• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

Love the Allen move to inside. He gives us something at DT that we haven’t had in a while- agility and pass rushing. Also, at 6’6 he will be able to bat down some balls at the LOS

First - per Les he isn't starting.

Second - when did he go from 6'5" to 6'6" ?

Hartman - what I really liked about him was quick decision making and riffle of an arm. If he is actually north of 200bs and durable he is a legit top tier Power 5 QB. Hope we hang on to him.

Hartman - what I really liked about him was quick decision making and riffle of an arm. If he is actually north of 200bs and durable he is a legit top tier Power 5 QB. Hope we hang on to him.

obviously i also want hartman to stay, but he was awful at decision making last year, specifically on RPOs. that’s actually why i’m optimistic about his future — that seems like the thing most likely to improve upon with experience.

obviously i also want hartman to stay, but he was awful at decision making last year, specifically on RPOs. that’s actually why i’m optimistic about his future — that seems like the thing most likely to improve upon with experience.

Haha, quick decision making is good only if you make the right decisions.

Like Wolford. Like Price. Like Skinner.

He was on Pace to beat all Riley's records was he not? Without an elite defense which Riley was fortunate to have. Better freshman season than Wolford. I can't remember Tanner's off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure better as well.

There is an old dialogue about this.

What do you need to make good decisions?
Experience.
How do you get experience?
From making bad decisions.

wolford and price stunk as true frosh

Yes, but Price was really good as a sophomore.

To me it really shows emphasis on how much a R-Frosh campaign could have helped, especially with the new rules (though that wasn't in play for Price or Wolford). Wolford could have been a 5th year senior last year had Price been able to take a R-Frosh campaign. And Wake wins 8 or 9 games last year with Wolford.

On another issue- that 2014 roster on defense.....

Bud Noel
Marquel Lee
Kevin Johnson
Ryan Jnavion
Cam Glenn
Brad Watson
Thomas Brown
Zach Allen
Tylor Harris
Josh Banks
Brandon Chubb
Duke Ejiofor
Zeek Rodney
Williw Yarbary

Seems like we are a long ways away from that with the current roster.

Guys like Boogie, Strnad, Bassey and Shamar look like NFL talents, even if they are late rounders or UDFA

But agreed, we don't look to have the talented depth that we had in early Clawson year. Imagine having that defense with the offense of the last couple years

To me it really shows emphasis on how much a R-Frosh campaign could have helped, especially with the new rules (though that wasn't in play for Price or Wolford). Wolford could have been a 5th year senior last year had Price been able to take a R-Frosh campaign. And Wake wins 8 or 9 games last year with Wolford.

Bud Noel
Marquel Lee
Kevin Johnson
Ryan Jnavion
Cam Glenn
Brad Watson
Thomas Brown
Zach Allen
Tylor Harris
Josh Banks
Brandon Chubb
Duke Ejiofor
Zeek Rodney
Williw Yarbary

This list looks a lot better in retrospect than it did in 2014, when Yarbary and Glenn didn't play a snap, Ejiofor was second-string with 12 tackles and 2 sacks, and Janvion was whiffing on angles left and right. We were still starting Hunter Williams, Anthony Wooding, and a rFR Wendell Dunn that year, with Lewinson, Floyd, Dawson (rFR), Donatell, and Latter on the two-deep. Hopefully we'll be looking back at this defense in five years and saying the same things about Greer, Smenda, DJ Taylor, Essissima, and others who haven't even seen the field yet, much less had a chance to prove themselves.

Bud Noel
Marquel Lee
Kevin Johnson
Ryan Jnavion
Cam Glenn
Brad Watson
Thomas Brown
Zach Allen
Tylor Harris
Josh Banks
Brandon Chubb
Duke Ejiofor
Zeek Rodney
Williw Yarbary

Wait 4 years and then look back on our current defense. I think you'll change your mind.
We're still fairly young, but good (imho). Think we'll have some stars develop from our current group.

Back