• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

Which reminded me that I need to complain a little about the way the committee is positioning certain teams to help them build their narrative on a weekly basis.

Specifically Alabama (10-2) dropped 7 spots from 5 to 12 for losing to Auburn (9-3), which gained 4 spots from 15 to 11.

Then Wisconsin (10-2) gained 4 spots from 12 to 8 for beating Minnesota, who dropped 10 fucking spots to #18, meanwhile Penn State (10-2) stays at #10 while Michigan (9-3) only loses one slot, to #14. Minnesota is now only two slots ahead of #20 Cincinnati, who lost to a good G5 team this week but only dropped one slot. Now, pick out all of the teams from the past two sentences who played tOSU this year, and the one who didn't.

Baylor also conveniently jumped two spots to #7 after Alabama and Minnesota lost.

Also, Univ of SoCal (8-4) slides back into the rankings at #22, to make Utah look good and Oklahoma State (8-4) hangs on to the #25 slot, dropping four places, after losing to Oklahoma.

I do think LSU will leapfrog OSU after handling UGA.

#1 seed is huge this year, both for venue and for matchup against a shitty #4 seed.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money this is not the case, unless LSU has a much more dominant performance, which is unlikely. The committee already pretty much said last night they're not going to penalize OSU for beating the same good team twice. What would Wisconsin be ranked if they didn't already have to play OSU once during the regular season? Similarly, what would UGA be ranked if they had already been trounced by LSU? In either scenario, they'd be separated probably by one or two spots in the polls.

Which reminded me that I need to complain a little about the way the committee is positioning certain teams to help them build their narrative on a weekly basis.

Specifically Alabama (10-2) dropped 7 spots from 5 to 12 for losing to Auburn (9-3), which gained 4 spots from 15 to 11.

Then Wisconsin (10-2) gained 4 spots from 12 to 8 for beating Minnesota, who dropped 10 fucking spots to #18, meanwhile Penn State (10-2) stays at #10 while Michigan (9-3) only loses one slot, to #14. Minnesota is now only two slots ahead of #20 Cincinnati, who lost to a good G5 team this week but only dropped one slot. Now, pick out all of the teams from the past two sentences who played tOSU this year, and the one who didn't.

Baylor also conveniently jumped two spots to #7 after Alabama and Minnesota lost.

Also, Univ of SoCal (8-4) slides back into the rankings at #22, to make Utah look good and Oklahoma State (8-4) hangs on to the #25 slot, dropping four places, after losing to Oklahoma.

In 2017 they inexplicably ranked a mediocre 9-3/9-4 Fresno State team, with no P5 wins and an even worse loss to Washington, to help prop up Bama. Pretty much every year they go out of their way to prop up the SEC, so this is a refreshing change of pace.

Could you clarify something for me?

I understand the reason why you put down the Clemson & Ohio State schedules... But they are, to a degree, captive to their conferences. Ironically, the team that was exposed as overrated due to a weak schedule was an SEC school (Alabama)

But do you really think the Clemson and Ohio State aren't really really good? Like at least Top 3 in the country good?

I don't see how any rational college football watcher could argue that LSU/OSU/Clemson aren't the 3 best teams in the country right now. Maybe you aren't making that argument. That's why I am asking.

I think Clemson and tOSU are very good. I loathe Clemson's schedule and Dabo's whining. People decry the use of the eye-test in ranking teams, but what do you have for Clemson otherwise ?

Alabama was ultimately exposed as not being able to overcome an injury to one of the best quarterbacks in the nation in a rivlary game on the road against a team that is now 2-3 against teams ranked in the top 13 in the nation, due to two Pick-6's and a missed chip shot field goal. Maybe they're not quite as good as they were the last two years, but I think they would have definitely plowed through Clemson's schedule and would be 12-0 going into a game against Virginia.

what do you mean by loathing Clemson's schedule? they can't help the fate of the ACC schools they faced and they actually had 2 SEC schools on the schedule this year. One obviously is a perpetual in-state rival, and the other is a team that should've been better than they are. But Clemson generally tries to schedule tough OOC teams. Other than the ACC-mandated occasional Notre Dame game and the annual SCAR games, they've got upcoming tilts with LSU, UGA, and App.

I mean being the champion of the ACC doesn't mean shit. Their starters are done halfway through the third quarter every week, having barely broken a sweat on the way to a 52-3 victory over the second best team in their division while Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Auburn are slugging it out for four quarters with each other. Clemson ran up bigger scores against the Atlantic Division than it did against its entire out of conference schedule, including UNC-Charlotte and Wofford.

so doesn't that just show Clemson is really fucking good, since most other ACC games are much closer?

so doesn't that just show Clemson is really fucking good, since most other ACC games are much closer?

No. What are the marquee wins by the conference this year ?

Clemson beat Texas A&M back around Labor Day and also beat USC. UNC-CH pulled one out against USC. Wake beat Utah State ?

Pitt lost a close game to Penn State. Miami and FSU both lost to Florida. Kentucky killed Louisville. Georgia slaughtered Ga Tech. The conference took five shots at ND and lost them all. Duke got plastered by Alabama, and everybody knows how terrible Alabama is. That tough Syracuse team we lost to on Saturday lost to Maryland by 43 points. Boston College lost to fucking Kansas in what was the Jayhawks first road win in 49 tries.

The PAC12 isn't much better, but at least Utah has the handicap of traveling 700 miles to play an away game.

No. What are the marquee wins by the conference this year ?

Clemson beat Texas A&M back around Labor Day and also beat USC. UNC-CH pulled one out against USC. Wake beat Utah State ?

Pitt lost a close game to Penn State. Miami and FSU both lost to Florida. Kentucky killed Louisville. Georgia slaughtered Ga Tech. The conference took five shots at ND and lost them all. Duke got plastered by Alabama, and everybody knows how terrible Alabama is. That tough Syracuse team we lost to on Saturday lost to Maryland by 43 points. Boston College lost to fucking Kansas in what was the Jayhawks first road win in 49 tries.

none of that says anything about Clemson being bad. I will recant this statement if they get embarrassed in the CFP, but until then I maintain they could and very well might win the whole thing again.

I didn't say Clemson is bad. They have a tremendous advantage in not playing anybody and still getting a #3 ranking that their dipshit coach complains about.

One last thing, I've heard a number of people say over the past few days that Clemson is getting in regardless of this weekend's results. I do not agree with that assertion in the least as Baylor, Oklahoma, Utah, and even a couple of two loss teams would have better resumes, especially wrt whom they've beaten this season and this weekend.

Clemson is not losing to UVA. While Bryce Perkins has been a beast, their defense has been depleted by injuries; lost in UVA's 4 game winning streak to close the season is that UVA surrendered:

- 31 to UNC
- 28 to GA Tech (think about that)
- 27 to Liberty
- 30 to VT

Clemson will score 40+; 50 is certainly reasonable. The most Clemson has given up this year is 20; the next highest is 14. Absent Trevor Lawrence getting knocked out of the game and a massive stomach virus hitting the Clemson defense, the game is not winnable for UVA. They are happy they got to the ACCCG. Last week was the UVA Super Bowl as they finally beat VT.

If the impossible happens, agree that the Tigers could get left out depending on what happens in the other games.

Clemson is the best team in the country. The SEC can suck it yet again when the ACC takes another national championship. Like we do in basketball etc etc. Same talk every year.

I think OSU vs LSU for the #1 spot to avoid a semi with Clemson is a close race going into the weekend. If LSU beats Georgia, I'd move them back to #1, but I'm ok with OSU. I expect OSU will destroy Wisconsin for lots of style points.

OSU best wins:
8 Wisconsin
8 Wisconsin
10 Penn State
14 Michigan
20 Cincinnati

LSU best wins:
4 Georgia
9 Florida
11 Auburn
12 Alabama

I don't think OU and Utah for the #4 spot is as close. OU will have beaten #7 Baylor twice plus Oklahoma St. Utah still doesn't have a win against a ranked team - Oregon would be their first. I'm guessing Oregon will beat Utah, OU will beat Baylor, and OU will be in.

I think OSU vs LSU for the #1 spot to avoid a semi with Clemson is a close race going into the weekend. If LSU beats Georgia, I'd move them back to #1, but I'm ok with OSU. I expect OSU will destroy Wisconsin for lots of style points.

OSU best wins:
8 Wisconsin
8 Wisconsin
10 Penn State
14 Michigan
20 Cincinnati

LSU best wins:
4 Georgia
9 Florida
11 Auburn
12 Alabama

I don't think OU and Utah for the #4 spot is as close. OU will have beaten #7 Baylor twice plus Oklahoma St. Utah still doesn't have a win against a ranked team - Oregon would be their first. I'm guessing Oregon will beat Utah, OU will beat Baylor, and OU will be in.

With Pac-10 getting left out the last two years, I think there will be a strong push to select Utah if they dominate Oregon. That said, Oklahoma's AD is on the selection committee; so, he will be networking to ensure that the Sooners don't get left out. If Utah wins big on Friday, OU will also need to win big to get selected over the Utes.

Back