• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All time All-ACC football team. Plack is first team punter.

All in all, not a bad list. You can quibble over some of the names and whether too many FSU players are on it. The third team could certainly stand a chance against the first team.

I dunno, is Watson really the best ACC QB ever? Feels like recency bias.

It's an excellent list. It doesn't lean heavily toward the present or past. It relies on ACC honors and records not NFL careers. It's not heavy on 90s FSU or 10s Clemson players. I'm sure State fans will quibble about QB, but Watson, Ward, and Jackson are three of the most honored ACC QBs and have a legacy other ACC greats lack.

I thought for sure Curry and Phonz were gonna be monsters in the NFL

There is no consistency on the list. The writer alternated between players who were great in th ACC or have been great in the NFL (some both obviously.) Deshaun Watson? Really? Greg Olsen? He had 6 career touchdowns at Miami. Lamar Jackson? Where's Phillip Rivers? I could go on...

What a joke.

No mention of Boomer Esiason.

Joe Hamilton set ACC records for total yards, passing touchdowns, and total touchdowns, and finished second in Heisman voting. He was an ACC Top 50 player for the ACC's 50th Anniversiry in 2002 and is in the CF HOF, was ACC POY, ACC Offensive POY, NCAA QBOY, and Concensus AA.

Why couldn't Plack hang on in the league?

There is no consistency on the list. The writer alternated between players who were great in th ACC or have been great in the NFL (some both obviously.) Deshaun Watson? Really? Greg Olsen? He had 6 career touchdowns at Miami. Lamar Jackson? Where's Phillip Rivers? I could go on...

What a joke.

Ward was the first ACC QB who win the Heisman. Only three other ACC QBs have won the Heisman (Weinke, Jameis, and Jackson).

The TEs on the list are Olsen, Heath Miller, and Bennie Cunningham who was before my time. Who else do you have at TE? It hasn't been the strongest position in the ACC.

No mention of Boomer Esiason.

Joe Hamilton set ACC records for total yards, passing touchdowns, and total touchdowns, and finished second in Heisman voting. He was an ACC Top 50 player for the ACC's 50th Anniversiry in 2002 and is in the CF HOF, was ACC POY, ACC Offensive POY, NCAA QBOY, and Concensus AA.

This is Biff's most off-brand post ever.

Deshaun Watson was Heisman runner-up, 2 time ACC Athlete of the Year, 2 time O'Brien Award winner, ACC POY, and led his team to a National Championship.

he talked about it on here before

I seem to remember some challenges related to directional punting, especially inside the 20

could get away with a cannon leg in college, which was necessary by not sufficient in the NFL

he talked about it on here before

I seem to remember some challenges related to directional punting, especially inside the 20

could get away with a cannon leg in college, which was necessary by not sufficient in the NFL

Wake team usually provided Plack with plenty of field to just blast out cannon shot kicks. 20 to 20 was within range. He "flipped the field" on more than one occasion.

As noted above, NFL team didn't give him the real estate to work with. Touchbacks on punts not the thing. "Coffin corner" punts the NFL preferred option.

Norm Snead not on the list but the first player mentioned in the article. Underrated Deac.

I heard for decades that Choo Choo Justice is the best player ever.

Also, maybe five of these guys would make the SEC list, mostly as third teamers.

This is really pretty bad when you're talking all-time greats:

Third-team offense:
QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville;
OT Ereck Flowers, Miami;
OG Rodney Hudson, Florida State;
C Garrett Bradbury, NC State;
OG Mike McGee, Duke;
OT Stan Jones, Maryland;
WR Rashad Greene, Florida State;
WR Jamison Crowder, Duke;
TE Bennie Cunningham, Clemson;
RB James Conner, Pitt;
RB Amos Lawrence, North Carolina;
AP Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Last edited:
Wake team usually provided Plack with plenty of field to just blast out cannon shot kicks. 20 to 20 was within range. He "flipped the field" on more than one occasion.

As noted above, NFL team didn't give him the real estate to work with. Touchbacks on punts not the thing. "Coffin corner" punts the NFL preferred option.

Nowadays the NFL seems to want every punt to be a fair catch at the 10 yard line and punters are incredible at doing that.

Plack got drafted and played 3 seasons in the NFL. That's a damn good career for a punter. There are only 32 of them in the league at a time and most are in no danger of losing their job from year to year.

I heard for decades that Choo Choo Justice is the best player ever.

Also, maybe five of these guys would make the SEC list, mostly as third teamers.

This is really pretty bad when you're talking all-time greats:

Third-team offense:
QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville;
OT Ereck Flowers, Miami;
OG Rodney Hudson, Florida State;
C Garrett Bradbury, NC State;
OG Mike McGee, Duke;
OT Stan Jones, Maryland;
WR Rashad Greene, Florida State;
WR Jamison Crowder, Duke;
TE Bennie Cunningham, Clemson;
RB James Conner, Pitt;
RB Amos Lawrence, North Carolina;
AP Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Justice played before the ACC was formed. Otherwise he should have made the list. His all purpose yards record stood from 1949 to 1994.

Ward was the first ACC QB who win the Heisman. Only three other ACC QBs have won the Heisman (Weinke, Jameis, and Jackson).

The TEs on the list are Olsen, Heath Miller, and Bennie Cunningham who was before my time. Who else do you have at TE? It hasn't been the strongest position in the ACC.

This is Biff's most off-brand post ever.

Deshaun Watson was Heisman runner-up, 2 time ACC Athlete of the Year, 2 time O'Brien Award winner, ACC POY, and led his team to a National Championship.

Oh I agree that TE isn't the best position for the ACC, but Greg Olsen? Again, 6 TD's in his 3 year career. There are dudes who do that in 2 games. His NFL career has been very solid, admittedly, but that's not the criteria. Deshaun Watson was a great QB, but he absolutely not the best of all time. Come on... Lamar Jackson has a great 2 year run (really one) but his team was not all that great, especially the 2017 team.

Plack flipped the field just about every game he played. Coffin corner punts are dead. It's entirely about hangtime and pinning the offense inside the 10/20 on a fair catch. From memory, Plack was a master of the rugby style kick with all the backspin which is very prevalent these days. I think he mentioned not liking the NFL K balls? Plack can correct me if I'm misremembering if he's lurking.

What a joke.

State your case for Rivers. He didn't have any national honors. He was ACC POY, ACC OPOY, and ACC ROY. That's it. He's remember for being great because his era was a dead period for ACC QBs.

Feel free to list other TEs besides Olsen. He's one of my favorite players of all-time and he was before he went to the Panthers and I'd maybe put Miller ahead of him. Who do you have in mind who was better?
Oh I agree that TE isn't the best position for the ACC, but Greg Olsen? Again, 6 TD's in his 3 year career. There are dudes who do that in 2 games. His NFL career has been very solid, admittedly, but that's not the criteria. Deshaun Watson was a great QB, but he absolutely not the best of all time. Come on... Lamar Jackson has a great 2 year run (really one) but his team was not all that great, especially the 2017 team.

Back