• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

I just don't see this as a transfer situation. If you are likely to see a fair amount of PT as QB2 and the guy in front of you has less eligibility remaining, then why leave?

Hartman should absolutely transfer if his main focus is his football career. It sucks, but that's the best move for him. He's looking at two seasons on the sidelines at Wake and there are a lot of P5 and upper tier G5 programs hurting for a QB out there.

This is such a myopic take. Should Newman have transferred last year when he was named second string? Should Wolford have transferred when he was named second string? Things change so quickly in football - you think Hartman is looking at 2 years on the sideline? He may not be looking at two weeks.

When one transfers they have to learn a completely new playbook, you may not get along with the coaches or teammates, and the school you transfer to may immediately recruit over you. There are a lot of risks in transferring. If one transfers from the curret Wake team, I highly doubt they play for a smarter coach than Clawson.

He has NC at Clemson from the bench. What would being on the bench for another do to help him?

What would would be for Lawrence to get dinged or a concussion and Bryant thrown in the game and back to the bench again.

NFL teams wouldn't consider him a "quitter". He took control and looked for the best opportunity. Teams would much more likely see him as making a definitive decision.

This post helps me be even more certain about my opinion.

I just don't see this as a transfer situation. If you are likely to see a fair amount of PT as QB2 and the guy in front of you has less eligibility remaining, then why leave?

Yeah, this isn't much like Clemson, Clemson QBs don't really get hurt in their system with their Oline. It seems like every year our QBs are getting hurt for various reasons and we are cycling through multiple players at that position.

So much wrongness on this thread.

If Sam wants to be nearly guaranteed a starting job next year, he's probably going to have to move down a level in competition. He just got beat out by Jamie Newman, not Trevor Lawrence. Hartman is not transferring to a mid-level SEC school and starting next year. Although, if Fromm leaves Georgia after this year, Hartman could be the guy, depending on what Kirby brings in. Hartman would be safer in the pocket than in Clawson's RPO.

Also if Bryant had stayed with Clemson last year, he would have been inserted into the Syracuse game, when they really needed him, which would have been his fifth game.

Bryant is not "the kid who that you to a natty."

So much wrongness on this thread.

If Sam wants to be nearly guaranteed a starting job next year, he's probably going to have to move down a level in competition. He just got beat out by Jamie Newman, not Trevor Lawrence.

Hartman is not transferring to a mid-level SEC school and starting next year.

Although, if Fromm leaves Georgia after this year, Hartman could be the guy, depending on what Kirby brings in. Hartman would be safer in the pocket than in Clawson's RPO.

:confused:

If Sam wants to be nearly guaranteed a starting job next year, he's probably going to have to move down a level in competition. He just got beat out by Jamie Newman, not Trevor Lawrence. Hartman is not transferring to a mid-level SEC school and starting next year. Although, if Fromm leaves Georgia after this year, Hartman could be the guy, depending on what Kirby brings in. Hartman would be safer in the pocket than in Clawson's RPO."

Hard to know where you're going with this one, but it sounds like you think it would be a bad idea for Hartman to transfer. He was not beat out by a generational talent, Wake QBs have been injured previous seasons, and he would need to drop down a level of competition and exposure.

Nobody knows what Hartman wants to do. Speculate all you want, but there aren't any tea leaves to read.

Hard to know where you're going with this one, but it sounds like you think it would be a bad idea for Hartman to transfer. He was not beat out by a generational talent, Wake QBs have been injured previous seasons, and he would need to drop down a level of competition and exposure.

Yeah, I know. Hartman's a good college QB, but he's going to have to compete wherever he goes.

Nobody knows what Hartman wants to do. Speculate all you want, but there aren't any tea leaves to read.

Will probably redshirt but get to play in 4 games. That is My Take on Wake.

There's plenty of risk in transferring, unless it's to a far lesser program. Tate Martell thought he'd be the man at Miami after transferring from tOSU, but got beat out by a rFr Jarren Williams, and is battling for 2nd string with N'Kosi Perry. Probably will just end up transferring again.

While it would be hard as a competitor to ride the pine for two years, I think realizing that you'll be the (basically) guaranteed starter for 2 years would be enough to make Hartman stay.

Hartman isn't likely to play in the NFL. His situation is vastly different than Kelly Bryant's. The question for Hartman will be can he transfer to someplace he would definitely start and will give him as valuable a degree. If not he should stay.

Hartman and Bryant probably have an equal chance of playing in the NFL. I might even give an edge to Hartman, especially if he's really 6'1", like Wolford.

This is such a myopic take. Should Newman have transferred last year when he was named second string? Should Wolford have transferred when he was named second string? Things change so quickly in football - you think Hartman is looking at 2 years on the sideline? He may not be looking at two weeks.

When one transfers they have to learn a completely new playbook, you may not get along with the coaches or teammates, and the school you transfer to may immediately recruit over you. There are a lot of risks in transferring. If one transfers from the curret Wake team, I highly doubt they play for a smarter coach than Clawson.
This

Yet on average one QB per team transferred last year.

There's plenty of risk in transferring, unless it's to a far lesser program. Tate Martell thought he'd be the man at Miami after transferring from tOSU, but got beat out by a rFr Jarren Williams, and is battling for 2nd string with N'Kosi Perry. Probably will just end up transferring again.

While it would be hard as a competitor to ride the pine for two years, I think realizing that you'll be the (basically) guaranteed starter for 2 years would be enough to make Hartman stay.

Plus, if he redshirts this season or next season at Wake, there is still a good chance he plays in 4 games, so it ends up being a playing redshirt season. If he transfers, he can't play at all during the season he has to sit out. The newish can play 4 games and still redshirt rule seems huge for a player in Hartman's situation. From a development standpoint, I personally think he will be better off 2 years from now by redshirting (but still playing some) this season vs being the starter and not redshirting at all. Of course the worst case scenario is playing in 5 games the next two seasons.

All this speculation, based off a couple lines that were also admitted as speculation. Sam loves Wake Forest, the school most of you went to, and some people are arguing he should transfer? What is wrong with you people. Let him stay here and enjoy it.

Another sad thing to think about is we lost most of our offensive line. Barring building a moat in the backfield, our QBs could be more endangered than polar bears.

All this speculation, based off a couple lines that were also admitted as speculation. Sam loves Wake Forest, the school most of you went to, and some people are arguing he should transfer? What is wrong with you people. Let him stay here and enjoy it.

Sign of the times. Colleget players who aren't starting consider transferring.

Another sad thing to think about is we lost most of our offensive line. Barring building a moat in the backfield, our QBs could be more endangered than polar bears.

We didn't lose most of our OL we return three starters

Back