• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Wins for Wake Forest Football 2019 ?

How Many Wins for Wake Forest Football in 2019 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’d expect us to lose at least one game that we shouldn’t (Utah St, UNC, Duke, Louisville) and win at least one that would be an upset (FSU, @BC, @Cuse, @VT).

Bold stuff

I think VT is overrated and we could win there.

Couldn't agree more. I think their cupcake schedule early will mask a lot of their issues.

August 30-Utah State (Friday) - W

September 6- @Rice (Friday) - W

September 13-North Carolina (Friday, NOT a conference game) - W

September 21- Elon - W

September 28- @Boston College - W

October 12- Louisville - W

October 19- Florida State - L

November 2- NC State - L

November 9- @Virginia Tech - W

November 16- @Clemson - L

November 23- Duke - W

November 30- @Syracuse - L

As I said earlier, I’m feeling optimistic this year... But I’d expect us to lose at least one game that we shouldn’t (Utah St, UNC, Duke, Louisville) and win at least one that would be an upset (FSU, @BC, @Cuse, @VT).

IDK... maybe i’m crazy but I think the only game on our schedule where a win would qualify as an upset is Clemson. Not to say we will be favored in those games but they should be pretty tight spreads.

A lot of ifs in those predictions of 8 or more wins. If everything goes as hoped for the team is capable of 8 or more wins. But it never happens that way. There is always something that forces reality to be acknowledged. Six.

it never happens that way.

2006 says hello.

And c'mon, we can have seasons where we win 8+ games. Duke, Vandy and Northwestern have all done that recently. It won't require a miracle, especially in a wide-open conference beyond the top team and with a very manageable OOC slate

Last edited:
OK WSC, seldom would have been a better choice of words. There have been seven seasons with eight or more wins in the history of WF football. Seldom fits.

Bold stuff

That's fair. My point was more that if we lose a game early (Utah St, UNC), it doesn't mean we can't still have a good season... And even though the end of the schedule looks a little rough, it is far too early to know what those teams will look like at that point (VT Cuse).

I am surprised so many here are picking us to lose to State. They have no QB and their secondary is very suspect, so I don't think we lose that one and it won't really be close

I am surprised so many here are picking us to lose to State. They have no QB and their secondary is very suspect, so I don't think we lose that one and it won't really be close

3peat against State would be impressive.

2006 says hello.

And c'mon, we can have seasons where we win 8+ games. Duke, Vandy and Northwestern have all done that recently. It won't require a miracle, especially in a wide-open conference beyond the top team and with a very manageable OOC slate

2006 is also the year when we lost home games to the only two good conference opponents we played. Make that two out of three, as we beat BC at Groves.

Outside of Clemson, the conference is somewhere between mediocre and hot garbage. Of course we could win 9 games. We could have won 9 games last year if our defense hadn't been absolutely putrid versus BC and the team showed up against Pitt (the week after our historic Thursday night victory over the Wolfpack). You can't lose home games to average conference opponents and expect to be taken seriously. Florida State was awful last year and we still lost to them. On the other hand, we were lucky to escape Tulane with an overtime victory.

Winning that NC State game, that we probably should have lost, has really brightened everyone's outlook for the team and program. That's a great thing. I'm just pointing out that 20 minutes of decent football can really unite a fanbase and change perceptions. If Wake had lost that game and missed a bowl, I don't think anybody would be talking about 9 wins this season and 8 wins would seem much more unlikely to otherwise rational people.

Last edited:
Watching some highlights of the State game last night really highlighted how much we'll miss Bachman and Dorch. We need Scotty to step up in a big way this year and must have a game-breaker in the slot.

Watching some highlights of the State game last night really highlighted how much we'll miss Bachman and Dorch. We need Scotty to step up in a big way this year and must have a game-breaker in the slot.

I'm plenty concerned about some other position groups, but receiver isn't one of them. That's a pretty cool thing to say after losing so many of our top guys. Surratt is a star in the making - and made the most impressive catch of that State game. Washington is healthy again, so no reason not to be optimistic he returns to 2017 form. Claude should provide a reliable target. I'd love to see Waydale Jones turn into a capable backup and have Greene redshirt. In the slot, Hinton is explosive and has had a full offseason to prepare. Roberson has looked pretty good in limited action. And then we have Groulx, who might turn out to be the best of this group. Hopefully Hinton/Roberson have it covered well enough that he can play 4 games and redshirt too.

OK WSC, seldom would have been a better choice of words. There have been seven seasons with eight or more wins in the history of WF football. Seldom fits.

this is a fair point; however it's also fair to mention that for a significant percentage of CFB history, WF played 10 or fewer games per season and bowl game were hard to come by

1987, 1988, 2001 are examples of seasons in which the team may have won 8 games with a 12-game schedule and a bowl game (which Biff told us to exclude, but some folks seem to be including in their estimates)

I'm plenty concerned about some other position groups, but receiver isn't one of them. That's a pretty cool thing to say after losing so many of our top guys. Surratt is a star in the making - and made the most impressive catch of that State game. Washington is healthy again, so no reason not to be optimistic he returns to 2017 form. Claude should provide a reliable target. I'd love to see Waydale Jones turn into a capable backup and have Greene redshirt. In the slot, Hinton is explosive and has had a full offseason to prepare. Roberson has looked pretty good in limited action. And then we have Groulx, who might turn out to be the best of this group. Hopefully Hinton/Roberson have it covered well enough that he can play 4 games and redshirt too.

Hope you're right! I know we are very deep. Just hope our guys rise to the occasion when it matters. My only fear is that Dortch demanded so much attention that it helped make everyone else look better. I'm hoping I look back on this post and it looks foolish in a couple of months.

It's also a different era than back in the day.

I get that some people are too old to unsee what they've seen, but what happened in like the 1980s (or older) has jack to do with how things are now

On the other hand, we were lucky to escape Tulane with an overtime victory.

I wouldn't call that luck, we were the better team by some distance in that one, we just got burned twice by two big passing plays that allowed Tulane to stick around.

If we were going to have a down year it would've been one where we were a disaster defensively for the first half of the season and we were breaking in QBs who hadn't played, yet we still made a bowl and won.

We do have to take the next step from being a 6-7 win regular season team, but I'd argue we would've already done that in 2017 if we were playing this year's schedule then -- as the division is significantly weaker and there's no Notre Dame on the slate. That team was better, but this year provides our best opportunity yet to break through

Last edited:
There was also the play where Hartman "threw an interception" with his knee on the ground.

That's fair. My point was more that if we lose a game early (Utah St, UNC), it doesn't mean we can't still have a good season... And even though the end of the schedule looks a little rough, it is far too early to know what those teams will look like at that point (VT Cuse).

While I made an optimistic prediction, the bold is true of WF as well. If we get a rash of injuries especially on the defense, the outlook looks a lot worse. The end of last year the D looked good and we have some young guys stepping up, but my feeling is that the quality on D drops off pretty dramatically behind the starters. Depth on O appears to be better especially in the skill positions.

Back