• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Cable TV (and other outlets) partially responsible for political divisiveness

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
It didn't give me enough space to include the exclusion of cable news.

Here's my reason. Most of you are too young to remember not having 100, 200 or 1000 channels to watch and then stream even more. In the days before cable, the country had shared experiences every day. People would talk to each other and it was more difficult to draw lines in the sand.

Along this line, last year I spoke with a guy who made custom bats for a number of MLB players. We started talking about the lack of true characters and fun in baseball. He came up with an interesting concept that made some sense. He postulated the real turning point was CBA that gave every player private rooms in Spring Training and on the road. He said the players haven't known each other as well since then and it shows.

I think cable TV, streaming and other options have driven us apart. There's no way back, but is there a way to build more bridges rather than bombs?

If only there was someway to poll the boards so we can see where we stand on the issue.

without a doubt the loss of certain amount of communal media experiences has contributed to divisiveness in general

when everyone can find their own version of reality facts are meaningless

Nope, the flagrant stupidity of baby boomers is.

People are stupid, there is a reason TV ads work. They will be more willing to believe what the ‘all knowing TV person’ is saying and do not follow up this information by other various news sources.

We see proof of this almost every day now...

People are stupid, there is a reason TV ads work. They will be more willing to believe what the ‘all knowing TV person’ is saying and do not follow up this information by other various news sources.

We see proof of this almost every day now...

Especially once the Trumps start their own network. Trump attacking Fox sounds a little TOO suspicious :tinfoilhat:

Serious question for grammarians, does the parenthetical part make the subject plural or does it get ignored, making it singular?

I think it depends on perspective of reader.

Everyone knows the answer to this question is yes, so the debate should be to what extent is cable news responsible and can it be stopped/changed.

Especially once the Trumps start their own network. Trump attacking Fox sounds a little TOO suspicious :tinfoilhat:

There's a reason that there is a church seemingly every mile in the south. People would start a church, then someone would disagree with that church on something, so boom...new church a mile down the road. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's going to be media in the 21st century...it's how 4chan spawned 8chan.

That’s a good comparison.

Back