• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

yall got it all wrong...sam plays in 4 games this year while newman blows up and works himself into a high draft pick. then sam comes back from a redshirt year and lights it up next year for us. duh

If I'm Hartman I look at it this way. I redshirt next year not this year. That way Kern will have more experience in the program and the old line that is probably not going to be good and we'll have a year to get experienced. When I come back for the 2021 season I have a senior Surratt, seasoned Groulx and Green. More experienced ol. A capable backup. Kenneth Walker is gonna be looking for his 2nd 1000yd year with CBS, Flowers, and the freshman next year ready to go. McCollum on D has become every but as good as Clowney and all these freshman and sophomores on D have matriculated

My bad, I thought we lost our three best OL players.

Haynes and Anderson were big losses, but Herron we get back and he was every bit as good and an NFL prospect as Haynes not to mention the best pass blocker on the team.

Another sad thing to think about is we lost most of our offensive line. Barring building a moat in the backfield, our QBs could be more endangered than polar bears.

We have 3 returning starters (the best was injured last year), and a center who played 325 snaps last season. This isn't a good take.

Next year is when we feel the oline losses imho

Last edited:
“So scooter, we are demoting you and putting the new guy in your old position. I know it may be tempting to use your sick days and vacation to leave right now then find a new job you can start in a few months. But we think the classy thing for you to do is stay on here and help train the new guy. If we need you to take over for him, you won’t be able to go to your new job but that’s fine, right?”

Idiotic. I could leave and get a new job as soon as I could find one. Leaving as soon as I could find a job comparable to my old one would benefit me. Leaving right away did nothing for Bryant.

Idiotic. I could leave and get a new job as soon as I could find one. Leaving as soon as I could find a job comparable to my old one would benefit me. Leaving right away did nothing for Bryant.

He got to pick his next job. Staying would have done no good whatsoever for him.

Next year is when we feel the oline losses imho

Could be, but I think Clawson has recruited well on the o-line over the last 3 recruiting cycles. WF won't be as experienced, but think the talent and depth on the OL is as good as it has ever been. Clawson is running a legit D-1 program where RS Frosh OL are ready to step in and the drop-off is minimal. Also, agree that this year's OL will be as good as last year's. WF shared a lot of snaps and the following players in the regular OL rotation return:

- Je'Vionte Nash - played in all 13 games last year
- Nathan Gilliam - started all 13 games last year
- Jake Benziner - started in all 13 games last year
- Justin Herron - started 38 games before getting hurt in the opener.

Jurgens, Maginn, Nya and Rappleyea all played last year, and WF has more that are now ready. Think OL will be good for a while.

I hope we strategically use Hartman in games where Newman isn't the X factor and can get reps for other backup positions prior to a big home/road game (Elon before BC, Duke before Syracuse, etc...). I also think we could run different packages with Jamie and Sam...either together or during different series.

Y’all do realize that Kelly Bryant is going to go 6-6 this year at Mizzou and will never be heard from again, right?

No chance he plays QB in the NFL

The more I think about this, if everything goes according to plan, and Hartman is able to redshirt one of the next two years, he'd be incredibly hard-pressed to step into a better situation elsewhere. I think he sticks it out.

The more I think about this, if everything goes according to plan, and Hartman is able to redshirt one of the next two years, he'd be incredibly hard-pressed to step into a better situation elsewhere. I think he sticks it out.

Just admit it was my post on our national championship team in two years that sold you lol

I hope we strategically use Hartman in games where Newman isn't the X factor and can get reps for other backup positions prior to a big home/road game (Elon before BC, Duke before Syracuse, etc...). I also think we could run different packages with Jamie and Sam...either together or during different series.

If we want Hartman to get a redshirt year, rather than wasting a year of eligibility as a backup, Kern should play mop-up duty in games like Rice and Elon. Save Hartman for the last 4 games of the season, barring an injury to Newman.

I tell you I love McCollum he flat out said he was gonna be better than Clowney Saturday

Yes it did. He was able to preserve his redshirt and transfer to Mizzou. Otherwise, he would have played when Lawrence was injured vs. Cuse or you'd hate him for staying on the team but refusing to play as a backup.

Y’all do realize that Kelly Bryant is going to go 6-6 this year at Mizzou and will never be heard from again, right?

No chance he plays QB in the NFL

At least he'd get a chance. He wouldn't at Clemson.

I tell you I love McCollum he flat out said he was gonna be better than Clowney Saturday

I hope you're 1/2 as correct about your take on McCollum as your posts suggest. We will be in a great shape if he can draw a double team every time he lines up.

Newman is a baller. I'm extremely excited for August 30th and think the crowd should be one of the best we've had in years.

Newman seems pretty durable imo, though I don't recall what happened in practice that gave him an injury to start the year last year. He stood in the pocket and delivered some strikes last year just before getting lit up. The game-winning TD pass at State showed phenomenal poise. Stoic in the pocket, hype in his celebrations. That's what I want in a QB.

Also, his subtle cockiness in the video posted by @WakeFB got me even more excited for next Friday.

https://twitter.com/WakeFB/status/1163164941391716353

Yes it did. He was able to preserve his redshirt and transfer to Mizzou. Otherwise, he would have played when Lawrence was injured vs. Cuse or you'd hate him for staying on the team but refusing to play as a backup.

Dabo said he wouldn't play him. If they announced publicly that Bryant was sticking around but would not be playing so he could preserve his eligibility, no one would have blamed him. Unless you think Dabo is a liar, then believe what you want.

Back