• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

I get what you're saying but Bryant didn't have to leave Clemson to make the NFL. If he plays very well this season, he improved his chances though. If I were a Clemson fan I wouldn't like it but would understand it. Anyway, the obvious point is Hartman is in a very different position with the ability to play 1/3 of the season, redshirt, and spend two years as an upperclassman starting qb in the ACC for a very good coach in a system he's already proven he can run. I don't think he'll even consider transferring unless Kearns (or someone even younger) beats him out.

If he sat for the last year and 10 games of college career, he'd be very, very lucky to ever get drafted. It would be stunning if anyone would take a flyer on him in the 5th+ Round. If you aren't good enough to play in college, why would an NFL take such a chance at that position?

If he sat for the last year and 10 games of college career, he'd be very, very lucky to ever get drafted. It would be stunning if anyone would take a flyer on him in the 5th+ Round. If you aren't good enough to play in college, why would an NFL take such a chance at that position?

It's a little different when you're playing behind the best qb in college football and projected #1 overall pick. Matt Cassel got drafted as a career backup. Bryant wasn't a career backup, he was the dude at Clemson for a year and took them to the playoff.

Bryant leaving made perfect sense. He thought he had a shot to make the NFL. If he had stayed at Clemson, he would have only played again if Lawrence got hurt. It was illogical to think he would stay.

Y'all are missing the point on Bryant. No one thinks ill of him for leaving. The problem was the way he did it. He could have stayed on the team that year - practicing, helping the team be ready, etc. - dabo said he wouldn't play him, allowing him to redshirt and not impact his eligibility as a transfer. Instead he decided to leave the team immediately. If anything, I would think it would have been good for him to stay to help him stay in shape, etc...

“So scooter, we are demoting you and putting the new guy in your old position. I know it may be tempting to use your sick days and vacation to leave right now then find a new job you can start in a few months. But we think the classy thing for you to do is stay on here and help train the new guy. If we need you to take over for him, you won’t be able to go to your new job but that’s fine, right?”

I get that kids transfer at the drop of a hat these days, but fortunately it's still pretty rare (unprecedented?) at Wake for players to leave just because they aren't named a starter at their position.

Just seemed presumptuous to me to add the transfer speculation to the original article when in this particular case there are no outward signs that that is likely.

“So scooter, we are demoting you and putting the new guy in your old position. I know it may be tempting to use your sick days and vacation to leave right now then find a new job you can start in a few months. But we think the classy thing for you to do is stay on here and help train the new guy. If we need you to take over for him, you won’t be able to go to your new job but that’s fine, right?”

Weak analogy

It's a little different when you're playing behind the best qb in college football and projected #1 overall pick. Matt Cassel got drafted as a career backup. Bryant wasn't a career backup, he was the dude at Clemson for a year and took them to the playoff.

You've got one in the past quarter of a century.

BTW, he was a seventh round pick. The difference between that even being a second round pick is millions.

Y'all are missing the point on Bryant. No one thinks ill of him for leaving. The problem was the way he did it. He could have stayed on the team that year - practicing, helping the team be ready, etc. - dabo said he wouldn't play him, allowing him to redshirt and not impact his eligibility as a transfer. Instead he decided to leave the team immediately. If anything, I would think it would have been good for him to stay to help him stay in shape, etc...

So, he should have given Clemson all the benefit and gotten nothing for himself. That doesn't sound very wise.

So claw did the right thing. You don’t lose your position because of injury. There wasn’t a qb controversy. Claw and the rest of us knew what Newman was capable of and saw him do that the end of the season. If Jamie had been healthy he would have earned the spot sooner. If healthy Newman is our qb for two years. Let’s hope he stays healthy.

So, he should have given Clemson all the benefit and gotten nothing for himself. That doesn't sound very wise.

He should have stayed at Clemson, practiced with his team, and supported his teammates. If Lawrence broke his leg the next week then Bryant would have again been the QB of the #1 team in the country. If not, then he gets to use Clemson’s incredible resources and still could transfer without penalty at the end of the year. He also would have won a national championship and wouldn’t have risked the “quitter” label hurting him in the draft.

That’s ridiculous. And if Lawrence had stubbed his toe, Bryant would have come in and risked losing his transfer year.

I get that kids transfer at the drop of a hat these days, but fortunately it's still pretty rare (unprecedented?) at Wake for players to leave just because they aren't named a starter at their position.

Just seemed presumptuous to me to add the transfer speculation to the original article when in this particular case there are no outward signs that that is likely.

Rare? Unprecedented? How about Zac Taylor, Tabari Hines, Ben Mauk, Hodges?, Cameron something? Just off the top of my head, I'm sure others can list a number of transfers (several caused by Riley Skinner winning the QB job).

That’s ridiculous. And if Lawrence had stubbed his toe, Bryant would have come in and risked losing his transfer year.

Not if he didn’t want to play in that scenario, and he and Dabo had worked on a plan ahead of time.

With a transfer, one has to decide if it’s the right move for him/her, which is the biggest decision. But the process is also important, and if done poorly many important bridges can be burned.

Rare? Unprecedented? How about Zac Taylor, Tabari Hines, Ben Mauk, Hodges?, Cameron something? Just off the top of my head, I'm sure others can list a number of transfers (several caused by Riley Skinner winning the QB job).

Yes. And for anyone even following the rest of CFB on a cursory basis, it's pretty easy to pick up on how many QBs are transferring these days

Not if he didn’t want to play in that scenario, and he and Dabo had worked on a plan ahead of time.

With a transfer, one has to decide if it’s the right move for him/her, which is the biggest decision. But the process is also important, and if done poorly many important bridges can be burned.

And you would have criticized Bryant if he didn’t want to come into a game because of a short term injury to Lawrence like the Cuse game.

He should have stayed at Clemson, practiced with his team, and supported his teammates. If Lawrence broke his leg the next week then Bryant would have again been the QB of the #1 team in the country. If not, then he gets to use Clemson’s incredible resources and still could transfer without penalty at the end of the year. He also would have won a national championship and wouldn’t have risked the “quitter” label hurting him in the draft.

He has NC at Clemson from the bench. What would being on the bench for another do to help him?

What would would be for Lawrence to get dinged or a concussion and Bryant thrown in the game and back to the bench again.

NFL teams wouldn't consider him a "quitter". He took control and looked for the best opportunity. Teams would much more likely see him as making a definitive decision.

Highly likely Hartman leaves. Prepare yourselves. Been the man his whole short football life. Starters mentality to the bone. Just can't see him riding the bench for two years.

That's fair, but with at least some of those guys there were additional factors involved and they didn't come out of the blue. It would be pretty surprising to me if Sam decided to up and leave this fall when he is very clearly the #2 guy and when history shows he is likely to get a ton of PT this year.

We all knew that a transfer of the QB not named the starter was possible because both of them are starting ACC material. Executives have to make decisions every day of promoting one employee over another with the realization they could lose the one passed over. In today's college football environment, it is fairly common that players will want to leave (if they are any good) in order to start or at least play starter minutes so this should not be considered all that unlikely. Having said all that, I don't think Sam is going anywhere anytime soon because of the type of person he is and his love for Wake Forest. Obviously none of us has a crystal ball so I guess we will just have to wait and see what develops.

Hartman should absolutely transfer if his main focus is his football career. It sucks, but that's the best move for him. He's looking at two seasons on the sidelines at Wake and there are a lot of P5 and upper tier G5 programs hurting for a QB out there.

Back