCAA didn't/doesn't care and that u*NC was going to skate on all charges. He felt if he kept our noses clean and socks on straight that we would somehow be better off at the end of the day...Look at us now.
Oh! Heavens yes! Look at us now!

I get where you're coming from but that even makes it seem like you have to cheat to compete. I still don't think that's true. I don't believe we cheat in football. Basketball is obviously a different bird and we are behind the eight ball compared to the blue bloods, but we have demonstrated that we can hold our own as a program power. It's just about leadership/culture creation, in-game coaching, and recruiting. Some guys have it and some don't. Wellman hired two who were not just somewhat lacking but desperately deficient. And doubled down on them disastrously.

Still hard to wrap my mind around this: I remember learning we had lost to Stetson. I look back on how dramatically my life has changed since then. Yet here's Wake Basketball, still completely off the relevance radar. At least we have consistency going for us.

I get where you're coming from but that even makes it seem like you have to cheat to compete. I still don't think that's true. I don't believe we cheat in football. Basketball is obviously a different bird and we are behind the eight ball compared to the blue bloods, but we have demonstrated that we can hold our own as a program power. It's just about leadership/culture creation, in-game coaching, and recruiting. Some guys have it and some don't. Wellman hired two who were not just somewhat lacking but desperately deficient. And doubled down on them disastrously.

Still hard to wrap my mind around this: I remember learning we had lost to Stetson. I look back on how dramatically my life has changed since then. Yet here's Wake Basketball, still completely off the relevance radar. At least we have consistency going for us.

I really don't care anymore. Last game I went to was the UNC game at home and left at halftime. A real shame but no excitement for the season. Shame for the kids and alumni that is for sure.

It has nothing to do with this. Wellman just wasn't very good at one of the most important aspects of the job--evaluating coaches.

But he sure was great at post-game interviews to defend his little fuck boy

Top 100 guy with decent but not great offers...basically the player type Manning should have been tirelessly recruiting his entire time at Wake.

Top 100 guy with decent but not great offers...basically the player type Manning should have been tirelessly recruiting his entire time at Wake.

Yup... And hopefully he won't be around to try to close the deal with this kid next year. We can agree on that.

Back