Thread: Is Cable TV (and other outlets) partially responsible for political divisiveness

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar

Is Cable TV (and other outlets) partially responsible for political divisiveness

It didn't give me enough space to include the exclusion of cable news.

Here's my reason. Most of you are too young to remember not having 100, 200 or 1000 channels to watch and then stream even more. In the days before cable, the country had shared experiences every day. People would talk to each other and it was more difficult to draw lines in the sand.

Along this line, last year I spoke with a guy who made custom bats for a number of MLB players. We started talking about the lack of true characters and fun in baseball. He came up with an interesting concept that made some sense. He postulated the real turning point was CBA that gave every player private rooms in Spring Training and on the road. He said the players haven't known each other as well since then and it shows.

I think cable TV, streaming and other options have driven us apart. There's no way back, but is there a way to build more bridges rather than bombs?

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    40% chance

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    If only there was someway to poll the boards so we can see where we stand on the issue.

I disagree with you
    without a doubt the loss of certain amount of communal media experiences has contributed to divisiveness in general

when everyone can find their own version of reality facts are meaningless

Nope, the flagrant stupidity of baby boomers is.

I disagree with you
    yeah but has Ph even watched Arrow, yet

People are stupid, there is a reason TV ads work. They will be more willing to believe what the Ďall knowing TV personí is saying and do not follow up this information by other various news sources.

We see proof of this almost every day now...

Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    People are stupid, there is a reason TV ads work. They will be more willing to believe what the Ďall knowing TV personí is saying and do not follow up this information by other various news sources.

We see proof of this almost every day now...
    Especially once the Trumps start their own network. Trump attacking Fox sounds a little TOO suspicious

Expanding Mod Powers
    Yes they is.

Is this a rhetorical question?

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Yes they is.
    Serious question for grammarians, does the parenthetical part make the subject plural or does it get ignored, making it singular?

Quote Originally Posted by DeacHead View Post
    Serious question for grammarians, does the parenthetical part make the subject plural or does it get ignored, making it singular?
    I think it depends on perspective of reader.

Everyone knows the answer to this question is yes, so the debate should be to what extent is cable news responsible and can it be stopped/changed.

Scooter Banks
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonwolverine View Post
    Especially once the Trumps start their own network. Trump attacking Fox sounds a little TOO suspicious
    There's a reason that there is a church seemingly every mile in the south. People would start a church, then someone would disagree with that church on something, so boom...new church a mile down the road. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's going to be media in the 21st century...it's how 4chan spawned 8chan.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Thatís a good comparison.