• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Named QB1

Just a better fit for our offense and what we're looking to do. Let's go!!!

I guess Conor had to address the possibility of Hartman transferring but history shows patience is often rewarded.

What is up with the transfer reference? Is there some evidence that Hartman will leave if he isn't named starter? Otherwise doesn't seem necessary or appropriate to me.

It's reality with today's players. See Alabama and Clemson. Hartman is only a sohomore * and Newman a senior, so I wouldn't expect him to go. Plus Newman earned it on the field last year. *Edit, a RS junior. Ph beat me to it

Last edited:
It's reality with today's players. See Alabama and Clemson. Hartman is only a sophomore and Newman a senior, so I wouldn't expect him to go. Plus Newman earned it on the field last year.

Hartman is a true sophomore. Newman is a redshirt junior. Hartman could be the backup for two years. If he doesn't redshirt in those two years, he could have one year as a starter.

What is up with the transfer reference? Is there some evidence that Hartman will leave if he isn't named starter? Otherwise doesn't seem necessary or appropriate to me.

i agree 100%. Hope Conor is not trying to just sell papers. Clawson said Hartman took the news like a professional. Hope he realizes that he may very well be needed this year and not be a jerk like the kid from Clemson

i agree 100%. Hope Conor is not trying to just sell papers. Clawson said Hartman took the news like a professional. Hope he realizes that he may very well be needed this year and not be a jerk like the kid from Clemson
For the situation to be comparable with Kelly Bryant Hartman would have to Redshirt this year not play next year and then get passed over 2 years from now by a younger quarterback

Jerk from Clemson? You mean a kid that led you to a Natty, then the playoffs again, started the first 4 games of his senior season already having his degree to then get replaced by a very talented Freshman? I can't call that kid a jerk, i call him a player and winner who wants the chance to keep winning and playing. Mizzou is lucky to have him.

Trying to sell papers?! Cmon, man. (hahaha)

Look, I haven't been told Hartman is going to transfer. I wrote it cleaner in the second version of the story (with quotes, now up) that it's the climate of college football for quarterbacks to transfer. In the 247sports portal tracker, 120 QBs transferred since last season. As ph said on the other thread, if this is any other program and a sophomore who started 9 games in the previous year doesn't win the job, there's a possibility he transfers.

Clawson said Sam took the news maturely and professionally, but was disappointed because he's a competitor. Who's to say that disappointment won't boil into exploring other options in the next two weeks? I believe -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I've read that Kelly Bryant (though situations are hardly similar) took the news in stride when Dabo delivered it, and only after that did he no-show at practice and send a text that he was leaving the team.

Also, as I pointed out to somebody on Twitter, the thought that Sam won't leave because he's the "QB of the future" is silly. Michael Kern is a "QB of the future." So is Mitch Griffis. So will be whatever QB they recruit in the '21 class, and so forth.

This isn’t a good take.

Bryant leaving made perfect sense. He thought he had a shot to make the NFL. If he had stayed at Clemson, he would have only played again if Lawrence got hurt. It was illogical to think he would stay.

I don't see how Hartman leaving before or during this season would make any sense at all. First of all, unless he got some bogus exception, he would have to sit this season as a transfer, which means he would play in zero games. There is a good chance he plays in 4 games at Wake this season, and still gets to use it as a redshirt year. And even if he was able to get an exception to play this season at another school, there is a zero percent chance he shows up at a new school/system a week or two before the first game and wins the starting job. So then he is in the same position as he is at Wake, just in a system that he hasn't already played a season in.

You guys seem to ignore the fact that three of his high school teammates are on scholarship at Wake. Sam isn't going anywhere. BTW, they have bible class together which tells me they are all pretty tight.

Congratulations to Newman!

I agree, I think Hartman should stay for now.

So much terribleness in one post.

I wonder if Bud would have stayed at his undergraduate school if he was told that by staying he could never go to law school, but he could get into law school if he went somewhere else.

I wonder if Bud would have stayed at his undergraduate school if he was told that by staying he could never go to law school, but he could get into law school if he went somewhere else.

I get what you're saying but Bryant didn't have to leave Clemson to make the NFL. If he plays very well this season, he improved his chances though. If I were a Clemson fan I wouldn't like it but would understand it. Anyway, the obvious point is Hartman is in a very different position with the ability to play 1/3 of the season, redshirt, and spend two years as an upperclassman starting qb in the ACC for a very good coach in a system he's already proven he can run. I don't think he'll even consider transferring unless Kern (or someone even younger) beats him out.

Last edited:
Doubt Hartman goes anywhere. Wake needs 2 QBs with the way we run them. Hartman will get to play. Hopefully only need him in 4 games this year. IF Newman continues his climb the way he ended last season, he could be a 3rd or 4th rd pk in the 2020 draft. Scouts love 6’4 240lb QBs with speed and an arm. Sam could potentially be a RS So starter by next season

Back