• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Valle Crusis, Boone, & Blowing Rock

blowing rock is great if you’re a chick who likes overpriced christmas themed knick knack shops

Look for Trash Can Falls (aka Laurel Creek Falls), its beautiful this time of year, but don't go after a rainy day the falls will be extremely dangerous. If you are a golfer try and get a tee time at Elk River in Banner Elk. Probably my all time favorite course. If you like river tubing go out to Todd, NC its the best around. Dan'l Boone Inn is more or less a tourist trap but if you've never eaten there it's worth at least one visit. Howard's Knob has a nice little park and some great views of Boone. Sugar Mountain is actually pretty fun in the summer, you can ride the lift up to the top and there will be things to do. Food, beer, etc. Definitely hit the Parkway one day if you've never done so, and Grandfather Mountain is also a cool spot if you've never been.

Second pretty much all of this... Don't see a Todd mention on the boards much - my hometown! Well, its not really a town. My grandmother cooked at the Dan'l Boone Inn many years ago - can't get much more authentic than that...

If you go to Todd, there is a little guide company there (River Girls) who do tube, kayak, etc. tours, as well as flyfishing guiding, teaching, etc. The New River is supposed to have some good smallmouth fishing. Be careful, you might pull in a hellbender - a really nasty looking giant salamander.

Drive Hwy 194 from Boone to Todd and you can then continue on it to West Jefferson - it is one of the most scenic drives around! West Jefferson has a cute little downtown with art galleries, antique shops, a beer/wine tasting place, etc... There are even a couple decent restaurants - the Hotel Tavern, Boondocks brewery and tavern are both OK. There is a little dive/bar called Black Jack's that might have the best burger I have ever had. The owner supposedly creates the meat mixture at home and doesn't even tell the employees the recipe.

Of course you can't miss the Ashe County Cheese factory - I usually leave with like $40 worth of cheese...

The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis is pretty touristy but pretty fun - there is a branch in downtown Boone as well. If the Todd General Store is still operating it is a much more authentic experience. My father used to take me there for a brownie chocolate milk and a oatmeal pie when I was a kid. When he was a kid the owner would buy the rabbits he shot for $0.25 each.

There's a lot of roadwork going on in the area. The Blue Ridge Parkway is laying down chip seal asphalt for the next couple of months which means a lot of loose gravel, dust and tar that can get on your car.

Don't jump off of Elk River Falls. People drown or get paralyzed there fairly regularly.

Dude, This is irresponsible af advice. People die on the reg at Elk River falls. Go to compression falls instead of you want to jump. Elk River has a weird hydraulic that pulls people under and keeps them there. Pretty hike, but definitely don’t swim there.

We used to do it pretty regularly in the summer. We always heard rumors of people dying, but always heard that it was a drunk guy that tried something he shouldn't have.

We used to do it pretty regularly in the summer. We always heard rumors of people dying, but always heard that it was a drunk guy that tried something he shouldn't have.

Yeah. I just found out someone died at Compression falls too recently, but Elk River has had like 12 deaths in a decade. When I was growing up around that area we would always go jump at Trashcan or Compression because locals all knew Elk River was sketchy. But I guess jumping 35 feet plus into a small pool of water is sketchy regardless.

Yeah. I just found out someone died at Compression falls too recently, but Elk River has had like 12 deaths in a decade. When I was growing up around that area we would always go jump at Trashcan or Compression because locals all knew Elk River was sketchy. But I guess jumping 35 feet plus into a small pool of water is sketchy regardless.

We used to go jump off the dam near Hound Ears. Looking back, that was a little sketchy. The water was disgusting and there was broken glass and trash everywhere.

Second pretty much all of this... Don't see a Todd mention on the boards much - my hometown! Well, its not really a town. My grandmother cooked at the Dan'l Boone Inn many years ago - can't get much more authentic than that...

If you go to Todd, there is a little guide company there (River Girls) who do tube, kayak, etc. tours, as well as flyfishing guiding, teaching, etc. The New River is supposed to have some good smallmouth fishing. Be careful, you might pull in a hellbender - a really nasty looking giant salamander.

Drive Hwy 194 from Boone to Todd and you can then continue on it to West Jefferson - it is one of the most scenic drives around! West Jefferson has a cute little downtown with art galleries, antique shops, a beer/wine tasting place, etc... There are even a couple decent restaurants - the Hotel Tavern, Boondocks brewery and tavern are both OK. There is a little dive/bar called Black Jack's that might have the best burger I have ever had. The owner supposedly creates the meat mixture at home and doesn't even tell the employees the recipe.

Of course you can't miss the Ashe County Cheese factory - I usually leave with like $40 worth of cheese...

The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis is pretty touristy but pretty fun - there is a branch in downtown Boone as well. If the Todd General Store is still operating it is a much more authentic experience. My father used to take me there for a brownie chocolate milk and a oatmeal pie when I was a kid. When he was a kid the owner would buy the rabbits he shot for $0.25 each.

Isn't there a drugstore or small soda shoppe ust across the street that serves great hot dogs?

No one has mentioned the Virginia Creeper Trail. You can rent a bike and ride the old railroad grade trail approximately 20 miles all down hill from White Top Mtn. Va. to Damascus, Va. Believe about 40 miles from Boone. The Va. Creeper Rail line ran from Todd, NC to West Jefferson, NC, Damascus, Va. terminating in Abingdon, Va. Railroad was shut down in mid 70's.

https://www.vacreepertrail.org/

Back