• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

Good post. Newman is the type of QB we've wanted for a long time. 6-4/245, big arm, poised, great pocket presence, powerful runner.

Dabo said he wouldn't play him. If they announced publicly that Bryant was sticking around but would not be playing so he could preserve his eligibility, no one would have blamed him. Unless you think Dabo is a liar, then believe what you want.

Lots of things can happen. If Lawrence went down for a game, Dabo wouldn't have hesitated to put Bryant in a game to avoid missing the playoffs.

How's Newman's speed? I can't remember. He strikes me as a Cam Newton type QB (which would be amazing.)

He's not slow, but not quite as fast as Hartman. He's also tougher to tackle. Making the correct read is far more important/valuable in our offense than speed.

This is such a myopic take. Should Newman have transferred last year when he was named second string? Should Wolford have transferred when he was named second string? Things change so quickly in football - you think Hartman is looking at 2 years on the sideline? He may not be looking at two weeks.

When one transfers they have to learn a completely new playbook, you may not get along with the coaches or teammates, and the school you transfer to may immediately recruit over you. There are a lot of risks in transferring. If one transfers from the curret Wake team, I highly doubt they play for a smarter coach than Clawson.
You can dream

Dabo said he wouldn't play him. If they announced publicly that Bryant was sticking around but would not be playing so he could preserve his eligibility, no one would have blamed him. Unless you think Dabo is a liar, then believe what you want.

You're lying to yourself if you don't think Dabo would play Bryant if Lawrence was going to be out for one or two games that could impact their CFP chances.

If Hartman got injured before this season started, could he get a medical redshirt for this year and then use the regular redshirt for next year, thus preserving three years of eligibility???

You're lying to yourself if you don't think Dabo would play Bryant if Lawrence was going to be out for one or two games that could impact their CFP chances.

Like I said, believe what you want. I don't remember his name but the other back-up did come in and play, and played well, when he had to.

I like it

Wake football could be in for a special season

He's not slow, but not quite as fast as Hartman. He's also tougher to tackle. Making the correct read is far more important/valuable in our offense than speed.

Per their recruiting profiles, Hartman ran a 5.08 in HS (yikes!) and Newman ran a 4.76. If those were close to accurate, Newman is (still) much faster. I also thought Newman looked faster last year, especially when he got to build up a head of steam.

Per their recruiting profiles, Hartman ran a 5.08 in HS (yikes!) and Newman ran a 4.76. If those were close to accurate, Newman is (still) much faster. I also thought Newman looked faster last year, especially when he got to build up a head of steam.

Thank you.

Good info, that surprises me. I was going with my (admittedly amateur) eye test from games last season. Also, Hartman had health issues while in high school and I wonder if that impacted his 40 time. He definitely looked faster than that to me.

Good info, that surprises me. I was going with my (admittedly amateur) eye test from games last season. Also, Hartman had health issues while in high school and I wonder if that impacted his 40 time. He definitely looked faster than that to me.

Sure, but I wouldn't be so confident that Hartman is faster than Newman.

Could be, but I think Clawson has recruited well on the o-line over the last 3 recruiting cycles. WF won't be as experienced, but think the talent and depth on the OL is as good as it has ever been. Clawson is running a legit D-1 program where RS Frosh OL are ready to step in and the drop-off is minimal. Also, agree that this year's OL will be as good as last year's. WF shared a lot of snaps and the following players in the regular OL rotation return:

- Je'Vionte Nash - played in all 13 games last year
- Nathan Gilliam - started all 13 games last year
- Jake Benziner - started in all 13 games last year
- Justin Herron - started 38 games before getting hurt in the opener.

Jurgens, Maginn, Nya and Rappleyea all played last year, and WF has more that are now ready. Think OL will be good for a while.

Right on.

Build depth on the lines like a real program: Claw moved Allen from DE, to DT, which is a D-1 go for it and win now, don't wait around decision.

Decisive and the right move.

He knows, if we can somehow get by @BC, always very difficult, those 3 home games in late Sep/early Oct. --- this could be a big year.

Gotta concentrate on Utah State and make sure they do not "hang 50 on us" like they think they will (?) ---- 1 at a time.

Last edited:
Love the Allen move to inside. He gives us something at DT that we haven’t had in a while- agility and pass rushing. Also, at 6’6 he will be able to bat down some balls at the LOS

Back