• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Valle Crusis, Boone, & Blowing Rock

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I am heading up to Valle Crusis for a week in September and staying on the Watauga River so I'll be able to do some fly fishing. What else is there to do up that way other than get away from this terrible heat in upstate SC?

Go to West Jefferson. Cool little town without all the crowds. Avoid Boone like the plague. Plus, the New River is a million times better than the Watauga.

Elk River Falls has a pretty big waterfall that you can jump off.

Six Pence Pub has meh food, but a good bar that won't be filled with college kids.

Canyons has a nice view and decent lunch food.

Definitely avoid Boone at this time of year, but if you're there and want something to eat, try Coyote Kitchen.

Canyons is closed and is some other shitty place now. Eat Crow dece little lunch spot on way between Blowing Rock and Banner Elk. Reid’s a pretty good dinner spot out that way. In laws have a house in BR and I’ve never been impressed with the food. We always go to this place Bistro Roca that is not bad for dinner and brunch but I’m tired of it.

Bistro Roca used to be great. I haven’t been there in 10 years.

Food and beer was pretty good at blowing rock brewery.

I'll second the West Jefferson recommendation. Good for a day trip to their little downtown, plus the only cheese factory in NC.
I like Blowing Rock better than Boone. Try the Gamekeeper for some neat wild-game dishes that are always good (a little pricey though). it's between blowing rock and boone.

Slightly off topic, but my wife, daughter and I spent a long weekend at Nantahala Lake a few weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful. Quiet, too.

Canyons is closed and is some other shitty place now. Eat Crow dece little lunch spot on way between Blowing Rock and Banner Elk. Reid’s a pretty good dinner spot out that way. In laws have a house in BR and I’ve never been impressed with the food. We always go to this place Bistro Roca that is not bad for dinner and brunch but I’m tired of it.

Drove by Canyons last Friday and it was open, but yeah as something different now I think.
Go to Roland's.

Drove by Canyons last Friday and it was open, but yeah as something different now I think.
Go to Roland's.

We went there for brunch a few weeks ago to try the new place and they were serving sandwiches with Boars Head meats, not exactly what you’re looking for in a restaurant. A shame because the view is unbeatable.

Look for Trash Can Falls (aka Laurel Creek Falls), its beautiful this time of year, but don't go after a rainy day the falls will be extremely dangerous. If you are a golfer try and get a tee time at Elk River in Banner Elk. Probably my all time favorite course. If you like river tubing go out to Todd, NC its the best around. Dan'l Boone Inn is more or less a tourist trap but if you've never eaten there it's worth at least one visit. Howard's Knob has a nice little park and some great views of Boone. Sugar Mountain is actually pretty fun in the summer, you can ride the lift up to the top and there will be things to do. Food, beer, etc. Definitely hit the Parkway one day if you've never done so, and Grandfather Mountain is also a cool spot if you've never been.

Hebron rock colony was our river jam.

+1. Hike the whole Boone Fork Trail while you’re at it. You can make a day of it and it’s a great 5 mile hike that has plenty of pull offs to the river & water falls.

Also, go to the Cardinal. One of my favorite restaurants up there. Good beer list with incredible burgers and cocktails.

Linville Gorge is near there, so that's worth considering if you like a good hike. One of my favorite spots in NC.

Elk River Falls has a pretty big waterfall that you can jump off.

Six Pence Pub has meh food, but a good bar that won't be filled with college kids.

Canyons has a nice view and decent lunch food.

Definitely avoid Boone at this time of year, but if you're there and want something to eat, try Coyote Kitchen.

Dude, This is irresponsible af advice. People die on the reg at Elk River falls. Go to compression falls instead of you want to jump. Elk River has a weird hydraulic that pulls people under and keeps them there. Pretty hike, but definitely don’t swim there.

Back